Thread: 078 Wire Drive

Default 078 Wire Drive

Hi all, How is the proper way to solder the wire into the prop shaft? I just ruined two shafts trying to get the solder to stick, the soldering iron never gets hot enough and the torch is too hot.

If the glue is way its done then what kind of glue?

It needs to be VERY strong, im putting extreme power to it.

Thanks, John

Cool

Never use solder, almost no one has the skills to do it correctly without damaging the wire temper.
    Use LocTite 603, Steve sells it: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=mc-loc603

Some guys like the 638 product, I prefer 603. The wire usually breaks before the glue bond does.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Never use solder, almost no one has the skills to do it correctly without damaging the wire temper.
    Use LocTite 603, Steve sells it: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=mc-loc603

Some guys like the 638 product, I prefer 603. The wire usually breaks before the glue bond does.

Even if you can get the wire soldered in using silver solder, the solder can break before the wire, sending the shaft in to the deep blue.

4500 psi break point, Loc-Tite is the way to go.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    sending the shaft in to the deep blue.

solder them with O2 and acetylene torches, put solder in the stub shaft, heat it up till the solder is melted then stick the wire in. make sure to use silver solder and put flux on the shaft before you stick it in the stub shaft .
    too much power not in the FE racing dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by GP73 View Post
    The good news is, the new shafts have 1.5" deep press fit holes for the wire... and are loc-tite secured.

U1, have you had good luck doing the silver solder? I had a problem with them breaking loose in the stub at about a 445 size prop. Did a real nice job of heating them up slowly with the torch and getting a good solder flow with flux on the wire, but they just seemed to come loose under load. The wires come out with a clear covering in silver solder so was clear the flow was good. They were scuffed a bit before assembly too.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Loctite is the easiest & well proven to do, I think 603 is probably the most used one as its oil tolerant as well. Meaning if theirs slight traces of oil it will still bond, Some also use 638 which isnt oil tolerant so you have to make sure every thing is degreased very well. But 638 gives a stronger bond but has a higher viscocty so might not run into every area as well as the lower viscosity 603. Either will give a good bond if done correctly. Martin.

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded! I am putting another order in with steven and will be getting some of the 603.

Thanks again, John