Thread: Seaking 180A ESC Questions

Default Seaking 180A ESC Questions

Got a couple questions as I will be using this tonight to program my ESC.

1. Does it require it's own power source? Or can I simply hook it up to the ESC?
    2. I'll be running 2 3S lipos and 2 2S lipos. I will set the cell count to 6. But do I need to change it to 4 when running the 2S? Or do you set it at 6 and leave it alone?

Thanks in advance guys.

Jason

Yes you need to power up the esc even if your not using the internal bec. If you are using a programming box this still applies, just everything plugs into the box and not the rx. Yes you have to reset it to 4 cell when running the 2 2s packs. You could leave it to auto calculate. It will calculate voltage upon plug in so make sure batteries are fresh or it will not calculate correctly. Some have had problems with auto calculate.

Hope this helps.
    If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

just was reading your note,,,I too have a t180 ,,, I plugged mine into the rx and it is working ...I haven't put it in the water yet.....so what your saying I can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by davey View Post
    just was reading your note,,,I too have a t180 ,,, I plugged mine into the rx and it is working ...I haven't put it in the water yet.....so what your saying I can't do this
    Not sure what your asking.

you were saying I can't plug my ESC into the RX

Please re read my post. I beleive the OP was asking about programming his esc. If you are programming via the programming box you rx leads gets plugged I to the box and not the rx. When programming is complete you need to plug the leads back into the rx.

If your programming though the tx then everything will stay plugged in to the rx.

Hope that made sense.

Thanks Mopar. Does the programming box require it's own power source? Or does it get power from having the ESC plugged in to the box?

Sorry if this seems like a supid question. This is the first time I've had to buy aftermarket stuff.

If you have the bec enabled on the esc then all you need to do is plug the esc into the box and connect a lipo to the esc.

If you have an external bec or using an rx pack you have to plug in the esc to the box, connect a lipo to the esc AND power up the box using the external bec or rx pack. On the box there is two inputs. One is for the esc lead and one is for a power lead. Make sure you have them in the correct one and the polarity is correct.

I'm reading that I need to shut the BEC off with 4S and above. Is this true? And how do you shut it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Snafujg View Post
    I'm reading that I need to shut the BEC off with 4S and above. Is this true? And how do you shut it off?
    I use the "golden" rule of not using the BEC with lipos over 3S if the ESC has a BEC function. Thats because in the past alot of ESC have been using a switching type circuit for the BEC function. Todays ESC now seem to be using a better linear design supply. So heat is not an issue as with the switching type.

But there have been many "mysterious" deaths of the T180 ESC and folks were using 4S and higher packs. The T180 is factory rated to run 6S and the BEC. So the question becomes, "Do I gamble with using it on 4S and greater" or do you just default and use an external BEC or Rx pack? Its your ESC. And your going to get the crowd saying they have indeed been using the internal BEC on 4S and higher. I wont preach. Go with what you can stand to lose.

Forgot to add if you dont want the internal BEC function pull out the center red wire off the Rx connector. Isolate it electrically, like with some heat shrink or electrical tape, but pull it out of the flat 3 pin connector.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    I use the "golden" rule of not using the BEC with lipos over 3S if the ESC has a BEC function. Thats because in the past alot of ESC have been using a switching type circuit for the BEC function. Todays ESC now seem to be using a better linear design supply. So heat is not an issue as with the switching type.

John
    I believe it the other way around. CC had a article about this before. That's why the older hydras which has a linear bec could only handle 3s. The new switching types can deal with a lot more voltage.

So i tried to use the programming card this weekend, but all I got was a dash in each little window where I should have seen a number. I made sure that the programming card was for Boats, and not Cars, and it is.

Any ideas? Bad card maybe?

So i tried to use the programming card this weekend, but all I got was a dash in each little window where I should have seen a number. I made sure that the programming card was for Boats, and not Cars, and it is.

Well, here is how I do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=act-jrhOZ4Q

with the marine template.

not sure what you mean by a dash, but its' not unlikely that you got a bad card.
    stuff hapends.

I use the card at the lake, since i run both 4s and 5s , so it's nice to have since it only takes a few sec's to reprogram it and change the voltage and timing.Not using auto detect anymore, and also using a seperat rx pack. the 180 is about a year old and still going.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And also just use an servo wire extension and pull the red wire out of that, so when programing the 180 at the lake you just pull it out of the extension, and into the program box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You only need to disable bec for 5s and above.

Yes thats the card i have, But not using a rx pack for power, just main cells 4s.
    Thinking of trying 2s for power, not shore if it will hurt anything like 1515 1y motor or 180 seaking esc.
    Thanks for help and video.
    Last edited by lenny; 06-06-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spell

Do you have the motor connected? If not it needs to be also.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
    It does? Not mine :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
    Yes, it is connected.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post
    It does? Not mine :-)
    I never ran into this problem with the half dozen or so of these that I went through. A while ago someone solved their programming problem by having the motor hooked up. I was just forwarding that information hopping that Snafujg could get his to work.

Yes, it is connected.
    I'm sorry your running into these problems. The only advice I can give from here is just double check all connections. If it still don't go, I have no idea. It's not that hard to program with the tx it just takes a little more attention. Wish you luck.

Aloha

I thought I should update this. I got the programming card to work. It helps if you put the ESC into Programming mode before connecting the card. Once it was in programming mode, the card worked great! Thanks to all of you for your help.