Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada Postal Strike

There is no comparing you taking out u r garbage and living in it and with it hot weather, cold weather, every day. Don't even go there.

How do I know well did that one summer while getting my first degree.

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    When I was in grade 11 there was a teachers strike, I got a good 3 week vacation in the first term of the year :D

Even without a strike, that's a great way to get stuff cheaper. For some reason shipping in Canada is much more expensive (it's usually cheaper to ship to the US than to another address in Canada), just like flights within Canada.

USPS is also offering some kind of service to Canada that guarantees delivery even if there is a strike. I don't know the details of it, but LarrysDrifter got a quote from them to send me a UL-1 that was guaranteed in a couple days regardless of what Canada Post is doing. It wasn't cheap, but it would get there!
    I know in the past, some stuff sent to me by US sellers was delivered on this side of the border by Purolator Courier.

Yes, our US friends, Purolator (the oil filter company) actually is a courier company up here in Canada. I don't even know if we can buy Purolator filters up here at all, but if wikipedia is to be believed, Purolator bought a courier company to, you guessed it, deliver filters. The courier company was then sold off back to Canadian owners, but kept the name. Fun fact: 91% of Purolator is owned by...Canada Post Corporation (small world eh?)

Anyway, enough of the history tangent. I guess if you ship USPS a certain, particularly fast way, Purolator will take it once it crosses the border and deliver it.

Hi Guys,

i just received this from my local postal annex that i use for my international shipping.
    I hope all of this gets worked for of you guys up north soon, i ship alot of parts up your way...

Giz.

here is the email i received

Buddy,

Just a head’s up: The Canadian post office is on strike and as of midnight Saturday the USPS is no longer accepting shipments for Canada, until the strike is settled.

The package you sent Saturday was accepted, because the ruling hadn’t been made yet, but it MAY take a long time to get there, depending on how the mail in Canada is being handled. I assume there will be a delay, but can’t say how long.

In the meantime, though, until you hear the strike is settled, I wouldn’t accept any orders from Canada.

Wayne Halberg

Postal Annex at Imperial Oaks
    JAE21 Rigger, ML Boatworks PS 295 Tunnel , TS3 FE Tunnel , H & M No Step 3 Mono , H & M Skater , Wildcat EP , Rio EP .

i'm waiting for stuff, I hop they get it done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    i'm waiting for stuff, I hop they get it done soon.
    worst case scenario, they will likely be legislated back to work as of Thursday, meaning mail delivery should resume by Friday.

awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kookie_guy View Post
    worst case scenario, they will likely be legislated back to work as of Thursday, meaning mail delivery should resume by Friday.
    That is not the worst case scenario being reported currently. The newly elected NDP opposition is not happy with the government interfering with the negotiation process - they'd prefer the union and corporation reach a settlement through traditional bargaining. They have stated that they will challenge back to work legislation.

But the conservatives have a majority right? So what could the NDP do? They can all take their sweet time debating it. The vote can't take place until debate is done.

How long can that take? Well, worst case in the past, a bill has been delayed 55 days in debate before a vote took place.

What does this mean?

It means, the NDP could potentially hold up a legislated resolution to the strike for 2 more months.

As much as I hate to admit it, they (the NPD) do have a point. The corporation and union should have to try hammering out a deal the old fashioned way, but that won't make my parcels arrive any sooner.

Especially since the only reason for the full "strike" is that they were all locked out by the corporation when they were on the rotating strike plan. What the Harper government is basically doing is telling the workers who were locked out that they have to go back to work, makes sense right?

I tried to ship something to Canada on Friday, I believe. The only option was international express for $60 for an item that usually would be $30 or so. At least the buyer is understanding. He told me to hold off a week or so in hopes the strike would be over.

I have never enjoyed sending anything to Canada because their customs and post systems leave a lot to be desired. But with the STrike, it's the worst! I have less trouble shipping to Russia, Australia, Dubai, Romania, Mexico, etc., than to Canada, notwithstanding the strike.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Not sure how it's working, but I got an email stating a package had been sent my way via USPS from OSE yesterday. It's just a prop, velcro and some heat shrink tubing and I didn't get anything from Steven saying shipping charges would be way higher.

I wonder if it matters where in Canada it's going, my package from OSE is coming to just north of Toronto (Thornhill).

The package I was trying to send was in Toronto also. So not sure.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Guess it depends on the mood of the person taking the shipment. For all I know they took the one headed to me knowing that Canada Post wouldn't accept it and it'll be sitting waiting to be handed off.

As far as I know as of Saturday USPS is not accepting any package for Canada.

HK will not ship any package for Canada until further notice.

I hear what you're saying, but the email I got yesterday morning says otherwise:

Seller
    Offshore Electrics Inc.
    sales@offshoreelectrics.com

Shipping address - confirmed
    Will Parsons
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX
    Thornhill, Ontario
    XXXXXX
    Canada

Shipping details
    Mailing date: Jun 20, 2011
    Shipper: U.S. Postal Service
    Tracking number: LJ.........US
    Service type: Priority Mail International®
    Shipping Status: Shipped

I didn't place the order until about 4:30 pm Sunday, so it's not a delayed email.

From the Toronto Star about 17 minutes ago:

"While the NDP has vowed to delay the legislation, Government House Leader Peter Van Loan told reporters that he expects the legislation will pass on Thursday or Friday, and then would go to the Senate. Mail service likely won’t resume until next week."

Sounds like we may finally have some light at the end of the tunnel.

Also - for those ouf you who don't know how the government of Canada can force anyone back to work:

For organized labour, the Harper government’s swift action to bring in back-to-work legislation, in the Canada Post and Air Canada disputes sends a strong message.

“They have placed the labour movement on notice that the right to strike doesn’t really exist in Canada, even in the private sector,” said Ontario Federation of Labour president Sid Ryan. “(Harper) has thrown down the gauntlet, and said your move is next.

Yes, in Canada, the right to strike has been challenged and found not to be a constitutional right up in the great white north. If the government sees fit, it can force you back to work. What are the penalties?

The legislation also sets out penalties if the union or Canada Post defies the legislation, including up to $50,000 a day for union or company official, and up to $100,000 a day for the company or union. Individuals would face up to $1,000 a day.

Yikes!

And all I wanted was my boat that's stuck in the mail...

Good news to all Canadian buyers in the forum:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/25...d-back-to-work
    (Not particularly good news for the postal union, but at least the workers can start drawing a wage again).

So if all goes to plan, the mail will start moving some time on Monday. Hopefully the US post office will start accepting new mail heading to Canada shortly thereafter.

Time to start buying again - from the forums AND from OSE!

Sweet, my batteries and new prop will finally get here!
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

A very somber, yeay.... Yeah, my stuff will be on the way soon too...

Not liking the Harper Gestapo tactics. I dislike him with great passion.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Although I am glad the LOCKOUT is over, (this was more of a Lockout than a strike) This does not bode well for future labour disputes.

OTTAWA – The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) says the Harper government has sent a message to all workers with its unjust and punitive bill legislating postal workers back to work.

“The government is clearly willing to side with employers to grind down wages and working conditions,” said CUPW National President Denis Lemelin. “Its decision to use back-to-work legislation in the Canada Post and Air Canada disputes was not neutral. The Conservatives have shown themselves to be very anti-worker after only two months of majority government.”

Lemelin said the government’s assertion that its legislation was necessary to protect the economy is illogical. He said postal workers had offered to return to work. “The government has attacked our right to freely negotiate the conditions we work under,” said Lemelin. “It appears that only markets and employers will have freedoms in this country.”

“The union’s struggle for safe work, decent jobs and pensions will continue in spite of this unjust and punitive bill. Fortunately, the government can’t legislate away our determination to fight for our rights,” said Lemelin.

Lemelin added that postal workers are very grateful for the support they received from people all across the country and opposition Members of Parliament, especially members of the New Democratic Party (NDP) who eloquently defended free collective bargaining for 58 hours straight. He said the NDP’s filibuster was successful in provoking a resumption of negotiations between CUPW and Canada Post over the last few days, but that the negotiations had ultimately failed.

“Canada Post was uncompromising from the moment Harper’s government introduced back-to-work legislation,” said Lemelin.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    A very somber, yeay.... Yeah, my stuff will be on the way soon too...

Not liking the Harper Gestapo tactics. I dislike him with great passion.
    Agreed and agreed. He's a bit too much like a dictator for me.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

I'm glad it went down the way it did. Maybe now the employees will go to the union and fire the idiot leader. The union is at fault here. There was an offer on the table, and rather than letting the enployees vote on the offer, they took it upon themselves to say no. THAT'S when the lockout took place. It was a good offer, and from what I hear, most of the posties are pissed off they didn't get a chance to vote, as they would have gladly accepted the generous offer. But because the union makes more money when the employees make more money, they (the union) wanted more. Once they herd about the legislature and that their raise structure would be determined by a 3rd party, they (the union) started crying to union Jack to negotiate for ammendments to the government deal. Tough luck, you got greedy, the corporation called your bluff, and now you loose. The employees are still getting a raise that's higher than most of the Canadian population will get.

I applaud Harper for taking the action he did. I'm disguisted by the way Layton stalled the inevitable, and put small businesses (the ones he claimed he would go to bat for during his campaign) in financial struggle with no postal service for the 2 or 3 weeks it lasted. Small businesses rely on mail to get paid and ship merchandise, THEY are the ones hurting. Screw my boat parts in the mail, it's a stupid toy boat that's totally insignificant in the big picture of life. When a bisiness is forced to shut down during the strike and can't afford to pay it's employees, THOSE are the people hurt by all this, as they rely on that income to make end meet. In my opinion, Layton likely lost all the backing he has from small business owners by doing what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by kookie_guy View Post
    I'm glad it went down the way it did. Maybe now the employees will go to the union and fire the idiot leader. The union is at fault here. There was an offer on the table, and rather than letting the enployees vote on the offer, they took it upon themselves to say no. THAT'S when the lockout took place. It was a good offer, and from what I hear, most of the posties are pissed off they didn't get a chance to vote, as they would have gladly accepted the generous offer. But because the union makes more money when the employees make more money, they (the union) wanted more. Once they herd about the legislature and that their raise structure would be determined by a 3rd party, they (the union) started crying to union Jack to negotiate for ammendments to the government deal. Tough luck, you got greedy, the corporation called your bluff, and now you loose. The employees are still getting a raise that's higher than most of the Canadian population will get.

I applaud Harper for taking the action he did. I'm disguisted by the way Layton stalled the inevitable, and put small businesses (the ones he claimed he would go to bat for during his campaign) in financial struggle with no postal service for the 2 or 3 weeks it lasted. Small businesses rely on mail to get paid and ship merchandise, THEY are the ones hurting. Screw my boat parts in the mail, it's a stupid toy boat that's totally insignificant in the big picture of life. When a bisiness is forced to shut down during the strike and can't afford to pay it's employees, THOSE are the people hurt by all this, as they rely on that income to make end meet. In my opinion, Layton likely lost all the backing he has from small business owners by doing what he did.
    I agree 100%..................well said
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

It's over, enough said I guess. Time to cloe her down I think.

Cheers, here come our goodies :)
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher 67 View Post
    I agree 100%..................well said

"IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT AND THOUGHT A FOOL THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT"

Moderator could move this to off topic please...

Just some more crap by Canada Post Corp. Maybe they don't want to pay any overtime now???

When I spoke to my postman, he said don't expect your packages too soon, now I know why...

For Immediate Release

Ottawa: First they were locked out. Then they were legislated back again. Now postal workers in some parts of the country are being handed a new delivery policy telling them they can’t deliver the mail even though they are back on the job.

“In some places, Canada Post is telling letter carriers to bring back mail, even if they aren’t finished their route,” said Denis Lemelin, National President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. “Piles of backlogged mail are sitting in postal depots while Canada Post pushes its employees around.”

In Montreal, Windsor, Hamilton, Scarborough and Kitchener, letter carriers reporting for duty were instructed to return all their undelivered mail to their originating office after eight hours of work. Prior to the labour dispute, letter carriers would have been able to deliver mail to all the addresses on their route.

The union points out that the new policy will further hold up mail delivery, which was shut down by Canada Post on June 14th.

“Canada Post has an obligation to provide postal service to all citizens under the Canada Post Corporation Act,” said Lemelin. “Instead, management continues to hold the public’s mail hostage.”

“The Harper government claimed it had to legislate us back to work because getting the mail moving is vital for the economy. What is the Minister of Labour going to do about Canada Post putting policies in place that delay large volumes of mail?”
    Nortavlag Bulc

For Immediate Release

Ottawa: First they were locked out. Then they were legislated back again. Now postal workers in some parts of the country are being handed a new delivery policy telling them they can’t deliver the mail even though they are back on the job.

“In some places, Canada Post is telling letter carriers to bring back mail, even if they aren’t finished their route,” said Denis Lemelin, National President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. “Piles of backlogged mail are sitting in postal depots while Canada Post pushes its employees around.”

In Montreal, Windsor, Hamilton, Scarborough and Kitchener, letter carriers reporting for duty were instructed to return all their undelivered mail to their originating office after eight hours of work. Prior to the labour dispute, letter carriers would have been able to deliver mail to all the addresses on their route.

The union points out that the new policy will further hold up mail delivery, which was shut down by Canada Post on June 14th.

“Canada Post has an obligation to provide postal service to all citizens under the Canada Post Corporation Act,” said Lemelin. “Instead, management continues to hold the public’s mail hostage.”

“The Harper government claimed it had to legislate us back to work because getting the mail moving is vital for the economy. What is the Minister of Labour going to do about Canada Post putting policies in place that delay large volumes of mail?”

and u guys wonder why there are unions? lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

The problem is, that carriers used to be able to finish their route much faster than 8 hours. But now because they are pissed off how things got settled, they are working at a slower pace to try and prove some point. They are forgetting that it's the union's fault they didn't get a chance to make more money. Their right to vote on the deal was taken away by the union, NOT the corporation. I hope Canada Post now recognizes which employess are not performing up to the standards of their job, and they get fired, like any other hard working person would. If you don't meet the company's expectations, sorry, you are not a good fit for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    They need a union for what in this case? Their employer is telling them not to work more than 8 hours to get all the mail delivered. All this is doing is a) delaying mail and b) stopping them from proving a point by working extra slowly.

I totally agree that the union let them down in a huge way and is the whole cause for this mess. Had the union been looking out for the employees it is supposed to represent it would have put the offer to vote (which would apparently have passed very easily from what I've read) instead of refusing to even present it to the workers, which forced the lockout.

IMO just another reason why unions AREN'T needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post

I would love to hear why you think that they should be allowed overtime? They are given plenty of time to fiinish their route and usually get home after aprox. 4 hrs of mail delivery and they still get paid for 8. Now they have to work a full 8hrs to try and finish their route because of a backlog.

Just another way the Union looks for public support and trying hard to turn the blame to the corp.

.....awwwwwwweeeee the poor mailman!!

Sorry, I don't have any sympathy for them at all, it's just typical union B.S.!
    "IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT AND THOUGHT A FOOL THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT"

I just want my boat parts...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast