Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just recieved my new Motley Crew today

Quote Originally Posted by 6sHyper View Post
    However someONE needs to step up to the plate and remedy this situation, and in reality this situation should never have happened, and i'm not talking about driveshafts, i could care less about that and i expect that sort of stuff from a RTR, heck i had planned to upgrade my flex, motor and esc before I even recieved mine, but the finish work on the hull is completely unacceptable and should have never been sold, now WHO is at fault for that??

Again,

Hobby Services should be your course of action.

Later,
    Mike

That's exactly my point, many people are sheep with that said they will read a post like yours and think the boat is a lemon when in fact there is probably a good number really clean boats with nothing wrong just like mine.

My advice is next time you buy an RTR don't buy it online. Go to a hobby shop open the box like I did and make sure you are happy with what you are getting. I know better than to buy an RTR without seeing it before I buy and I'm willing to bet you do now too.

Well if people read this and say hmm the proboat comes with a better finish I'll buy that one since I don't want a boat with a bad finish then it is up to Aquacraft to to resolve the issue with the finish. I don't owe them anything, it's exactly the opposite they would owe me a boat with a flawless finish. This thing isn't cheap. I spend my money based on reviews and opinion. if 50% of the people say the finish sucks then they won't get my money. Even if I was planning on refinishing the boat, it's the fact that it shouldn't leave the factory that way!
    Would you buy a new car with a rough fish eye finish on it from the dealer?
    I absolutely love the SV for our club class, recommend it to people who stop by the pond and watch, but I'd feel pretty bad if I recommended this boat and the guy gets a lemon!
    LOL buy from a dealer in Canada? I've haven't seen a boat in any of the hobby shops around my area for about 15 years, not even boat parts. I have to order everything on line! I'd almost bet there isn't one in stock in all of Ontario!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I recieved my MC from OSE and the finish was very good and I am pleased with it. I did have the poor alignment of the cable and a sloppy solder job on the end too.

Hobby Hobby has them in stock, they are great to deal with as well.

That said I wish they had more boat parts, they carry mostly planes.

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    LOL buy from a dealer in Canada? I've haven't seen a boat in any of the hobby shops around my area for about 15 years, not even boat parts. I have to order everything on line! I'd almost bet there isn't one in stock in all of Ontario!

Great so there must have been 2 left at ose and you got the good one and i got the junk one, geezzzzz just my luck, LOL.

If someone got one from us that is not happy, AS long as its not used and not tinkered with, we can accept it back for a refund. Email me for details.

As for quality, my sons boat has sponson tips like yours. But it really didn't phase him after he ran it. It performed as good or better then boats that we spent $500 in parts without a paint-job.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

seems i am with siberianhuskey....i dont want a 350 dollar shelf queen that throws my best props to davy jones locker...i kinda like white anyway on a boat....but then again if steven's son beats my mg by a few laps..which is entirely possable i might look into the second batch
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Hello everyone I am new to the site and RC boating not sure if this is the right place to post but here it goes. I got my new mc Friday and since that time I have run my boat a total of 2 min and been threw 2 prop shafts the second one which I had to by being my lhs said it was something I did. Then when my second one broke I called the lhs and they told me they would call aquacraft they callede back today and said ac told them that they haven't heard of the problem which to me seems funny whither all the threads I have read on here about them. So they told my lhs they would send them out a new one which I don't have faith in it lasting more then a min or so. I just don't understand how guys on here r saying I should check out my brand new boat and make adjustment to them when it is brand new. If I go buy a brand new car my driveshaft shouldn't snap in the first mile I belive it is the same concept Sorry this is so long just frustrated that this is my first boat and probably my last with the way this is being handeld

People seem to forget that this is a hobby. Not a toy. It should be checked out structurally and mechanically before you run it.
    If there is a problem, call hobby services.

It seems nobody reads a manual any more.
    I'd suggest getting an upgraded cable and not using an Aquacraft cable.

Well I bought mine at a hobby store...they wouldn't take it back ,,,kinda new that,,,I'm not new....and as for AQ ,,they want me to ship it back....not happening...not spending 50 bucks more...I'm on my own I guess....I just have one thing to say.......Of all my boats that I've either bought or built,,,I don't consider them toys...but as for the Motley crew,,,it is a cheap flimsy toy...with a cheap motor and cheap everything,,,,maybe my 5 year old son will like it in the bath tub....

Very true I read the manual a couple of times before I took it out if I have to check everything the first time out why call it a rtr this was my first boat and not happy with it like I said if I buy something brand new I don't think I should have to take it apart and rebuild it the only good thing about this is I am learning fast how to take it apart and put it back together

I'd tell Horizon Hobby to send a call tag. The buyer shouldn't have to pay shipping for a faulty product. Also, RTR's don't need rebuilt before the maiden voyage, just checked over. No big deal.

YEPPERS....one would think that RTR ,,means ready to run....not, buy it,,,tear it down , rebuild it rite , then run it ,,,I didn't see that on the box....maybe in super dupper fine print...and were not blaming Mike,,,he designed it...he didn't mass produce it...the boat will work well , once you get the rite parts.......its only money,,,can't take it to the grave.

Unfortunately, sometimes that's the way it goes. Build your own boats, then you know how its built and won't have to deal with what's going on now.

Larry, you hit it dead on!!

IMO a RTR should not need to be rebuilt or anything! Lets face it RTR models are typically aimed toward the first time modeller so that being said they dont know the ins and outs and they should be able to just plug and play, what the heck is READY TO RUN if you need to rip it apart and inspect everything, it seems some of the experienced guys on here have forgotten what it was like when they got there first boat or cant seem to let it register in there head that alot of people buying a RTR boat are buying it specifically because its RTR and they dont have the knowledge to build!

As for HobbyServices i sent them an email with pictures and they wrote back this BS:

Thank you for your recent email.
    The boat comes with a 90 day warranty for manufacturer defects and workmanship from the factory, from the date of purchase. You can send it in to our warranty/repair department for inspection. If you would like to do this, you can send it to:

Hobby Services
    3002 North Apollo Drive Suite #1
    Champaign IL 61822

217-398-0007

with a brief letter describing the problem you have had and include your shipping information, email address and a copy of your receipt from purchase. Our staff will inspect your product and will notify you regarding their findings. If it is found to be a warranty defect, the product will be repaired or replaced at our option at no cost to you.

If it is not a failure covered under warranty, we have a $20 dollar minimum if it takes less than an hour to repair. If it is more than an hour we charge $40 an hour, plus the cost of shipping and a handling fee and cost of parts. If you choose not to have any work done on it we can return it to you, but there would be a $20 inspection fee plus shipping cost.

Yeah do you really think i just bought a boat waited a week or so for it to show up and want to spend more money and ship it back to them and have them beat around the bush for who knows how long, then eventually send me back a new hull which will more than likely take around a month total?? Yeah probably NOT!!!

I'm not one to complain often, and as i have already mentioned the things like the driveshaft issue dont bother me, but considering the ENTIRE reason i bought this stupid boat was specifically for the hull and paint scheme yeah i'm kinda pissed that it looks like pure crap.

Again, no worries Steven, you told me right off the bat you would give me a refund, but that wont be nessasary, it wouldn't be fair to me to blow 40+ on return shipping and its really not your fault, after all you didn't make this boat. I will continue buying most of my parts and any future bare hulls (delat force etc.) from you here at OSE and I hope you make up some more upgraded flexcables once you get back from the races cause i'm going to need one! Also i am installing a T180 and a Typhoon 1800kv outrunner and also have a 9xl to try in it, and i'm sure once i run it i will be happier, well i hope so!! lol

Yeah do you really think i just bought a boat waited a week or so for it to show up and want to spend more money and ship it back to them and have them beat around the bush for who knows how long, then eventually send me back a new hull which will more than likely take around a month total?? Yeah probably NOT!!!

I'm not one to complain often, and as i have already mentioned the things like the driveshaft issue dont bother me, but considering the ENTIRE reason i bought this stupid boat was specifically for the hull and paint scheme yeah i'm kinda pissed that it looks like pure crap.

Again, no worries Steven, you told me right off the bat you would give me a refund, but that wont be nessasary, it wouldn't be fair to me to blow 40+ on return shipping and its really not your fault, after all you didn't make this boat. I will continue buying most of my parts and any future bare hulls (delat force etc.) from you here at OSE and I hope you make up some more upgraded flexcables once you get back from the races cause i'm going to need one! Also i am installing a T180 and a Typhoon 1800kv outrunner and also have a 9xl to try in it, and i'm sure once i run it i will be happier, well i hope so!! lol
    dood you always complain lol, youve done nothing but complain about this boat. i hope you get it in the water soon and enjoy it

a freind and i ran boats today and he brought his new MC. paint looked a little rough but w/e. we put a m445 on there and the thing ripped. it handles very well and turns beautiful. the best part is you cant see the sand scratches when it's blazing by. just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by davey View Post
    .with a cheap motor ....
    Based on what???

once you get the bugs out of it youre gonna love the boat. just think, you could have bought a spartan.

Thanks Doby, i sent them an email with a few pics attached, maybe they will "make it right" but IMO telling me to send it back and replacing it is not "making it right". More of a headache than its worth, these things should have never made it out the door, where was the quality control???
    Contacting hobby services, paying to ship a hull back across the border and then paying duty again when a new replacement hull arrives would sure be no fun.

It's a shame about this boat. I had issues with my first SV, but since then, I have only ever bought Aquacraft boats because, let's face it, Grim knows how to design a great boat (the UL-1 is awesome).

I know AQ will make this right going forward. I just hope they do something about the finish on some of these hulls. For the guys that have them right now.

A plain white MC anyone? I guess you couldn't call it a Motley Crew then...it sure would be easy to dress up though.

By the way, where are all the Motley Crew's on Tower's "scratch and dent" section with "slightly damaged paint" or "some parts missing"???

I'll snap one of those up!

Quote Originally Posted by v-spec View Post
    That's exactly my point, many people are sheep with that said they will read a post like yours and think the boat is a lemon when in fact there is probably a good number really clean boats with nothing wrong just like mine.

My advice is next time you buy an RTR don't buy it online. Go to a hobby shop open the box like I did and make sure you are happy with what you are getting. I know better than to buy an RTR without seeing it before I buy and I'm willing to bet you do now too.
    This might be hard to do when your country doesnt even stock them.

Quote Originally Posted by bettaman View Post
    This might be hard to do when your country doesnt even stock them.
    I'd consider buying something that was available there then instead. Not trying to be rude but seriously some of you are crying about something that may or may not happen or be a problem when you don't even own the boat!!

I do own one and there is nothing in the slightest wrong with mine. AQ will fix the problems more likely than not on the next batch as I'm sure they are reading this. It's a great company and they designed another great boat, give em a break. I seen one more MC running at the lake last night and it seemed fine as well.

Say they sold a thousand boats, 10 are messed up in one way or another. Flex shaft, Paint etc. 5 of those people post here complaining the other 990 people are out having a blast with their new boat with little to no problems but get this, rumor spreads all over the internet that EVERY Motley Crew is pure crap and pretty soon everybody believes that.

I don't think that's fair. Ideally everybody would get a perfect boat and all would be happy but that rarely happens with the launch of a new product no matter what country it's built in...

I HIGHLY doubt that its only 10 in a 1000 that are bad, but i will agree with you and say that i too bet AQ does a better job on the next batch, and if they dont, well then that will speak a thousand words............................

I'm totally over the finish on my boat now, i really dont care anymore, everyone rants and raves about how well it handles so i just cant wait to finally take it out for a rip! Afterall how it handles/runs is the most important thing.

just picked up my motley crew today from a lhs, and all i can say is dam this boat is sweettt. finish is awesome, no paint blemishes at all. cant wait to start tweaking this boat to do 50 plus ! imo this boat is set up extremely well. (minus the shaft) from what Ive read.

I too am the owner of a MC with a crapy finish... Mine has loooonng scrapes or sanding strokes from 120 grit on top and bottom..... Oh well its a 50/50 job.....looks ok 50ft away or 50 mph
    Aeromarine Challenger,Warehouse hobbies Man O War, Traxxas Blast Rescue Rig, AQ UL-1 Yellow, BE REVO,T-Maxx, Vorza, Baja5B, and the latest addition Baja5T, Wife's gunna keel mee!

I received my MCrew yesterday, the finish and over all quality was poor. I am starting to accept it a little better today. Although it is a RTR, I am expecting to double check everything to make sure it is operating correctly and all is tight. These boats are not toys, and I do not think a new user should just open the box and throw it in the water; this is where things will go wrong and the user will be disappointed.

I am surprised at the poor quality control Aqua Craft has allowed to come out of the factory. I would have expected AQ would have been extra careful before this first release to make sure everything was a-ok. I will probably not buy another AQ product in the future.
    Last edited by Barbossa; 06-07-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Typo

Wow I guess i got lucky!!! I just recieved my MC last week and must say the boat looked great. The finish was smooth and very nice, no sandpaper like ive been reading about. The motor and shaft alignment was pretty darn close, just a small tweek of the motor mount and all was good. I did replace the shaft with Hughey, but all in all I am very happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12