Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just recieved my new Motley Crew today

Default Just recieved my new Motley Crew today

Ok so first off i want to say thank you to Steven here at ose for once again great service and fast shipping, and a extra special thanks for helping me out with a new hatch for my df35"!!

Now for the Motley Crew boat after unpackaging it i have no choice but to voice my opinion. My first impressions immediatly were that the finish on this boat is pure crap, the silver basecoat looks like it was sprayed over 180 grit sanding, the fiberglass/putty work looks like it was done by a 12 year old chinese kid, seriously the tips of the sponsons are so ugly my wife picked it apart before i could even mention it! Obviously there was a few things to be concerned about that i already read about previous to buying it, like the flexcable and the fact that the stuffing tube alignment to motor is horrible, of course the motor mount is lose as a goose as well, but my biggest dissapointment is the finish, i dont know if i got a dud or what and for Steven please dont take this the wrong way i am in no way pointing the finger at you and i know your not the maker of this boat, but just a dealer and your service my friend is grade AAA, but i have to mention this finish issue to any potential buyers, considering this is an "Aquacraft" i expected at the very least the finish work would be great, this is absolutely the worst finish i have ever seen in a boat i have purchased.

I was planning to immediately remove the motor and esc and replace with a faster reliable 5s setup, but part of me wants to at least give this a run so hopefully i can be impressed by the performance??

Im sorry to hear of the misfortunes with the new cat. Its hard to believe the problems with this boat with me having my old UL-1 that was flawless as far as a RTR boat goes. Maybe they went with an even cheaper manufacturer in China land?

yeah i'm not sure, but theres nobody that could sit in front of me and this boat and honestly say the finish is acceptable, its absolutely horrible, heck the red evo,apparition and genesis are waaayyyyyyyyy nicer finished. I will say from 20 ft back it looks sweeeet!! LOL heck you know what i think i'll just run this thing as is, do a prop change and get the most i possibly can out of the stock system, because if i do as i was planning and rig this thing up on 5s and i crash at 55-60mph this thing is gonna blow to pieces!! its sooo flimsy too.

Sorry to hear this. I only have my sample to go by, it's has a couple of blems but not anything that would make me that upset. Can you post some pictures when you get a chance.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I had 2 UL-1's and the gel coat left a lot to be desired on both of the boats.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

someone had pics on here for there mc finish...seemed all scratched before painting
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Mines freaking perfect and paint is FLAWLESS I am beyond impressed. I have not run it yet but I've swapped the motor mount around and aligned it perfect which took about 10 minutes time without bending the stuffing tube and i swapped the flex cable out, installed 5.5mm bullets and should be on the water this Tuesday.

So far I couldn't be happier and I know it'll be plenty fast with the right prop as I've run in the mid 50's with this motor in my FE30 and the motor didn't break a sweat. I'm not an RTR guy but I'm in love with the new AQ Cat!!

i was one of the first if not the first person to complain about the workmanship on my motley crew. when i called the place i bought the boat from they wanted to see it. when they did they couldnt believe the terrible finish it had. they wanted the boat so they could send it back and as nice as they were they gave me another mc. the finish on the one i now have is no where near perfect but a lot better than the original. i was going to put a ul1 motor in it but like you, ive decided to run it as is and when the new ones come out in july if they are any better than the one i have im going to send it back. the boat does run surprisingly well, handles like its on rails, and with a minor prop change it ran 47 mph. the concept of the boat is very well done and it runs a lot better than i expected. im sure theyll get it rightn the second time around.

Seems Canadians are getting boats with crappy finish, no?

Ok heres some pics, it is really hard to capture the scratch effect under the paint, but trust me when i tell you the entire boat the paint was sprayed over what in my "professional" opinion is between 180-240 grit, i say professional opinion since i am an automotive painter by trade. There are also multiple areas where it appears they tried to fill a pinhole or a blemish with a spec of putty and of course did a horrible job of. Basically what it boils down to is the "prep" work done before paint is just absolutely horrible.

As for the design and layout i think the thought was very cool, just in my boats case very poorly executed. The only thing i would have like to see other than the obvious fact of better prep work would be a way to secure the hatch other than just tape, because theres not really even room to add hatch locks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well i guess i am going to upgrade the motor/esc anyways, LOL

6sHyper, wow, the picture works for me, very bad finish. It seems the quality control people are out to lunch and a few of them are comming through in very poor shape.

have a look at my Tread,,,Dissapointed with motley crew..... I have a few pics of the scratches and the hurting finish,,,a 12 year old,,,no maybe a 5 years old did it...of all the boats I have ever bought ,,this one by far has been most agravating ...

I just received my motley yesterday from OSE. I was very anxious and nervous after reading all the posts about the finish of this boat. I've waited a long time for it, and saved my pennies. For those of you who ever collected baseball or football cards- I felt like I was opening a 20 dollar pack of cards hoping to get that nice valuable player but at the same time not get the whammy of a bunch of worthless "duds" and a wasted 20 dollar bill. My heart pounded as i opened my box from OSE. I took a deep breath as I pulled it from the bag and..... PHEW! A perfect finish. SCORE! Afterwards, I realized the most important thing about this. If you're buying a high quality product from a reputable company and shelling out your hard earned cash. It shouldn't be a crapshoot, or a cause of anxiety. The company is fantastic, with fantastic customer support. I have 2 UL-1's and are my favorite boats. I know they will right this, it's just a bummer it's happening. It's almost as if they gave one guy the wrong sandpaper and he "went to town" on the hulls.

Great so there must have been 2 left at ose and you got the good one and i got the junk one, geezzzzz just my luck, LOL.

Steven any chance AC can give you a kickback and then you can give me a sweet deal on a new esc and motor for mine?? hehe, thinking seaking 180, Feigao 9xl.

I work in a local hobby shop and received some MC boats, and when checking the ones we got they all had some major flaws on the hulls, the finish on the Super V's are much better than on the MC boats, and we already had a prop shaft let go on the first run 20 feet from shore, poor solder job on the flex shafts. I hope they correct these problems..
    There is no replacement for displacement, I guess I just have to Buzz it higher!

maybe i missed it but i dont see aq saying sorry we screewd up and will send u out new fixed shafts like proboat did with the mg when it first came out.....we all thought that was the end of the world lol.....have to admit horizon got right on it as soon as darin told em about it...maybe they will maybe they wont i guess,,,,seeems like a good boat if they can get that prob fixed for sure......
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Interesting! Thinking the new PB Mystic might be that way to go after reading this.
    Always though the paint scheme was geared towards a 5 year old, now it sounds like a good portion of them are coming with badly done ugly paint.
    The mystic comes white with minimal stickers.
    BTW I also hate the standard Geico scheme.
    I wish manufacturers would just give you a plain coloured hull with the sticker pack in the box, you want the same ugly crap as everybody else stick them on.
    Don't want a lizard boat! (refuse to advertise for a company I will never use, sponsor me if you want me to advertise for you!)
    Don't want a teenage mutant ninja turtle boat ( stupid headband around the cockpit!)
    Just sell the plain coloured boat!.
    The SV was brilliant in this regard, came in a range of colours with stickers that peel right off so you can customize.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    Interesting! Thinking the new PB Mystic might be that way to go after reading this.
    Always though the paint scheme was geared towards a 5 year old, now it sounds like a good portion of them are coming with badly done ugly paint.
    The mystic comes white with minimal stickers.
    BTW I also hate the standard Geico scheme.
    I wish manufacturers would just give you a plain coloured hull with the sticker pack in the box, you want the same ugly crap as everybody else stick them on.
    Don't want a lizard boat! (refuse to advertise for a company I will never use, sponsor me if you want me to advertise for you!)
    Don't want a teenage mutant ninja turtle boat ( stupid headband around the cockpit!)
    Just sell the plain coloured boat!.
    The SV was brilliant in this regard, came in a range of colours with stickers that peel right off so you can customize.
    Sounds like you need to stick to building your own boats, My Motley Crew looks great. I'm definitely not 5 years old and I love the paint scheme!

Very shocking on the hit or miss finish on these boats. My boat had 1 major imperfection were they taped the hatch before the clear coat fully cured. Other then that, my boat looks nothing like the ones being posted. Amazing, sorry to hear about the misfortunes guys. I will say the finish is not along the lines of the Ul1 & the SV27 I have owned. Not sure if they have a different manufacture or what, but there are some differences vs other AQ products. On a positive note the boat handles really REALLY well and my boat does look really good. All in all I am a happy customer...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    maybe i missed it but i dont see aq saying sorry we screewd up and will send u out new fixed shafts like proboat did with the mg when it first came out.....we all thought that was the end of the world lol.....have to admit horizon got right on it as soon as darin told em about it...maybe they will maybe they wont i guess,,,,seeems like a good boat if they can get that prob fixed for sure......
    Yeah, the "grimracer" guy only seems to show up to reply to the positive things, but doesn't have much to say about the negative things. I tell you what if i bought this boat from the local hobby shop it would have gone back as soon as i opened the box!! But since it came from OSE in the US and i'm up in BC, Canada it kills me to have to pay return shipping and all that.

I'm typically not a very picky customer but the finish on this hull is laughable, its ridiculously bad and i feel that i should be compensated in some sort of way, and the only fair compensation IMO would be a partial refund or something on those lines.

Have you contacted Hobby Services??

No Doby i have not, how can i go about that??

http://www.hobbyservices.com/contact.html

I'd be surprised if they didn't make it right.

Thanks Doby, i sent them an email with a few pics attached, maybe they will "make it right" but IMO telling me to send it back and replacing it is not "making it right". More of a headache than its worth, these things should have never made it out the door, where was the quality control???

good luck...I sent pics too...and yet nothing is done,,,they sent me another shaft and that broke too....the bushings are the wrong size and it binding as well as poor metal that won't solder.....of all 8 boats of mine ,,,I;ve never been so ripped off....350 bucks and 20 feet....................maybe they should put that on the box

Quote Originally Posted by 6sHyper View Post
    Yeah, the "grimracer" guy only seems to show up to reply to the positive things, but doesn't have much to say about the negative things. I tell you what if i bought this boat from the local hobby shop it would have gone back as soon as i opened the box!! But since it came from OSE in the US and i'm up in BC, Canada it kills me to have to pay return shipping and all that.

I'm typically not a very picky customer but the finish on this hull is laughable, its ridiculously bad and i feel that i should be compensated in some sort of way, and the only fair compensation IMO would be a partial refund or something on those lines.
    Listen, If Grim had the time to check everyone of the boats sold he would!!!! He is one of the nicest boaters/people you will ever meet. He isn't a one man show. I think it's a little unfair to put that onto one person!

As Doby mentioned, you should contact hobby services if you have an issue. They are there to help and will do there best.

http://www.hobbyservices.com/contact.html

Singleing someone out and trying to drag someone's name thru the mud isn't the right way to handle the situation.

Later,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by davey View Post
    good luck...I sent pics too...and yet nothing is done,,,they sent me another shaft and that broke too....the bushings are the wrong size and it binding as well as poor metal that won't solder.....of all 8 boats of mine ,,,I;ve never been so ripped off....350 bucks and 20 feet....................maybe they should put that on the box
    As it has been mentioned in your previous post about the flex shaft breaking, it still sounds like you may have an issue with something binding in the dive line. you've had several questions/concerns with your strut bushing. Now, I am not suggesting there isn't an issue with the flex shafts. However, I feel there are several things we can do as boaters to make sure the driveline is free before we run a new boat.

I will try and post my pictures and suggestions soon for going over a new boat before running for the first time.

Later
    Mike

Yes Mike, you are right I should not have called "grimracer" out like that, and for that i do apologize.

However someONE needs to step up to the plate and remedy this situation, and in reality this situation should never have happened, and i'm not talking about driveshafts, i could care less about that and i expect that sort of stuff from a RTR, heck i had planned to upgrade my flex, motor and esc before I even recieved mine, but the finish work on the hull is completely unacceptable and should have never been sold, now WHO is at fault for that??

V-Spec, i usually do build my own but if a number of people are running the same hull and power system in your club it makes a fun racing class. Thats the reason I bought an SV, I would prefer we were running DF hulls but this is our RTR class.
    I've always had a thing against being one of the sheep, I like everything to be uniquely mine, be it truck, guitar or RC boat. It's easy to settle for being one of the masses, way harder in our society to be an individual.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast