Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 102 mph mono subs and smokes!

I have to agree with you on everything Tyler......................

- extremely impressive run and yes it did look like a 100+
    - 2000 Euros is probably a very good ball park figure
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

The first vid was neet, Man I hate to see smoke.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Yes it was a GPS speed, but none the less very impressive.

No doubt.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher 67 View Post
    You guys are correct on there being two esc's ( not a great picture I know ) . very interesting setup to say the least . A build thread would certainly be some interesting reading . You have to give the Germans credit for pushing the limits of what is possible in electric motor and ESC design .

Hey Gerwin where are you , some more info please
    I am VERY interested! It either has two motors on one shaft or two esc's to one motor and both of those cases would be awesome to see how the did it.
    Fleet: 55" Quad inline T600 Cigarette boat, Twin Mean Machine, Twin T600 47" mystery mono, 4082 Surge Crusher, 1717 8s Genesis, 4074 Villain, "mini mono", 52" Bonzi, Prather Funcruiser, 2 DPI 3.5cc tunnels, 5' Styrofoam recover barge

Hello Guys,

the Mono already made a single pass with 106mph measured official pass on Swiss SAW last year, so it is capable of that speeds without doubts!

He runs 2x Schulze 40.160 on a LMT 3080 engine.

Best regards,
    Manuel

Thank you Manuel

Is there any chance of getting more info on how or what it take to set up a dual 40/160 ESC setup , also I would love to see a nice inside picture ...BEFORE...the accident if thats at all possible .

Thanks for any help.........................
    Last edited by Punisher 67; 06-01-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelW View Post
    Hello Guys,

the Mono already made a single pass with 106mph measured official pass on Swiss SAW last year, so it is capable of that speeds without doubts!

He runs 2x Schulze 40.160 on a LMT 3080 engine.

Best regards,
    Manuel
    So they are ganging up the controllers to carry the amp/watts load?
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Thanks Manuel, very nice.
    What voltage??
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thank you Manuel

Is there any chance of getting more info on how or what it take to set up a dual 40/160 ESC setup , also I would love to see a nice inside picture ...BEFORE...the accident if thats at all possible .

Thanks for any help.........................
    Fleet: 55" Quad inline T600 Cigarette boat, Twin Mean Machine, Twin T600 47" mystery mono, 4082 Surge Crusher, 1717 8s Genesis, 4074 Villain, "mini mono", 52" Bonzi, Prather Funcruiser, 2 DPI 3.5cc tunnels, 5' Styrofoam recover barge

Sweet! Yeah, an interior pic would be great!

To run 2 controllers on one motor you have to take the 3 wires coming out the back of the motor and split them in 2 equal parts making 6. Then you can add your 2 controllers. There's also a certain way that you have to start the motor up as well. It's probably easier to do this when you first wind the stator up. Adding 4 controllers to one motor doing the same method is also possible.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    To run 2 controllers on one motor you have to take the 3 wires coming out the back of the motor and split them in 2 equal parts making 6. Then you can add your 2 controllers. There's also a certain way that you have to start the motor up as well. It's probably easier to do this when you first wind the stator up. Adding 4 controllers to one motor doing the same method is also possible.

Mark
    So it works the best if you split the windings evenly? That makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post

Mark
    Thanks Mark You are quite the tec-head
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Thanks Mark You are quite the tec-head
    Yes, please tell us more.

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

what would be the reasoning for using 2 esc's here?...its an interesting idea for sure but i cannot think of the benefits...are they somehow splitting the load between the 2 of them and able to run extreme voltages/and have plenty of room for high current and big props?

subscribing too
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

They are for sure splitting the load between the two ESC's , A LMT 3080/5 can easily draw into the 400+ amp range under hard load................

Thanks Mark , maybe I don't have to buy a Schulze 40/303 for my 3080 Sniper . I just might go that direction now

Thanks Mark , maybe I don't have to buy a Schulze 40/303 for my 3080 Sniper . I just might go that direction now
    Just so you are aware there are a couple down sides to doing 2 speedos on one motor. The biggest is if the load is that great where you need to divide the amperage and your close to the edge, one speedo can thermal and leave 100% loading on the one stronger or more eff speedo. No two speedos are perfect matches. Each one is built ever so slightly different compared to the other. Each on a given load will have some inefficiencies when compared against each other. How much? Thats the 64 dollar question. But the fact is they will be slightly off. Thats production manufacturing. Might be .001%, might be 1%.

This has been attained several times before over the years. These guys didnt originate this idea. But they are making it work. And it can work. But its subject to the dynamics of each system and the more complex it becomes, the more subject to catastrophic failures. No pooping on this achievement. Just stating that with complexity comes issues.

John
    Change is the one Constant

And then there is timing.
    I think the issues were similar when those guys tried coupling two X two motors together in a cat with 4 ESCs. Everything has to be perfect, the odds are stacked against you.
    It does make for some spectacular failures though.
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I really do appreciate you guys watching my back on this quest for knowledge John and Doug . The down sides are well noted .

I may go this route or seeing new insite just splurge and buy the 40/303 as originally planned . I am in no way shooting for any records I just love terrorizing the local nitro club .........
    Last edited by Punisher 67; 06-02-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Peter,

You need to get the 40.303wk once you are on the limit of your 40.160 will deliver. Plus I know a great machinist who makes a 3080/40.303 mount

I am sure the reasoning behind the twin 40.160 is to handle the current. I will also testify that a 3080/5 will pull more than 425A under load. They are monsters!

A single 40.300 or similar is a much better approach than twin 40.160's for the reasons mentioned above.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked1 View Post
    Here are two more vids of the same run.
    I think just jumps and it doesn't sub, you can see the hull before it hits the water. That thing is fast!!
    The second one shows some of the aftermath!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV-QT...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEcLU...watch_response

There are two speed controllers and one outdrive!
    They copied me!
    Video is complete with a butt-crack toward the end! Nice...
    Support US hobby suppliers

Hello,

well as everybody is curious, as far as I know this is not a stock LMT 3080 engine so wouldn't recommend to try this at home, especially using two 40.160 Schulze of the old series (better idea: sell these to me!!)

I'm sorry but thats all what I'd like to say about the "power plant" in this mono here officially on the forum.

BTW guys: In a HPR 135 (twin setup) an LMT 3040/09 on 8S produces peak amps of measured 415A. I'd assume an LMT 3080/5 with the right number of cells is more like 1000A (short circuit) than the guessed 400A.

Best regards,
    Manuel

I'm not sure exactly what the deal was but I saw a 5 turn destroy a 40.300 in Valdosta a few years ago. T Hydro if memory serves.

Thanks Manuel

Doug
    "(better idea: sell these to me!!)" LOL Mine are going to be buried with me .
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    I enjoyed watching both. I know about the inaccuracies with GPS speed racing, but its fits the sport boaters just fine. I wouldn't mind participating in a sanctioned SAW event for the fun of it and to compare the differences in speed between GPS and radar gun or whatever they use. I apologize to Chris and the thread as a whole for snapping back.
    Dont apologize for doing what you love to do Larry. If a GPS is all you have like me and alot of other people and your having fun, who cares. All these boats are cool and its the chase for speed that is fun and keeps this hobby going. Its all good!!!!
    Last edited by Gary; 06-07-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Dont apologize for doing what you love to do Larry. If a GPS is all you have like me and alot of other people and your having fun, who cares. All these boats are cool and its the chase for speed thats is fun and keeps this hobby going. Its all good!!!!

Default Photos

Hi everybody
    just of couple of photos taken at Swiss SAW on Sept. 2010.
    Cheers
    Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow....... Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 06-07-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

WOW is right!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
    A few years ago I beleive Lehner made some custom motors for himself to run at the German SAW that were like two motors in one and had six leads that came out and ran two ESC's. This may be something like that.

Chris
    That is exactly what I have listened at Swiss SAW last year.

About speed, this is the link with the classification of SWISS SAW 2010
    Ralph Moser - the owner of the "burned" mono is n° 5;

http://www.git-ticino.ch/sawghirla/ghirla2010.html It's in Italian but Km/h is universal.

The speeds listed are REAL !! These are measured by a team of offical timekeepers using speed traps

But in my opinion the very very impressive boats are n° 3 (Hydro 2 cells) with 167 km/h and n° 10 (Hydro 1 cell) with 130 km/h of top speed
    Last edited by KTM_EXC; 06-07-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Last but not least the most beautiful and original boat was in my opinion this "GLIDER"

BTW: it was n° 4 in the classification (159 km/h)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast