Thread: battery question

Default battery question

i am looking for a battery to power my charger at the pond, but i'm on a bit of a budget. I am wondering if a "lawn and garden" lead acid battery, that has 140amps cold crank power, would be strong enough to last an afternoon at the pond.

I know cheap is generally not better, but it is like $25 at Wal-mart, and the price is right if I can actually use it to power my charger.

Any advice?

I think capacity would be more important than cold crank amp rating. Not sure what the ah rating of that one would be. I use a 75ah deep cycle marine battery I picked up at walmart for $40. I use it to power two triton chargers and charge 12- 12 cell packs (nimh) in a day. Plenty of capacity to spare. Hope this info helps.

You can also check a junk yard.

I got a battery from a boat that someone discarded. lots of times the boat guys get rid of them every couple of years, instead of waiting for them to fail.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I use a jumper/starter pack. They are nice because you have outlets or cables and it has a built in charger. I find that on my small shumacher one that I can charge at decent 5-6 amps for the first time or so then you have to bring it down to around 3 to charge more....the reason I say get a decent one. For about 60-80 you can find nice ones...even at Walley World.

Or, if you want to see the Mac-Daddy of marine deep cycles, take a look at this:

http://www.batterystore.com/Odyssey/PC2250.htm

126 amp-hours!! But you need a small wagon to carry it since it weighs 86 pounds!!!
    Don't get me started

I used to have an aircraft stand/powerst sation. I converted it for cars. I paralleled 2 cheap leadacid 12v batterirs from tower. they lasted all day in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    Or, if you want to see the Mac-Daddy of marine deep cycles, take a look at this:

http://www.batterystore.com/Odyssey/PC2250.htm

126 amp-hours!! But you need a small wagon to carry it since it weighs 86 pounds!!!
    My dad uses either 4 or 6 similar batteries in his motor home. I almost broke my back helping him getting them in.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

2- 6v golf cart batts will last you all weekend. You wire them in series. This is what they use in many motorhomes for the big ones.