Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Futaba 2.4 had a bit of an issue!!!

darin your paranoia about everyone is out to get sponsored drivers is the only thing that is getting out of hand , i stand by my statemeni that if u are sponsored by one product u sure arent going to say the other guys stuff is better! get over it dude, think about it. i am sure your next post to me will be condasending like always......
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Glad I don't sell radios anymore! We tested the chinese radios that some are now raving about and they were complete duds. Back and forth to the factory several times for replacement receivers, transmitters, modules, you name it and they never worked. We passed on the radios to say the least. Well now they appear to have worked the bugs out but our cost is the SAME, not including shipping, as HK sells them for. Why bother.

I personally use Tactic and airtronics. I like the tactic because it doesn't require an external antenna on the boat. I've had great luck with these.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Ron... that really is a silly thing to say. Very few people have as much experience with the product as those that have been using it since before most of you could.

This bias towards "sponsored drivers" is really getting out of hand.

If you read my deal with Horizon, you'll find that the main point is to have racers in different areas of the country who can be there to help, provide advice, and put the products on display so people will know they are out there.

All you have EVER seen, or will see me do is provide introductary information, and provide follow-up help as much as possible. Hell, I've even gone so far as to drive across town and trade my PERSONAL TX to a racer who had broken his. THAT is why we are supported by these manufacturers, or at least that's what is expected of me from Team Horizon and Spektrum. It's a good thing for the hobby, if it's not abused.
    I've got to vouch for Darin here. I was having a servo issue and he was involved personally in getting it resolved.
    That certainly beat the "throw a towel over it" even though it was in the shade crap I got from the other brand. No need in going into it guys, I'm no longer listening.
    I still use both because I have them but if I had to choose I'd go with the service as always.
    Got carbon fiber?? Better ask some questions................
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

"you'll find that the main point is to have racers in different areas of the country who can be there to help, provide advice, and put the products on display so people will know they are out there."

Thanks Darin for saying that as that is what "team guys" are supposed to do. It's the main focal point for Futaba team as well and I'm glad to say I was able to do the same for others from loaning a part to helping program a radio. It doesn't matter if it's JR, Futaba or Spektrum, when the smoke clears and dust settles they're still toys.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    Grim just wondering is there any relationship between AQ and Futaba or are they totally separate companies?. You are definitely sponsored by Futaba Correct?
    Jim,

There is.

Futaba is imported by Hobbico and AquaCraft is owned by Hobbico. To learn more about Hobbico you can go here. Just so you know.. some of the companies Hobbico created (like AquaCraft) to fill the need in the market.. I think AquaCraft was formed in or around 2001 or so.
    http://www.hobbico.com/

To learn more about the companies we either are exclusive importers for or own.. go here.. Bestrc gives you a good indication of the stuff we are personally responsible for.
    http://www.bestrc.com/

Then as you know there is our retail outlet.. Tower Hobbies.
    http://www.towerhobbies.com/

And the last part of your question.. yes.. I am a Sponsored Futaba Driver, proudly!. Truth is I drive for OS as well.. (Again a company or brand if you will that we import).. and I drive for our new AquaCraft Power Team. (A team I helped develop and has been a lot of fun to do).. it includes some of the nicest dudes in RC boating.

Robert Holland
    Brian Buaas
    Michael Ball
    Mikey Schindler
    Steven Enneper
    Dougge Twaits

I would also like to say.. If you think its easy getting on team Futaba marine just ask Don.. or Jerry or Ron or whomever. ALSO: IF” you like to write up race reports Team Futaba might be for you.. CUZ I LIKE TO WORK YA.. Being a member of team Futaba means you get nothing (so to speak) for free! If you don’t provide input back from your events your not doing your part of the deal.. its really not all fun and games.

Most have NO IDEA what its takes to be a member of a RC team.

In anycase… Thanks for asking Jim

Grim

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    darin your paranoia about everyone is out to get sponsored drivers is the only thing that is getting out of hand , .... get over it dude, think about it. i am sure your next post to me will be condasending like always......
    Another "winning" post as always, Ron. You must be a riot over a cup of coffee... Would be great if you'd shy away from putting your own twist on everyone's words, however, and trying to assign meanings and attitudes to them that simply aren't there. You really aren't that good at it.

And, in case you aren't clear on it's meaning... in order to "condescend", one must feel they are somehow more elevated than those they are "consescending" to... If you think that's me, and you apparently do, then you can't possibly know me, which you obviously don't. How about sticking to the topics from now on, and keeping your personal BS with me out of it.

As for your assumption:

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    i stand by my statemeni that if u are sponsored by one product u sure arent going to say the other guys stuff is better!
    In case you haven't noticed (hint: you haven't), I have NEVER said that ANY of these products is better than the other. I don't feel it's my place, not having used all of them. I have, and will continue to, discuss the strengths and highlight the features of those products I know of, or have personal experience with (hell, I've even talked about some of the weaknesses of them, and tried to show how to correct them, i.e. MG sponsons and rudder, Stiletto radio box, cable/wire seals, etc.), but you will NOT find me saying that one is better than the other. That's for you guys, and hopefully the race results, to decide. The one caviat to this would be in a case where I've actually been whitness, or have data in my hands, that shows a clear difference, but again, in that case, the results would speak for themselves.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Wow, this thread went crazy. I saw it coming though. I forget who said it, I think it was on pg 2 somewhere, no matter what you use, at some point, your going to experience an issue. It may be the rx or tx or it may be human error. It happens. Nothing, especially electronics near water, is perfect.

I had met a guy a few years back that was a team guy and he also said that it was a lot of work and did not get a lot out of it as some expect. It wasnt the highlife, free gear etc, it was a lot of work, a lot of testing products, etc etc. Yes some of us have multiple years of experience w/ radios, ie, Ive been running Futaba for... gosh, a long time... 20 yrs or something, BUT, I do not know all thier radios, I do not know what the latest and greatest is, Ive owned a handful of thier radios over those years from AM, to FM, to 2.4. I personally feel it IS a good idea to have the "team" people chime in, yes, they are going to be 100% for thier product at all times, BUT, they are also going to help, as Don has, to make an honest effort to resolve the issue, provide info as to what could have happen and what the true failure was etc etc. Ive had radio failures in gas boats, none of which ended in any major losses, some bumping and bruising and thats about it. ALL of those issues involved corrosion or connections just wearing out. A friend of mine has and has had a Hi-tec radio in his gasser for over 10 years. First time out he lost signal and his boat did circles for about 15 minutes before it finally hit a dock piling, straightened out and ran up on the shoreline just down from where we were. Radio a POS, no, he installed the rx upsidedown on the box lid thinking it would help keep moisture out, instead, it vibrated the crystal out. Just saying this because lets face it, most of the time, things go wrong because of "us" not because product A, B or C is a garbage product. Ive been fortunate enough to go thru a lot of the changes w/ controllers and the way AM was at times, you might as well start a gasser, manually pull and jam the throttle wide open, disconnect the steering servo and let it go because it often felt like thats about all the control you have. I give my thanks to ALL manufactureres for what theyve done for the hobby. Its come a long way in what seems like a short time. Remember when we used to have to turn in our radios as we entered the races, and then put a paper clip on our antennas w/ our frequancy number? And you couldnt test anything because your radio was being held hostage?????

The whole point of this thread from Mr V. was to show that people can have an issue running Futaba as well and its not "just a Spektrum thing." Be it Futaba equipment issues or poor installation, either way the guy lost his boat and that sux. I hope he gets it resolved as to what happen and if it was human error, is sure to keep it from happening again.
    Now I gotta go get some work done so I can go use my Futairtactrum radio later this afternoon.

I hear Airtronix has a new radio with telemetry (motor temp, rpm's, receiver voltage). Does Spektrum or Futaba offer telemetry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crY7y0iNkvY

Spec does and Futaba does not..

Dude.. is that boat in your avatar on a stove... Thats HOT!.. Sorry a realy bad joke gone very wrong!

Grim

Time to lay this one to bed
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123