Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Futaba 2.4 had a bit of an issue!!!

OK, I'm going to climb into the barrel and expect to be used for target practice here, but I now use the FlySky GT3B 2.4 on all my boats. $ 35 for Tx/Rx & $4.70 for Rx's.
    No problems to date. And my boats are pricey.

Had a Fasst antenna break inside of the mast & had a runaway into the bank. My fault I admit.

Flame suit on. I'm ready to learn.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Did anyone notice that there was nothing to protect the receiver from getting B slapped all over the radio box? I have killed a Fut 2.4 receiver or 2 in my gas boats by not protecting it from jolts. Putting foam around and under the receiver has solved this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    OK, I'm going to climb into the barrel and expect to be used for target practice here, but I now use the FlySky GT3B 2.4 on all my boats. $ 35 for Tx/Rx & $4.70 for Rx's.
    No problems to date. And my boats are pricey.

Had a Fasst antenna break inside of the mast & had a runaway into the bank. My fault I admit.

Flame suit on. I'm ready to learn.
    How many AA batteries does that radio require? My Tactic only requires four.

Flame suit on.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    How many AA batteries does that radio require? My Tactic only requires four.

Flame suit on.

It takes 8 AA's. Because the screen autodims after about ten seconds it's hard to see if it's on or off. I've eaten three sets of AA's by not noticing that it was still on until I did the following :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUfxgIZxsA

I also installed a 2200 mAh lipo for power

I'm waiting to see if the radio is "too good to be true" at that price. So far, so good !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Did anyone notice that there was nothing to protect the receiver from getting B slapped all over the radio box? I have killed a Fut 2.4 receiver or 2 in my gas boats by not protecting it from jolts. Putting foam around and under the receiver has solved this problem.

Bingo. My buddy told him to do that a week before this happened.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    .. maybe it was the "Crash Investigation Team"
    I guess I missed this earlier, it was meant as a joke right?
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Bingo. My buddy told him to do that a week before this happened.
    Geeeez!!! I just thought it was on velcro or something. No RX is gonna like bouncing around getting the snot beat out of it no matter who makes it.
    Futaba Team Driver

Don,

As you might or might not know I also fly planes and helis.. (helis mostly).. I know lots of things that go on.

Not sure the investigative team was a "Secret team" but at the end of the day..

When you drive or fly Futaba.. no investigative team is needed!.. and to me THAT IS” just one of MANY reason why I use Futaba!

Just so you know.. back in the day I was a sponsored Airtronics driver and this was back in the day of the introduction of Specs 2.4.. needless to say I stuck to Airtronics.. Then came change (I was still flying Futaba).. I was able to come back to my trusty Futaba for surface and have no intentions of looking else ware.

But the reality of it is I really want SAFE RC usage, be it there’s or ours.. its THEN that you have to ask your selves.. what’s it take to minimize the chances of a bad situation..

To me that’s Futaba!

Grim

Here is Futaba's latest offering.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVSY&P=7

I've never laughed so hard (at an RC Boat thread) as I did when I read this "flame suite on" lingo. "Flame suites" here in Denver usually refer to men wearing a$$less leather chaps sporting long swirly mustaches and biker vests that are cut about 5 inches too short. They usually have a pension for other men wearing their "flame suites." sorry to deviate but I really found this to be quite hilarious =)

On a more serious note, I have no complaints with my Futaba RX...

Tactic, Tactic here I come.....

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

I don't care what radio you use. If you don't do a proper installation (which includes protecting components from excessive vibration), you're going to have problems.

I can say that I had a runaway last season due to a bad switch. Gas outrigger ended up in a tree. Luckily that race site is in an old gravel quary, no chance of escape. Changed all the gas boats over to the big Futaba heavy duty switches, problem solved.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    Don,

As you might or might not know I also fly planes and helis.. (helis mostly).. I know lots of things that go on.

Not sure the investigative team was a "Secret team" but at the end of the day..

When you drive or fly Futaba.. no investigative team is needed!.. and to me THAT IS” just one of MANY reason why I use Futaba!

Just so you know.. back in the day I was a sponsored Airtronics driver and this was back in the day of the introduction of Specs 2.4.. needless to say I stuck to Airtronics.. Then came change (I was still flying Futaba).. I was able to come back to my trusty Futaba for surface and have no intentions of looking else ware.

But the reality of it is I really want SAFE RC usage, be it there’s or ours.. its THEN that you have to ask your selves.. what’s it take to minimize the chances of a bad situation..

To me that’s Futaba!

Grim
    Grim you know I love ya bud, BUT posts like THAT is the exact reason I posted the failure.
    Steven Vaccaro

Here's a review of the Hobby King and Tactic radio.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poByXMlqX1s

Grim you know I love ya bud, BUT posts like THAT is the exact reason I posted the failure.
    And based on the pics and the fact you even warned the guy about the loose RX a week earlier smart money says it was the fault of the boater and NOT the radio.

.......and to add to that I'd feel the same regardless of what brand of radio was in it.
    Futaba Team Driver

Steven... not slamming my friend.... just taking what I know and have experienced and applying it to the conversation.

And

Im DIE HARD CHEVY TO THE END!.. OK AMC too!..

I might be wrong.but . Competition is GOOD and healthy for our hobby and our spirit.

And I have LOST WAY MORE races then i have ever won and ever WILL WIN.. .. just part of the drive for the passion..

Take care brother Steve and please.. dont take the radio stuff to much to heart.. we play.. but we play HARD!

Grim

Grim just wondering is there any relationship between AQ and Futaba or are they totally separate companies?. You are definitely sponsored by Futaba Correct?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Just say no Doug!!

Thanks.....................................

Your welcome guys! lol
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

to me if u work for spectrum or horrizon or futaba or are sponsored by either your opinion doesent count. money talks.....so it boils down to what do u like? i am sure either are fine...i just like spectrum ...had to get that in there lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    to me if u work for spectrum or horrizon or futaba or are sponsored by either your opinion doesent count. money talks.....so it boils down to what do u like? i am sure either are fine...i just like spectrum ...had to get that in there lol
    Really?

So I guess that means Steve's comments about anything he sells in the OSE store don't count either.

I just joined the Futaba Marine Team this year but I'm sure that running Futaba radios for like 15 years had absolutely nothing to do with it......

Money? What money??
    Futaba Team Driver

Don probably not as Steve sells both brands
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

ya so there lol

Sure he should have used some foam, but in the end We are guessing at reasons for failure. The switch and battery was fine, the radio was working when they picked up the boat.

In the end we are all biased for some reason. Sure I'm biased towards Spektrum. I tend to push what I use personally. Between my boys and I, we have well over 30 rx's and 4 rx's. All have served me well.
    Steven Vaccaro

Sure he should have used some foam, but in the end We are guessing at reasons for failure. The switch and battery was fine, the radio was working when they picked up the boat.

In the end we are all biased for some reason. Sure I'm biased towards Spektrum. I tend to push what I use personally. Between my boys and I, we have well over 30 rx's and 4 rx's. All have served me well.
    Yup just like you guessed when you gave this thread it's title. I'll still put my money on either the switch or the RX getting beat around like a ping pong ball, to leave one free like that is just plain stupid. And I'll tell you know most times over the years when I've seen a switch turn out to be the source for mystery radio issues it still "worked fine" when the problems first showed up. And how do you know the battery was "fine" did anyone load test it right after the crash??

My choice of radio gear is based on many years of superb service and that speaks louder than anything to me. Becoming a member of Team Futaba was just icing on the cake.

You guys have a great evening, it's way past my bedtime.
    Futaba Team Driver

My choice of radio gear is based on many years of superb service and that speaks louder than anything to me. Becoming a member of Team Futaba was just icing on the cake

many years of futaba service ...sounds as if u broke a bunch of em lol had to say it ......now lets get on doug for his 60amp non spec esc's in the regieon this can go on all week lol

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    Ron... that really is a silly thing to say. Very few people have as much experience with the product as those that have been using it since before most of you could.

This bias towards "sponsored drivers" is really getting out of hand.

If you read my deal with Horizon, you'll find that the main point is to have racers in different areas of the country who can be there to help, provide advice, and put the products on display so people will know they are out there.

All you have EVER seen, or will see me do is provide introductary information, and provide follow-up help as much as possible. Hell, I've even gone so far as to drive across town and trade my PERSONAL TX to a racer who had broken his. THAT is why we are supported by these manufacturers, or at least that's what is expected of me from Team Horizon and Spektrum. It's a good thing for the hobby, if it's not abused.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    It takes 8 AA's. Because the screen autodims after about ten seconds it's hard to see if it's on or off. I've eaten three sets of AA's by not noticing that it was still on until I did the following :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUfxgIZxsA

I also installed a 2200 mAh lipo for power

I'm waiting to see if the radio is "too good to be true" at that price. So far, so good !
    How did you do it sir?

I see guys that always have wet boats, always have some failures. Replace your switches every year and have allot less headaches.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    Don't assume that ALL 2.4's have the same limitations as your radio, Don.

Spektrum has receivers that are quite water-resistant and DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR BOAT USE.

Spektrum receivers do not have problems with heat. We have published reports of them baking in ovens, working perfectly well, long after the plastic covers are useless.

Spektrum is used successfully in ignition-powered vehicles without any more protection than what would have been used in 72 MHz (usually with less).

Most of your other points I agree with - especially the $50 radio in the $1500 boat point.

I will still use my Spektrum radios in all my airplanes and boats. But then, I'm just a week bit prejudiced since I work on the design team.

Andy
    After reading your claims Andy i hunted down a Spectrum rep, I was told oven claim isnt accurate and spectrum could not tell me where that source was from. Also any electronics tested by heating up and then cooling off to see if it works is missing the point of the heat test in the first place as it needs to be operating at your stated "oven temp" and have no problems many cycles and hundreds of hours before they can claim heat does not affect them.

Who in spectrum provided you with the white paper on those tests? I tossed your name around stating you are on their design team and got nothing, them not knowing who you were, maybe i had some newguy or there is another facility.

And for the record i have both Futaba and Spectrum, though i prefer Fubies, both have had minor failures or glitches, though nothing serious and its to be expected.

Too many things can go wrong for anyone to agree on, on either side.

An observation by me to throw into the discussion,
    We also have the folks working for or representing these products pushing them to the hobbiest stating one is better than the other in order to sell them, both sides biased toward the other, even had one guy representing his brand, pushing his sponors products stating he wasnt pushing them after i asked a question he could not answer, not sure if he was ashamed or not. We as consumers will pick through the hype of sponsors and sellers and choose what we want, most of us anyway.

Personally i have zero problems with either sides products and will continue to buy them as needed as both have served me well......of course there is me and the flying thing, those recievers just cannot take ground impacts......(grin)

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post
    Yup just like you guessed when you gave this thread it's title. I'll still put my money on either the switch or the RX getting beat around like a ping pong ball, to leave one free like that is just plain stupid. And I'll tell you know most times over the years when I've seen a switch turn out to be the source for mystery radio issues it still "worked fine" when the problems first showed up. And how do you know the battery was "fine" did anyone load test it right after the crash??

My choice of radio gear is based on many years of superb service and that speaks louder than anything to me. Becoming a member of Team Futaba was just icing on the cake.

You guys have a great evening, it's way past my bedtime.
    Don its not bouncing around. It was in these with velcro. They tested it with some Hobbico rx meter.
    Steven Vaccaro

Hmm how did that double post?, meh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast