Thread: Simple Rear Hatch locks

Default Simple Rear Hatch locks

When I rigged my Insane 34" Mono, I pinned the front of the hatch. After a while I thought I'd do the rear. I bought a pair of small spring loaded locks, but to keep water from coming in these was not easily done. With a few parts laying around, [ screw anchor, 10-24 bolt, screw protector, cut-in-half grommet for seal] I made these : Simple, cheap, easy to use
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I use a very simular system as that as well,But where your insert nuts are i have a bolt coming up from inside the lip with a nut screwed on to hold the vertical bolt. I then cut a piece of silicon tube of required length that is a tight fit on the bolt & slid it on. The vertical bolt passes through the hole in the hatch as yours does with a knurled nut tightened down on the top of the hatch. when its tightened down it squashes the hatch against the silicon tube. Its 100% water proof. Martin

Very cool, thanks.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I use a very simular system as that as well,But where your insert nuts are i have a bolt coming up from inside the lip with a nut screwed on to hold the vertical bolt. I then cut a piece of silicon tube of required length that is a tight fit on the bolt & slid it on. The vertical bolt passes through the hole in the hatch as yours does with a knurled nut tightened down on the top of the hatch. when its tightened down it squashes the hatch against the silicon tube. Its 100% water proof. Martin
    Martin, I thought of a variation of that : having the screw anchor protrude through the hatch with a knob/bolt holding it down. There's more than one way to skin a cat (er mono)
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I find that on the small boats (15") im restricted on size & area that i have on everything so a 3mm nut & bolt coming up through the lip is a bit easier getting it in in restricted areas due to the very small sizes. Martin.

I think I'm going to do this on my boats. Inexpensive too!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

I also find when you put tape around the hatch on a curved front hatch that 1" or even .75" wide tape dosnt go round & sit flat very well. If you use 1/2" or 5/8" wide tape it stretches nice around curved hatches sitting flat. If i cant find the width tape i want i simply cut a complete roll to the width i want. Martin.

I'm getting sick of taping hatches actually...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Dont know about you guys but i like to have positive fixings front & rear on hatches & not just tape. It amazes me when some one has a high speed crash & wonders why the hatch comes of & says well i had the hatch taped down.

nice tip tony thanks
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Just put something similar on my pursuit

Jabbo, how did you secure the screw in place? I want to do this to my Pursuit as well!

The more I think about it, the more I like your way of doing it. The squished silicone seal makes a lot of sense.Either way, those bolt thingies or knurled nuts have a habit of hiding or roling into the unknown. My bolts are stainless, otherwise I'd just put a magnet under the hatch to trap them on top once dis-attached. I'll try the magnet thing next build when I use your idea if I use ferrous nuts.

I drilled and taped a piece of 1/8 thick 3/4 wide aluminum loctite the screws in that then siliconed the aluminum bar to the inside of the boat.

Tony to help me from losing small parts such as hatch screws I attached small tins to my boat stands it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
    Jabbo, how did you secure the screw in place? I want to do this to my Pursuit as well!
    Simply put a nut on the bolt to secure, Then slide a piece of silicon water tube on the bolt so that the hatch compresses the tube when tightened down. Dead simple. Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    Tony to help me from losing small parts such as hatch screws I attached small tins to my boat stands it works great.
    Good idea; I'll try that

Went with Martins idea, works great.