Thread: Aquacraft Motley Crew

Default Aquacraft Motley Crew

After taking my flex cable out of my boat, I noticed my cable is frayed on the end of the cable, just like Diesels.

Also, when removing the flex cable, it seemed to be hard to remove, after pulling it out I noticed the flex tube moved up causing a misalignment between motor and flex tube.My question is, will this misalignment cause a lot of friction on the teflon liner? will this be hard on the motor? see pic #3

My last question involves a pic of the prototype boat (Red) and Diesels boat. see anything different? Mine is the same way as Diesels...... look at the motor mount...is mine reversed?

I was always told when growing up, there is no such thing as a stupid question, but, there are dumb mistakes.I refuse to grow up, and will continue to ask questions and learn about FE Boating, because, it's just plain fun, thanks,

Ol Skool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ol Skool; 05-19-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Production photo is Diesels boat, mine is same way

That is pretty poor alignment! Remove the motor mount and reverse it to see if it may be causing the alignment issue.

It also looks like either they changed the tub length or motor position as the proto has more room ahead of the motor than does the production boat.

Wait, thats because the mount is reversed as well..

Maybe they found the boat needed the weight farther forward and with the motor mount flipped the motor and the lipos can move the COG farther ahead ????

I also don't believe in dumb questions.... We will try and get you the best answers we can...

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Skool View Post
    After taking my flex cable out of my boat, I noticed my cable is frayed on the end of the cable, just like Diesels.
    On all of my RTR’s I pull the cable out and do some sanding to remove any burrs and put a nice chamfer on the soldered end of the flex. I use my 1” belt sander to do this. Make sure if you’re going to use power tools that you take your time and make sure the grit on the belt isn’t too aggressive.

Also, when removing the flex cable, it seemed to be hard to remove, after pulling it out I noticed the flex tube moved up causing a misalignment between motor and flex tube.My question is, will this misalignment cause a lot of friction on the teflon liner? will this be hard on the motor? see pic #3
    To answer the question, YES it could cause some unwanted friction. Again, on all of my RTR’s I check the alignment of the coupler to the flex. You should be able to have your mounted in position, and be able to slide the flex in and out of the coupler while installed in the stuffing tube. That will signify a decent alignment. In some instances you may be able to “tweak” the motor mount to get the correct alignment. In your case, the miss-alignment seems to be a more severe. You can try a combo of a few things. I have CAREFULLY elongated the motor mount holes to provide additional adjustment between the flex shaft and the motor coupler. You can also try to (again CAREFULLY) bend the stuffing tube. I would remove the Teflon liner and use a solid rod inserted into the brass, and try working the stuffing tube that way.

My last question involves a pic of the prototype boat (Red) and Diesels boat. see anything different? Mine is the same way as Diesels...... look at the motor mount...is mine reversed?
    I wouldn’t worry too much about the orientation of the motor mount. That may have been a slight change between my prototype hull and the new production hull. It won’t make any difference on performance or reliability.

I was always told when growing up, there is no such thing as a stupid question, but, there are dumb mistakes.I refuse to grow up, and will continue to ask questions and learn about FE Boating, because, it's just plain fun, thanks,

Ol Skool
    Have Fun!!!

Later,
    Mike

Good catch and would fix another concern I had, I thought the distance between the stuffing tube & coupler was a bit much. The distance in the prototype seems normal, but mine seems excessive which it cause cable whip. I am going to turn my motor mount around as well as replace the coupler and the flexcable all before it's maiden.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Lots of changes happen over time.. truth is the prototype was a wood boat!

Here is a pic of the very first proto

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    Lots of changes happen over time.. truth is the prototype was a wood boat!

Here is a pic of the very first proto
    Cool stuff. I have one question, what sticker is hiding underneath the masking tape, next to the grim and Aqua stickers.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Cool stuff. I have one question, what sticker is hiding underneath the masking tape, next to the grim and Aqua stickers.

If I were a betting man, they are there to identify the CG of the hull. Notice the 2 black marks. I am guessing he didn't want to mess up that nice wood grain finish!!!

Later,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    If I were a betting man, they are there to identify the CG of the hull. Notice the 2 black marks. I am guessing he didn't want to mess up that nice wood grain finish!!!

Later,
    Mike
    Dam so simple. Good call. I guess its the conspiracy theorist in me that thought the worst first.
    Steven Vaccaro

Why has no one suggested or considered that MAYBE the manufacturer simply bolted the motor mount in backwards?? That would explain the extra distance between the collet and the stuffing tube, as well as the poor alignment. Anyone tried just turning it around and see how things line up??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Good catch and would fix another concern I had, I thought the distance between the stuffing tube & coupler was a bit much. The distance in the prototype seems normal, but mine seems excessive which it cause cable whip. I am going to turn my motor mount around as well as replace the coupler and the flexcable all before it's maiden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Why has no one suggested or considered that MAYBE the manufacturer simply bolted the motor mount in backwards?? That would explain the extra distance between the collet and the stuffing tube, as well as the poor alignment. Anyone tried just turning it around and see how things line up??
    Yup, that's what I am going to do!
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

good call darin...seems oversea's producers do someimes make a mistake or two...are they all like that? at least its a simple fix
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Hey, I did suggest that..

If that is what happened the motor mount is just flipped on assembly there would not be much of the flex cable inside the motor coupler either

maybe it was a good thing my boat ended up getting back ordered

My Motley Crew is just like yours that I bought just this Wedsday, could you slightly bend down the stuffing tube for better alignment? or would this be a big no no?

Quote Originally Posted by cmexeqtu2 View Post
    My Motley Crew is just like yours that I bought just this Wedsday, could you slightly bend down the stuffing tube for better alignment? or would this be a big no no?
    Thats what I did.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by fpsphoto View Post
    maybe it was a good thing my boat ended up getting back ordered
    Your just saying that to comfort yourself since tower screwed your order, you want it now. I had to clean your drool off the floor the other day after you seen it on the bench....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

is this the only issues with this new rtr?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

hopefully they fix the next batch .

Default drooling

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Your just saying that to comfort yourself since tower screwed your order, you want it now. I had to clean your drool off the floor the other day after you seen it on the bench....
    that was before I knew I was going to make up for it with a Whip, Mean Machine, and theBEAST (plane). But yes I still want one, it is a bad-ass boat

Your a bad influence anyways. I cant stop now. I have some sort of RC bug. Now were getting more planes?

You do realize that garage/workshop of yours is going to need a freaking alarm on it soon.

guys guys settle down now , sounds like fun I will be getting one soon tooo LOL