Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diesel Battery Testing:

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    Vegas I think.
    I will contribute to that thread with my findings.
    O sweet, shipping shouldn't be any issue in the States then.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

yeah, although going to windsor, back to illinois, going to three post offices in illinois, going to windsor, then coburg, then arriving is an issue with shipping for me.
    I'm gonna stick with gen's ace from now on, they seem to be the best.

Hey all,
    To note, as an update from Diesel's initial posting and when I sent him samples, the exact case style that he has is no longer in use. We are taking a good hard look at all of our batteries and looking at what we can do to improve their construction for boat use. One thing I would avoid, no matter what brand you buy is the bullet with plug in leads and would go only with the hard wired packs. You're eliminating one set of plugs to go bad or raise resistance.

About the hard wired packs, we have three different hard wired, High C rate packs. The top of the line currently is the 50C 5000mah, p/n 15058.

To Diesel also, no worries about the time or info, take care of yourself before your hobby's. :D

--Paul Susbauer
    Venom Group International

So according to the fact that Diesel had the plug in packs with extra resistance, another test with hard wired packs could be more thorough as to compare performance. The support for Venom batteries has risen rather rapidly in the UK since the new lines came out. Mostly in the car racing field.

Venom 50c 5000mah - $149.99 Hyperion 45c 5000mah- $148.95 ----Here would be a good test in a boat.....

I'm currently have Hyperion 4s 4200mah 45-90c which I will be testing against cheaper batteries Winmax 4s 4200mah 50-100c. Will start a review within a month.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

How is the pack constructed inside the hard case?
    I would think about opening that case and a little re-wiring and wrapping job if they would be no use to you otherwise. (this would void the warranty if purchased)
    I would still expect wires coming out of the pack inside the case into the 4mm.
    Wrapping or shrink wrapping the whole battery and then sticking the label that was originally on the hard case would make it look fine.
    The wires inside would be pretty short but should be easy enough to lengthen. Twisting wires together and soldering through adds little to no resistance if done correctly.
    The 4mm connectors obviously to be replaced by 5.5mm
    I have seen a few of your battery repair jobs before diesel, I'm sure you would be up to the task

Quote Originally Posted by Drax21 View Post
    How is the pack constructed inside the hard case?
    I would think about opening that case and a little re-wiring and wrapping job if they would be no use to you otherwise. (this would void the warranty if purchased)
    I would still expect wires coming out of the pack inside the case into the 4mm.
    Wrapping or shrink wrapping the whole battery and then sticking the label that was originally on the hard case would make it look fine.
    The wires inside would be pretty short but should be easy enough to lengthen. Twisting wires together and soldering through adds little to no resistance if done correctly.
    The 4mm connectors obviously to be replaced by 5.5mm
    I have seen a few of your battery repair jobs before diesel, I'm sure you would be up to the task
    Already did it lol. Here's what I came up with. The 4mm bullets by far the week point. Inside short 12g wire attached the cells to the 4mm bullets, so you end up with wires to bullets then more wires attaching to the bullets. Lot's of resistance. Other companies do this as well, I'm not a fan though. So I thought of reusing the hardcase for use in land rc's and removing the cells from the case for boating. I modded the shell, and hardwired 12g to the cells, I will be replacing that 12g with 8g though I just need to order some red 8g to make it right. I also thought of dumping the reusable shell idea and just wrapping the cells as they are and making them soft packs. Not sure what I wanna do. I saved weight though.

First pic is cells outside of hardcase shell
    Second pic slide into the reusable shell
    Third pic the top is mine modded the lower is the stock from venom
    Fouth is weight of just cells (9.2oz)
    Fifth is stock with wires (11.2oz)

* my scale is not calibrated so maybe a few oz off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 02-29-2012 at 07:30 AM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

1st: pack opened
    2nd: you can see how much extra space is used/needed for the wiring/connection setup
    3rd: 12g to the 4mm post
    4th: 12g hardwired
    5th: balance plug (i use extensions from HK, 10 for like $2 and I make my own balance plug any length i want)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Already did it lol. Here's what I came up with. The 4mm bullets by far the week point. Inside short 12g wire attached the cells to the 4mm bullets, so you end up with wires to bullets then more wires attaching to the bullets. Lot's of resistance. Other companies do this as well, I'm not a fan though. So I thought of reusing the hardcase for use in land rc's and removing the cells from the case for boating. I modded the shell, and hardwired 12g to the cells, I will be replacing that 12g with 8g though I just need to order some red 8g to make it right. I also thought of dumping the reusable shell idea and just wrapping the cells as they are and making them soft packs. Not sure what I wanna do. I saved weight though.

First pic is cells outside of hardcase shell
    Second pic slide into the reusable shell
    Third pic the top is mine modded the lower is the stock from venom
    Fouth is weight of just cells (9.2oz)
    Fifth is stock with wires (1lb 1.2oz)

* my scale is not calibrated so maybe a few oz off.
    I think you mean #4 is 9.2 0z
    #5 is 11.2 oz
    that would be 2 oz for the case & extra wires

Dirk

Good job Diesel. Good idea with a re-usable hard case!

Quote Originally Posted by Skater View Post
    I think you mean #4 is 9.2 0z
    #5 is 11.2 oz
    that would be 2 oz for the case & extra wires

Dirk
    Yes sorry

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Hi Dale,
    Thanks for all the info.
    Where did you buy your little black cell tester and is it good for all packs ?https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...7&d=1318229995

I also would be interested in that mini cell voltage meter

This is the little cell tester I have http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8S%5FLipo.html

Steve here at ose and Jan at kintec sale some similar products. There is a futaba unit I'm eyeing up http://kintecracing.com/Electrical.html

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

This one is the best I've used
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=emp-Sentry

The mini black one is cheap and I do use it as a backup, but the Hyperion is much faster to powerup and give a reading.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

This is the little cell tester I have http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8S%5FLipo.html

Steve here at ose and Jan at kintec sale some similar products. There is a futaba unit I'm eyeing up http://kintecracing.com/Electrical.html

How will does the one from hk work for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    This one is the best I've used
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=emp-Sentry

The mini black one is cheap and I do use it as a backup, but the Hyperion is much faster to powerup and give a reading.
    Hi Steven,
    The one you sell gos to 7s only ?

Thanks for the info.

I love the little black HK one I have. I bought it several years ago before Steve had the hyperion ones. I keep it on me always especially at the flying field. The Hyperion one has more features I believe and seems to be a good buy. Coming from ose the shipping should be less cost and and faster delivery as well.

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Stumbled across this on the web http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...final-results/

I was able to try out my new Gens Ace 4s 5300mah 30c lipos in 4s2p setup in my Pursuit 32. That boat has never ran that fast before in the configuration, my mouth dropped. I was using Turnigy 4s 3600 30c prior.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Stumbled across this on the web http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...final-results/

I was able to try out my new Gens Ace 4s 5300mah 30c lipos in 4s2p setup in my Pursuit 32. That boat has never ran that fast before in the configuration, my mouth dropped. I was using Turnigy 4s 3600 30c prior.

I use to run standard 40c turnigys in my Pursuit and it always ran in the 40s. Changed to Hyperion for my Cyberstorm Build and BOOM power increase. 50s easy with the right prop. As I have found though like Gens Ace, you don't need to pay premium prices to get a good performing battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax21 View Post
    I use to run standard 40c turnigys in my Pursuit and it always ran in the 40s. Changed to Hyperion for my Cyberstorm Build and BOOM power increase. 50s easy with the right prop. As I have found though like Gens Ace, you don't need to pay premium prices to get a good performing battery.
    Yea I def agree with that last statment. I believe yes you'll have more customer support with TP and Hyp packs, but the days of you have to drop a whole paycheck just on cells are gone. The GensAce packs are truly the best bang for the buck imho and if I had to buy top name batts for all my rc stuff: Planes, boats, helis and sc10s id be in debt. I do use Hyp cells in my micro helis as they are very affortable. Normally only a few $ difference vs HK packs. I did find it very interesting while over in the Heli forums that guys with $2k+ helis are using Gens Ace packs and trust them and love their performance. Not sure if u seen the larger 3D helis 700 size and up, but that's a lot a power and with "right now" type needs, Some of those are 12s setups

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I dont believe that you're going to see a 10 mph increase in speed going from turnigy's to hyperion in a 32" mono. (10 mph implied by speed designation) Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    I dont believe that you're going to see a 10 mph increase in speed going from turnigy's to hyperion in a 32" mono. (10 mph implied by speed designation) Sorry.
    Nah it was more like 48MPH with turnigy. 55MPH with Hyperion. I did say 40s then 50s Not a full 10MPH difference.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234