Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Battery Testing:

Onething I wanted to mention is I downloaded this app from the android market called "RC Battery Log", I think it was $.99. It's pretty cool, and I started using is to keep track on the on the runs and times logged on my batts. It also breaks down the cost per cycle/run. Right now the old Turnigy packs I have 11 runs on and cost $2.27 per run. Pretty cool when you think of that way.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    I don't think it's to far off topic. I would be curious for a answer on that myself. Maybe storage reduces at a slower more equal rate ensuring cells dont get to far out of balance to each other and he reg discharge function doesn't. That's just a guess and not a fact based answer.
    I think you're right, storage mode balances the cells as well as discharging them if necessary.

EDIT: BTW, love what you're doing with this testing, very helpful, thank you!

here is a great read about Lipo care..
    good stuff in here
    http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Hey Dale, I had a pair of those Venom 50c packs and I did like them
    I only ran them once in my ERevo and they seemed to have good punch
    on the pro side that I think is on the con side is the changeable ends, as they do wear out quickly I hear....
    Wear out and corrode quickly!
    I'm married with children, you can't scare me!

My ProTek Prodigy 610 Duo charger balances the cells when used in Storage Mode, but not in Discharge Mode. I've discharged 2S packs (the only configuration I own), & have found as much as 400 mv difference between cell 1 & cell 2 when finished. Ain't got a clue as to how other brands of chargers operate in Storage/Discharge Modes . . . .

My Hyperion 606i AC/DC balances in both discharge and storage modes. Have not tested the 720i yet?

guys i have been testing&racing venom 5000/40c batterys for over a year now.they work great.don't use the deans conn. supplied with the packs.i always cycle mine to 3.2v after testing along w balancing to hopefully 1 to 2 hun. on cell voltage.try not to go over 2c on charge rate.this season we wil be running 5mm connectors on all packs & stepping up to .2 on pitch on props.this will be intresting to see how the venoms fair.

Please lets not plug this thread with irrelevant posts. Diesel is doing a great thing here by posting real numbers from a data logger, not just my boat looks fast and my batteries balance to within whatever, thats absolute useless information! Post running data or post nothing I say.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

nice info deisel.i can't emfasize the need about the supplied connectors tho.sorry about your boat being upside down siberian!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Gens Ace 2s 5300mah 30-60c (series 4s)
    Also brand new, these packs performed the best out of all the packs tested. They Showed the lowest voltage drop under load and provided the most punch and yielded the best speed results. They lead the group without a doubt. So far very impressed! Time will tell if they can maintain that edge.
    Glad You find GensAce is the winner. I did almost the same testing and honestly chose GensAce for real racing.

I would like to say that GensAce sales representative (Pamela ) also reads this forum and this thread.
    Let me know if you want to contact Pam directly - I will send you PM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tygrysiek82

Subscribed..........................
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

hi Diesel

Here I found on youtube a good review regarding the Gens Ace lipos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYeHfe8YszA
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

Default Another round of testing

So I decided to break down the battery testing into 2 separate groups, Group 1 will be the Venom and Gens Ace batts. I figured the 2 new packs would be great together and the Turnigy Packs can be in a world of there own. I realized that testing 4 sets of batts the same day is very time consuming, especially when waiting about 10-15 minutes in between each run to allow for electronics to cool down. With that being said I tested the Gens Ace and Venom's today.

Setup:
    Boat: MC
    Esc: AQ 60amp
    Motor: AQ 1800kv 6-pole
    Prop: Grim 42x55
    Runtime: 3 minutes
    OAT: 93F

* Gens Ace batts used in youtube video. I do have the venom video on file, but did not upload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr4FW...el_video_title
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Venom 2s 5000mah 50-100c:

Speed: 39.5mph
    Motor: 136F
    Esc Cap: 136F
    Pack 1: 127F
    Pack 2: 126F
    Volts: Max - 16.69vdc, Min: 13.63vdc
    Amps: Peak - 97.49
    Watts: Peak - 1444.80
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Gens Ace 2s 5300mah 30-60c:

Speed: 43.4mph
    Motor: 134F
    Esc Cap: 129F
    Pack 1: 122F
    Pack 2: 121F
    Volts: Max - 16.69vdc, Min: 14.04vdc
    Amps: Peak - 95.17
    Watts: Peak - 1480.85
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Venom 2s 5000mah 50-100c vs. Gens Ace 2s 5300mah 30-60c

Once again the Gens Ace's outperformed the Venom's, but I wonder if the overall size and extra weight of the hardcase venom's are playing a part in the speed loss. I am going to pick up a small scale and weight each batt and get some dimensions on the overall size difference. I noticed the same thing with the venom's as I did with the 6000mah turnigy nano-techs, the length and phyicall size threw the boats cg off and made it run more wet then the other batteries tested. The nano however did not show as much as a voltage drop as they venoms did on the first round of testing.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Size comparison, I will get those weights when I go out and pick up a scale.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

so the Gens look to be king right now...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    so the Gens look to be king right now...
    As of right now yup. There performance matched with there value are hard to beat right now, only time will tell.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I was told last weekend by a forum member I met that the Gens Ace don't last as long as the Nano-Tech, thats why I'm glad this is going to be a long term thing. Numbers to back things up. Way to go!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    I was told last weekend by a forum member I met that the Gens Ace don't last as long as the Nano-Tech, thats why I'm glad this is going to be a long term thing. Numbers to back things up. Way to go!
    One thing it comes down to is the cost per run. If say I get 10 runs on my gens ace that's like $3 and some change per run which makes them well worth there value, but at the point when they have paid for themselves every run after that is a steal in my book. Long term is the key though. Once I switch out the stock setup and really put some power into this boat, we will see how well they do then.

Thanks for all the support guys... not sure how long this will go on, but I will try and make it last as long as possible (until something blows). Breaking down the venoms and gens aces into there own little group will help me out.

Check out the battery logging app if you guys have android phones. Looking at the cost per run really puts a smile on your face. The gens aces and turnigys maybe cheap but they perform well and pay for themselves very VERY quickly. JMHO
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Thats the way I look at it kind of, they are cheap enough that I could regualrly put a 4s or pair of 2s packs in an order if I have extra shipping weight left, I'm just having fun so a number of packs serves me better than a couple high end packs and waiting for things to charge at the pond.
    If I keep them labeled and use them as sets, they see fewer runs each over the summer spread out over a number of packs, if I have to replace couple next spring I can live with that.
    If I ever get the opportunity to go to a big race then I'd buy some better batteries.

Is there any kind of baseline for how many charges to expect from a lipo? 10 runs seems a bit weak?

Quote Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
    Is there any kind of baseline for how many charges to expect from a lipo? 10 runs seems a bit weak?
    If taken care of and not run down past 80% use, any and all decent packs should see 200+ charges

Dale,

Have you been warming the lipos prior to the run? Some say that it makes little difference, but most admit that performance is more efficient and less heat buildup during discharge. However, that is on higher amp draws than you are evaluating here, but may be applicable for future testing.

If you have any questions about warming lipos, Egneg (Chuck) has conducted some real-world testing and has the low cost/efficient solution.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
    10 runs is just how long I have had the batteries.... Kinda weak? I simply have not had the chance to put that many cycles on them yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Dale,

Have you been warming the lipos prior to the run? Some say that it makes little difference, but most admit that performance is more efficient and less heat buildup during discharge. However, that is on higher amp draws than you are evaluating here, but may be applicable for future testing.

If you have any questions about warming lipos, Egneg (Chuck) has conducted some real-world testing and has the low cost/efficient solution.
    Heard that before and maybe I'll try that out later. Right now my baseline is new guy right out the gate which batteries do I buy. That's kinda the approach I am taking on this at this time, but I may want to try that down the line. I will get with Chuck about that. Thanks for the suggestion and feel free to add many more suggestions, I always valued your input.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I'd like to see which one holds out cycle wise, since the gen's are discharging more, do the lipos discharge a certain amount during a lifetime? (ie. one pack discharging 30C, other 60C. Does 30C last wice as long?)
    I know the Gen's are really nice batts, I bet they last longer than the venom's
    oh by the way, Bump and subscribe.

There is definitely a difference in punch out of the hole with warming the cells up prior to use , the internal resistance of the cells goes down so in essence even though they go out warmer the usually come back in cooler . that has been a real world observation that we have seen . Warming the cells to about 100* - 110* is also better for them
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

Guys very sorry I have not been able to continue my battery testing. Me and the wife just moved while she is pregnant with our first and last week she ended up in the hospital for a few days with pre-term larbor. All in all it's been kinda crazy for us last month or so with everything going on and we found out she has to be on best rest now until it's time to deliver. So lot's of crazyness to say the least and very sorry I haven't been able to continue this.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast