Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Battery Testing:

Arrow Diesel Battery Testing:

I have been giving the opportunity to do some battery testing. Thanks to Paul at Venom RC I was able to get my hands on some nice venom packs to see how they stand up against other popular packs. I figured no better boat to try this out on then the new Motley Crew from aquacraft. The rtr market is typically the biggest so this looks like a good starting place. This will be a ongoing test, and after some use on milder amp draw setups I will put these in some of my higher amp draw setups. Will be using a eagle tree data logger for data and will be monitoring voltage drop, amps, loaded rpms, wattage and maybe a few other things with it. Speed will be a standard Garmin GPS. Not the best but will work. The real true data will come from the eagletree. For now this will be a good starting place. I am trying to keep the mah and c ratings similar to tested packs but that's kinda hard to do. The batteries i will be testing are listed along with pros/cons.

My MC ETA is Tuesday 5/17. I will be out of town this weekend, but testing will begin when I get back. I plan on running stock at first then we will drop the new power package that I have for the boat.
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 05-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Default Venom 2s 5000mah 50-100c, $99.99 each from venom-group.com. Packs are brand new

Venom 2s 5000mah 50-100c, $99.99 each from venom-group.com. Packs are brand new

PROS:
    - first thing that pops out is the 50-100c discharge rating
    - even though I personally will not be using this, the venom multi-adapter plugs are pretty cool and well thought out. Pretty much every common plug has a quick attach adapter
    - packs came well stored 3.984v, 3.983v on one pack and . 3.980c, 3.974c on other pack
    - available at most LHS or multi sources
    - well packaged

CONS:
    - impressed by the c rating, but with a battery that can possible burst 500amps the small 12 gauge wire and what appears to be either 3.5mm or 4mm bullet connections that go into the lipo shocked me
    - 1c charge rate
    - price is highest out of packs tested

THOUGHTS:

* over all the pack looks good, I typically don't use hardcases packs in boating, but nonetheless these packs will get a good workout. If they handle boat amp draw well they will surely rock in land vehicles.

* The small connections into the battery are a big shocker for me, these batts are rated to be able to deliver 250 amps continuous, but the small connectors that connect the leads to the batteries are rated at say less then 100amps based on there size.... Doesn't add up to me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 05-16-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Gens Ace 2s 5300mah 30-60c, $33.02 from Hobbypartz.com. Packs are brand new.

Gens Ace 2s 5300mah 30-60c, $33.02 from Hobbypartz.com. Packs are brand new.

PROS:
    - good price
    - fast shipping and well packed from hobbypartz
    - 5c charge rate
    - good c rating
    - packs arrived with 3.820v, 3.825v on both packs

CONS:
    - available only from selected site
    - can be out of stock often
    - once again 12 gauge wiring is a no no
    - lame connectors

THOUGHTS
    * I dig the price and hobbypartz is a great reliable source with typically 3 day shipping and free shipping over $50 orders. Being only available from one source though is a pain. I bought these packs just to test a new set of packs against the venom's. The gens ace packs are starting to get a good following in the RC world so let's see what all the hype is about.
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 05-16-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Turnigy 2s 5000mah 40-50c, $24.99 from hobbyking.com. Packs have < 15 cycles

Turnigy 2s 5000mah 40-50c, $24.99 from hobbyking.com. Packs have < 15 cycles

PROS:
    - price
    - good c rating
    - 8 gauge wire
    - comes pre-soldered with 5.5mm bullets (plus for most us boaters, not for all though)

CONS:
    - never in stock
    - shipping from HK is a adventure to say the least
    - 1c charge rate
    - quality control from HK is suspect

THOUGHTS:
    * so far these are some of the best packs I have owned to date, but the test data will show how good they really are. I am kinda curious on how these will perform in the test. They have the most cycles out of all the batts tested and are the cheapest priced and have a large following. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 05-16-2011 at 02:31 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Turnigy Nano-Tech 2s 6000mah 25-50c, $28.94 from hobbyking.com, < 5 cycles

Turnigy Nano-Tech 2s 6000mah 25-50c, $28.94 from hobbyking.com, < 5 cycles

PROS:
    - Price
    - even though the lowest c rating the mah size along with the 50c burst make these a steal
    - 5c charge rate
    - 8 Gauge wire

CONS:
    - once again dealing with HK can be hit or miss
    - lame connectors

THOUGHTS:
    * Wanting to see how these perform. They are nice well constructed packs, the largest of the group due to the 6000mah rating. 5c charge rates are great for quick charging packs if your charger is up to the task. Dying to see how these perform against the orginal turnigy packs.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Why don't you use hard packs? I like using my hard packs in my boat. I can't wait for the results.

why bother with hard packs. They are heavy.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun78 View Post
    Why don't you use hard packs? I like using my hard packs in my boat. I can't wait for the results.
    3 reason I don't personally like hard packs.

้้้1) these packs are a perfect example. You can change the end plugs, but not the plugs that the leads go into the batts. I placed 5.5mm bullets on the end, but where the leads plug into the batt still only 3.5mm, so if I put this in a high amp setup, that's going to be the weakest part of the batts, those small connectors aren't gonna cut it in semi-high amp draw boating purposes. JMO

2) unneeded extra size/weight. Sometimes weight is good, but when you don't want/need extra weight your screwed with these packs

3) hard packs are meant to keep the cells safe, but what about a submersion water will find away into those packs if fully submerged, my soft packs I can shake out of blow out with electrical cleaner and if really bad easily cut the shrink wrap dry out and re-wrap, not so easy with hardcases.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Hey Dale, I had a pair of those Venom 50c packs and I did like them
    I only ran them once in my ERevo and they seemed to have good punch
    on the pro side that I think is on the con side is the changeable ends, as they do wear out quickly I hear....
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Good points on the hard packs. My gen ace packs are wired like a regular pack. Wire leads are directly soldered to the board with no bullets like my venom hard cases have. Can't wait for results

hard packs are designed for cars where they could really rough treatment. Not well suited for boats IMHO.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

will be watching this. Have nano tecs regular turnigy's and they work well but interested in those gen ace batts as they claim to perform on the same level as TP. Good luck and god speed to your testing.

Subscribe! (How do I subscribe without commenting?)

At the top of the page there is a thread tools button, check it out.

Ok guys, got some testing done today. First thing I want to mention is how great the Motley Crew ran. She turns wonderfully and handled a little chop nicely. Lot's of adjustments need to be done. The boat ran extremely wet and speed suffered because of it. I also ran a CF42 prop until I get a new flexshaft (don't trust the stock one with a metal prop). All in all I really like the boat and after some tweaking she will be great. So here are the results. Speed was not the goal here data was...

Run Time: 3m timed
    Outside: 90F
    Water: 83F
    Motor: Stock MC 1800kv
    Esc: Stock 60amp
    Prop: CF42

Now I understand this isn't the most accurate way, bench testing with expensive machines and all that would be best, but we don't run our boats on machine and benchs so in real world applications this is the best I can do. Take the information for what it is.

* Video will be loaded to youtube. Lot's of video and pictures so please very patient. I will post when it is loaded.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Venom 2s 5000mah 50-100c (series for 4s)

Venom 2s 5000mah 50-100c (series for 4s)

Speed: 36.5mph
    Batt 1: 127F
    Batt 2: 130F
    Motor: 119F
    ESC: 117F
    Volts: Max - 16.76vdc / Min - 14.13vdc
    Amps: Max 82.90
    Loaded Rpm: Averaged between 21,000 - 23,000
    Watts: Max 1252.62

After run:
    Batt 1: 3.80vdc,3.81vdc
    Batt 2: 3.80vdc, 3.80vdc

* Out of all the batts tested today the Venom's had the largest drop in voltage, highest temp reading per batts while yielding the higher price tag. Time will tell on these. They are new and may need some time to stretch a little and settle in. I am sure the heat is related to the hardcase lipos.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Gens Ace 2s 5300mah 30-60c (series 4s)

Gens Ace 2s 5300mah 30-60c (series 4s)

Speed: 37.2mph
    Batt 1: 119F
    Batt 2: 120F
    Motor: 114F
    ESC: 112F
    Volts: Max - 16.78vdc / Min - 14.76vdc
    Amps: Max 83.65
    Loaded Rpm: Averaged between 23,000 - 25,000 with several spikes around 28,000
    Watts: Max 1340.07

After run:
    Batt 1: 3.86vdc, 3.88vdc
    Batt 2: 3.85vdc, 3.86vdc

* Also brand new, these packs performed the best out of all the packs tested. They Showed the lowest voltage drop under load and provided the most punch and yielded the best speed results. They lead the group without a doubt. So far very impressed! Time will tell if they can maintain that edge.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

good stuff!
    in my opinion I don't thik the case on the packs will make the Venom's heat up like that..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Default Turnigy 2s 5000mah 40-50c (series 4s)

Turnigy 2s 5000mah 40-50c (series 4s)

Speed: 37.1mph
    Batt 1: 113F
    Batt 2: 118F
    Motor: 120F
    ESC: 113F
    Volts: Max - 16.78vdc / Min - 14.22vdc
    Amps: Max 77.79
    Loaded Rpm: Averaged between 21,500 - 23,000
    Watts: Max 1237.64

After run:
    Batt 1: 3.76vdc, 3.75vdc
    Batt 2: 3.76vdc, 3.75vdc

* The oldest packs out the bunch still help up and competed nicely. These are my trusted packs and have been my fav for a while so I am kinda cheering for them deep inside. lol. Didn't do the best, but they stood there ground.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Are you cycling these packs before the testing?

and what are the runtimes, as I know the longer the runs the warmer the packs can get....?

Default Turnigy Nano-Tech 2s 6000mah 25-50c (series 4s)

Turnigy Nano-Tech 2s 6000mah 25-50c (series 4s)

Speed: 36.3mph
    Batt 1: 109F
    Batt 2: 110F
    Motor: 116F
    ESC: 110F
    Volts: Max - 16.85vdc / Min - 14.43vdc
    Amps: Max 82.34
    Loaded Rpm: Averaged between 21,000 - 23,500
    Watts: Max 1310.03

After run:
    Batt 1: 3.83vdc, 3.84vdc
    Batt 2: 3.83vdc, 3.83vdc

* Although yielding the slowest speed which maybe a result of them being the largest of the bunch they performed very well, the keep close to the Gens Ace lipos even though the netted the lower speed.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Great work so far Dale. Keep it up bud! Super interesting thread and I like the "real world" testing. If you need me to test the MC to see if it floats the same in FL as it does NC, Id be more than willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Are you cycling these packs before the testing?
    No I didn't. I thought about it, but said to myself I never cycled packs before so why start now. I tried to keep somethings some what constant. Even though now I know it's the best thing to do, new boaters and rc guys don't know that so they just charge and run so I tried to think of this like a new guy looking to just charge and go and the best bang for my buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    and what are the runtimes, as I know the longer the runs the warmer the packs can get....?
    3 min timed for all.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Great work so far Dale. Keep it up bud! Super interesting thread and I like the "real world" testing. If you need me to test the MC to see if it floats the same in FL as it does NC, Id be more than willing.

Thanks bud.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I thought I read somewhere it wasnt advised to cycle lipos on a charger... or am I missing something that I have not yet learned? I also read that you shouldnt use the discharge feature either? I want to say I read this on a Reedy lipo package?

Seriously Dale, it will run different. The water is wetter here, which produces less viscosity and less friction, however, the prop mysteriously bites harder therefore final resulting in a boat thats significanlty faster than in your waters. If you dont believe me, you have my address. And hey, if Im wrong, Im wrong and Ill ship it back to you at your expense.

I thought I read somewhere it wasnt advised to cycle lipos on a charger... or am I missing something that I have not yet learned? I also read that you shouldnt use the discharge feature either? I want to say I read this on a Reedy lipo package?

Seriously Dale, it will run different. The water is wetter here, which produces less viscosity and less friction, however, the prop mysteriously bites harder therefore final resulting in a boat thats significanlty faster than in your waters. If you dont believe me, you have my address. And hey, if Im wrong, Im wrong and Ill ship it back to you at your expense.
    I read about it on one of those sites either rcu or rcg about it and someone mentioned to me prior to this test if I planned on doing it. I have personally never cycled my packs prior to use, but i have heard that before a few times. Maybe there should be a test on if it's better or not.

I have never used the discharge feature on my chargers before, but have used the storage feature many times. How's that work? Wouldn't it partially discharge the packs or add to the packs to meet the set storage level?

HAHAHAHAHAHA lmao Tiq, I'll let you if I need that FL water vs. NC water tested completed lol....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    I read about it on one of those sites either rcu or rcg about it and someone mentioned to me prior to this test if I planned on doing it. I have personally never cycled my packs prior to use, but i have heard that before a few times. Maybe there should be a test on if it's better or not.

I have never used the discharge feature on my chargers before, but have used the storage feature many times. How's that work? Wouldn't it partially discharge the packs or add to the packs to meet the set storage level?

HAHAHAHAHAHA lmao Tiq, I'll let you if I need that FL water vs. NC water tested completed lol....
    I wondered that too. I realize what storage feature is, but whats the difference between (for instance if you have to discharge ot get to your storage) and discharging at a certain rate and keeping an eye on it to get it to that voltage? If this ? is too far off topic from testing, Ill start a thread in the Batery forums. Just like to know if thier is a short answer.

If you dont believe me, you have my address. And hey, if Im wrong, Im wrong and Ill ship it back to you at your expense.
    I like your thinking... I believe I heard once that the water here is denser and boats float better.

Diesel, if you ship me the MC after tiqueman is done I'll be happy to help with testing.

I wondered that too. I realize what storage feature is, but whats the difference between (for instance if you have to discharge ot get to your storage) and discharging at a certain rate and keeping an eye on it to get it to that voltage? If this ? is too far off topic from testing, Ill start a thread in the Batery forums. Just like to know if thier is a short answer.
    I don't think it's to far off topic. I would be curious for a answer on that myself. Maybe storage reduces at a slower more equal rate ensuring cells dont get to far out of balance to each other and he reg discharge function doesn't. That's just a guess and not a fact based answer.

Quote Originally Posted by GP73 View Post
    I like your thinking... I believe I heard once that the water here is denser and boats float better.

Diesel, if you ship me the MC after tiqueman is done I'll be happy to help with testing.

hahahahaha ....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast