Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused on what prop to start with?

Default Confused on what prop to start with?

I've dug though a lot of posts and have to admit I'm still confused on props. Wondering what will get me the most bang for the buck running the stock electronics? Also wondering if I can get plastic versions or something cheaper then the $35-40 props most folks are talking about for testing purposes before I commit the $40 for a nice metal prop?

I think from my reading I've picked up that the x642 is a good one to start with?

These seem to be the other common ones folks are talking about:
    • Octura x442 Sharpened & Balanced

• Octura x445 Sharpened & Balanced

• Sharpened & Balanced GrimRacer 42 x 55 Prop

• I've also seen the Prather 215 mentioned a few times?

Not sure what to start with?

There are certain props that are must have for your prop box and all those should be in there. Your prop box will grow over time. One of my all time favorite boats for this boat and many others has been the grim 42x55. Others will say x642 all the way, but me personally I really dig that grim prop and I actually think it runs better on this boat then the x642 does.... I have the grim prop on my MG right now. Stock esc, but different motor.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

A bit of general advice. You have to be very careful when taking prop suggestions. Some guys just like to blast up and down the pond a few times to see how fast they can get their boats and tell you XXX prop works great. But if you run one of these props for more than a minute your going to smoke your equipment. So you have to decide if you want run time or top speed. Fast Electrics are all about managing amps and heat. Keep this in mind when choosing a prop. And no matter what prop you choose, only run it for a minute first time out and check your electrics for excessive heat (about 130 degrees). Then keep adding 30 seconds more run time till you find out where the danger zone is for that prop. Good Luck!!

BTW-This is not a bust on Dales post. Just general info I tell all new FE boaters.
    Last edited by Chilli; 05-14-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Good advice!I'll try and remember as I will probably push things with my MG and have been away from this stuff for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    There are certain props that are must have for your prop box and all those should be in there. Your prop box will grow over time. One of my all time favorite boats for this boat and many others has been the grim 42x55. Others will say x642 all the way, but me personally I really dig that grim prop and I actually think it runs better on this boat then the x642 does.... I have the grim prop on my MG right now. Stock esc, but different motor.
    I have a lot of props all mostlty octura. X642 m440 m445 m545 m645 and 220 what pitch is the 42 x55 maybe that will be my next addition. Overall I've run about 5 different motors in my boat and each motor I find the best prop for it the x642 and m445 are my 2 favorites I've never had a motor or esc above 105 with any of these props but would sure like to know a little more about the grim since I have seen that as another popular prop. I very rarely even try the 220 any more since I've found it to kill my speed

Quote Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
    These seem to be the other common ones folks are talking about:
    • Octura x442 Sharpened & Balanced

• Octura x445 Sharpened & Balanced

• Sharpened & Balanced GrimRacer 42 x 55 Prop

• I've also seen the Prather 215 mentioned a few times?

Not sure what to start with?
    The Prather 215 is basically the same as what comes on the boat, just stainless instead of plastic. Also happens to be about the same as the Stiletto prop. The plastic MG prop actually has slightly more pitch if you measure it.

In my opinion, based on LOTs of testing... NONE of the props listed above are any "bang" at all on a stock MG... None of them have enough pitch. The 42x55 might be a little better than the rest.

The X642 you have would be a good place to start. Run it, get the boat setup and working correctly, check your temps (and relate that to how long you've run), and if everything looks really good, then there are some bigger props that will wake the boat right up. I wouldn't dive into them, however, until you have everything else working correctly.

If you get it working with the X642, then you can also pitch it up slightly by bending on it a little in the right places, but I'd save that until after you are happy with how everything else is working.

Again, as I've said here many times... the STOCK system is quite capable of being a consistant 45mph system without stressing it too hard, and near 50 if you know how to push things. Have to get everything else setup and working correctly first.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post

Again, as I've said here many times... the STOCK system is quite capable of being a consistant 45mph system without stressing it too hard, and near 50 if you know how to push things. Have to get everything else setup and working correctly first.
    And what prop is this? wouldn't mind running the stock motor on 4s if i can get over 45 with it. Have a ul1 in there right now running around 47 with an m445. Would like to get my vegas set up with either the ul1 or PB 1500kv but i can't seem to get the speed out of it. What is a better prop? Amp draw aside ( running a 120 esc), i just need the motor to last for 3-4 min at a time

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    And what prop is this? wouldn't mind running the stock motor on 4s if i can get over 45 with it. Have a ul1 in there right now running around 47 with an m445. Would like to get my vegas set up with either the ul1 or PB 1500kv but i can't seem to get the speed out of it. What is a better prop? Amp draw aside ( running a 120 esc), i just need the motor to last for 3-4 min at a time
    The UL1 is a 2000KV motor (never tested one that got over 1970 or so, actually)... The PB1500KV is a totally different motor. WAY less RPM, WAY more torque... As such, the prop needs to have much more pitch in order to equal the speeds. Handling can suffer as a result, so getting everything setup correctly is going to be necessary.

The X645 is a good place to start. The ABC 45x55 is another good one.

I recorded 47-49mph in my stock MG with a Prather 230, with consistant speeds a tad over 45mph... Not sure how that would handle on a race-course, however, and it was pulling well over 70-Amps... I was doing it on a STOCK ESC as well...

any 3 bladers that would work? an x646/3 maybe or is that too big? Thought i overheard you saying that 3 bladers are where it is at for racing. I'm running the 1500 in a vegas conversion i got from tony with the x645 and i'm just not that impressed, i prefer to run my MG cause it is faster. Maybe i'm expecting too much out of a spec set up. Should i pick up a prop with more lift for my hydro? Not exactly sure what I'm doing with it.

Try the X646/3 and let us know... That's a lot of prop and should RIP, but you'll want to watch the temps... I think the motor will pull it without too much issue...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
    I've dug though a lot of posts and have to admit I'm still confused on props. Wondering what will get me the most bang for the buck running the stock electronics? Also wondering if I can get plastic versions or something cheaper then the $35-40 props most folks are talking about for testing purposes before I commit the $40 for a nice metal prop?
    Why not try a PB 1.9x3.0 composite. It has the same dia and pitch as the Prather S230. It's actually nice to play with cuz it's less than $10. You can file it down and sharpen it, and buy a new one if you mess up real bad.

42x55, good on leopard 2200kv. you will love it but you will need 4s2p. thats my setup

42x55 grim racer hands down for stock set up, balance and sharpen it!

Where do you guys order your props from? Lost my 42 x 55 today and would like to get a couple different oness already balanced and sharpened.

OSE main site or swap shop...
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

or Chuck, all though I shouldn't say that cus he's backed up and I'm waiting for props my self

So after playing with a few props for too long I suppose, I let some of the magic smoke out of my stock ESC, for some reason it will now only work with 1 4c attached but not 2x2c's in series or 2x4c in parallel? I ordered a new Sea King 180 & Eagle Tree system to attempt to avoid this issue again :)

With the upgrade to the ESC is the m445 the way to go or are there other suggestions?

Mine on 2x 4s (and 5s) with m445 leo 2000+ 180 esc

4s2p m445

and a video with some other props.
    Drammen rock City

Did you happen to record speeds, run time, & handling with the different props? Which did you like best?

Sorry no speed recording.. run time with 4s2p 4000 , about 5 min. the 445 on 5s (2s+3s 4000) about 3min + The m445 is good, should be in every MG owners tool box. The prathers are nice props, but seems to make it bounch more than others. I will try it again with the 4s lipos once I get the cracked hull fixed. I have a prather 230 to, but that one is large and I burned my stock motor on it. the 42x55 was like , nahh. But then again I did not give it much run time since the m445 was great.
    Drammen rock City

I'm still waiting on my Eagle Tree to see what my system is really doing but last night I tried a Prather 230 prop and the boat seemed really fast in a strait line but at the same time it appeared to loose a lot of speed in the turns. What characteristic is it that makes the boat turn better with one prop then another? What should I be looking for if I want to try and race the boat? The closest course to me is about 1.5hrs away so a lot of testing at that course is probably not going to happen, but I do have a nice pond about a mile from my house for testing.

I´m running the x642. I love it. Seems to run better than my 42-55. 4s2p setup. everything else stock.

Ørjan.

I to liked the prather 230, and it's in my toolbox S/B. I loved the sound it made. But my stock motor gave in after only a few minut's.I was to bring it in to have a look at the temps, only one more pass,and then dead still in the water.
    Since Darian said in the tread here he tried it on a stock setup , i thought i could test it on 5s with the the turnigy 180 esc. I was a fool to test in on 5s right away. I think I will try it on the leo and 4s, and if Darin reads here now maybe you could say if you just S/B it, ore did some altering to the pitch and size of the P230. Thanks.
    Drammen rock City

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock8 View Post
    I´m running the x642. I love it. Seems to run better than my 42-55. 4s2p setup. everything else stock.

Ørjan.
    Try the m445. I like that prop. But sadly I never got to test the 642 ore the other props I have now , on the stock motor.May I ask what lipos you have in the 4s2p? I tried the Zippy 45c 4000 4s

Drammen rock City

Okay, I use Turnigy 5000mah 45c-90. They are great! Get about 10 minutes of good runtime :D

Ørjan

nice, I only got 5+ with the zippy's. (first run, maybe they will loosen up ore I have to lower the cutoff)Mind posting a few pic's with the lipos in the hull ? hard to fit ?

here's mine

IMG_0082 (Medium).JPGIMG_0083 (Medium).JPGIMG_0084 (Medium).JPG
    Drammen rock City

It´s tight! But it fits. I moved the water outlet further back so it didn´t interfere with the battery placement. I can put both all the way into the sponson.

Ørjan.

Now go get a video with the nano's. I'm Ordering the same one's. Zippys are cheap but not that good. They ballance nice at charge, but after the run, they are a little off. I figured, but had to try for the price.
    Drammen rock City

Yeah, maybe going to run later today if the weather holds up.

Ørjan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast