Thread: Ekos quick questions

Default Ekos quick questions

Hey guys. Just got a new ekos, and have read through the threads here. Hoping that they have the bugs worked out with the switch to outrunners, etc.
    Anyways, i have 3 quick questions, hoping for help.
    1. On batteries, going to get lipos, 5k mah, likely 3s for starters. Question is whether there will be a noticeable difference going from 20c to say 35 or 45 c? Just faster accel, or longer run times, or??

2. Are the venom connectors ok for. 3s pack? Everything else i have has deans ultra, but most people here dont seem to like them, why?

3. Any prop recommendations? What is difference in characteristics between the 2 sizes venom offers? Others that are worth it or better than the venoms? If i go with the metal venoms, which size is the better fit for 3s setup?

Thanks in advance for all input!

Ron

Stock venom connectors are as good as deans. Will be ok for the little 380 outrunners. Deans plugs are ok for most stock RTR boats, but are inadequate for higher amp setups. Either will be fine with your stock components. 5000mah 20c packs will provide about 100amps per motor which is plenty of juice for the ekos. Batteries with a higher c-rating would be needed if you decide to upgrade the motors later. The only way you'd see a difference in speed/power is if the 20c batteries werent producing enough amps to power your motor/speed controls. But the 20-c's are more than enough since those little outrunners will probably only pull 60-80 amps max. I would run the 36mm venom machined props for 3s and the 32mm ones for 4s. Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrove View Post
    Hey guys. Just got a new ekos, and have read through the threads here. Hoping that they have the bugs worked out with the switch to outrunners, etc.
    Anyways, i have 3 quick questions, hoping for help.
    1. On batteries, going to get lipos, 5k mah, likely 3s for starters. Question is whether there will be a noticeable difference going from 20c to say 35 or 45 c? Just faster accel, or longer run times, or??

2. Are the venom connectors ok for. 3s pack? Everything else i have has deans ultra, but most people here dont seem to like them, why?

3. Any prop recommendations? What is difference in characteristics between the 2 sizes venom offers? Others that are worth it or better than the venoms? If i go with the metal venoms, which size is the better fit for 3s setup?

Thanks in advance for all input!

Ron
    Ron,
    1. I have an EKOS and I would go straight to 4s lipos. 3s is only moderately fast, you'll get bored with it quick. If you get 4s lipos later, you won't touch the 3s lipos again after you see the speed difference.
    2. I use traxxas connectors. I wouldn't use the Venom "universal connectors" that are interchangeable, they don't have good connection, I changed mine to straight traxxas plugs and had them cut off the "universal" plug.
    3. I use the 36mm props. Most of the more experienced guys on the site recommend 40mm props. I would stick with good old plastic carbon filled props. I haven't seen any noticeable difference with the aluminum props. I haven't tried the machined props, but I can assure you there won't be a difference worth $75 in props. The 40mm carbon filled will probable out do the expensive machined props...

40mm props on 4s is not a good idea with the stock motors. I run 380-xl's with 40mm props and 120 amp esc's and they get hot pretty quick. If you want to run 4s on the stock motors, I would definetly run the 32mm props. And the stock plastic ones will shed the blades quickly on 4s. I have both the 32 and 36mm red machined props and I like the 32mm on 4s. But I'm not running stock motors/esc's either.

Hey guys. THANKS for the replies. I went with 3s to start (25c, burst to 45 - hyperion g3) not ready to start cooking motors and escs yet. I also replaced the connectors with deans...once i loked more closely at the venom universals, you were right. Im not sure how they could get a really good connection, it looked like the adapters went built really well and would have small contact areas.
    Ill probably run stock props for a while and swap out later.....im anxious to run ekos vs my sv27.....
    Thanks again for all of the input!

My packs came with 5.5 bullets and 8AWG wire and rather than trying to get that size wire onto Deans I just put 5.5 bullet plugs on my ESC's. On stock everything with 36mm props, 3S 5000mah 45C packs I'm getting about 33mph. I haven't messed with stinger angle, COG, and I'm running 7.5 timing. I can still go up on timing, I'm watching my temps closely.
    Real men have shafts.

Wow, only 33? Thats umfortunate. Guess id hoped for more....still havent run mine...whenever im not travelling for work its cold and rainy...