Thread: 2200kv drop in?

Default 2200kv drop in?

Hello Im a car guy trying to get into the boat world. I have a castle 2200kv 1/8th scale motor just sitting around can that drop right into a ul-1. Does water jacket fit and or is there anything else i need to know? Should I expect performance gains or should i just leave well enough alone and stick with stock. thxs abunch

You can get a jacket for it here when they are in stock.

The CC/Neu 1515/2200kv motor is a decent choice. A bunch are using that motor with great success. You dont need a motor that big but if you got it already then why not. It will bolt right up to the stock motor mount. The stock UL-1 cooling can will not work on that motor. You would need to buy one from OSE or similar if you wanted a cooling jacket. But you dont really need one. Even using a big prop, like a 445 or even a 545 it wont over heat that motor for the size batteries you can stuff in the hull. So dont feel like you have to water cool it.

I run a Leopard 4074/2150 motor (close equivalent to the better CC/Neu 1515) on 4S with no heat issues. I only cool the esc just to not waste available cooling for my T180 esc.

What I would recommend is to add a tapered block glued down under the motor to the floor pan and wire tie or something similar. The thin stock motor mount does flex using the, longer, heavier, more powerfull motor and if you add a lower wedge block with a wire tie on the end of the motor the flex is greatly reduced. Dont know if that makes sense but it keeps the flex shaft from being pulled and pushed about while the stock mount bends.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Thxs John basically just get some support under the motor anyway i can. I know these motors are great i run the crap outta them in 3 of my trucks , 1 on 5cells, and never get temps breaking 125f.
    Rob

I once tried the 1515 1y 2200kv motor in my UL-1. I used the smaller m440 prop to keep boat under control. Using the m445 hull was wicked fast and loose (easy to flip). No motor support is needed. Hydra 120 did not last very long eather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What do u mean by hydro 120 not lasting? Im going to use the stock esc will that be fine? Do you think the 40 x 57 prop will work on this setup? Thxs Rob

Stock esc will not work (too many amps). If the 40x57 is sharpened and thinned it will work.

Really the stock esc wont do it huh. Well scratch this idea for now. That blows. What esc do u recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGnMan View Post
    Really the stock esc wont do it huh. Well scratch this idea for now. That blows. What esc do u recommend?
    Stock esc is def a no go on that. I hydro 120 is double the rating of the stock esc and detox smoked his. A swordfish 200 would work nicely.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

This might be a stuip question what about the mamba max esc that i bought in the combo with the motor. I could waterproof it and it is fan cooled or is that a no go. Its just I have one of those sitting around to. Is that idea a no go? and why if no.. please, thxs again everyone. BTW I have another thread goin with prop issues just trying to go a little faster and the prop isnt working out. Its my fault im sure ,dont know crap about boats but im trying to learn so I appreciate all and any help

Whats the amp rating on the Mamba ESC? A boat getting pushed through the water has allot more drag than a truck rolling on a level surface or even slightly up hill. Thus boats put much more load on a motor. Propped reasonably your motor is probably pulling in the area of 120 amps. Even more when accelerating or in a sharp turn. You'll need at least a 180 amp controller to be safe.

Mamba max is a 120 amp.

The Mamba Monster may work with that motor and 4s. The small m440 will work nicely:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_monster.html

I once used that esc with a nue 1515 .5y (1500kv) and 6s in my Phil Thomas SS21.

Detox i dont understand you burnt the hydra with same amp rating but you had no problems with mamba setup on 6cells. So will I be safe running on 4. For now I think im just goin to run the stock prop Im having issues with the 40/57 i bought was told thats not a good choice since that was the 1st prop i ever sharpened and balanced. Is the m440 something easier to work with? Can i even run the stock nylon prop safely? thxs abunch

You will break the blades off the stock prop , try one of these http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=grp-2317.45 cheep & they are balanced , here is a pic of my setup 1515 1y cc/neu & a 240 swordfish esc , runs cool & speeds in the high 50s , i have just cut up some pool noodle to wedge under the motor for the extra weight on the mount ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scoota; 05-14-2011 at 05:13 AM.
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

Sweet thxs scoota sure my kids will love me cutting their noodle all up. Maybe ill find a substitute lol.