Thread: electric conversion

Default electric conversion

I have an old Kyosho Jet Stream 1000 about 40" long and I dont know what the weight is but its a plastic hull deep vee boat. I want to put an electric motor in it so I dont have to deal with the nitro mess and tuning anymore. I am into electric planes also so I know a little about brushless motors and lipos but I think boats are a lot different, from what I read anyway.

Could someone help me with how to size a motor and speed control to fit this boat? Ive found a couple web sites that sell boat equipment but I am just more confused. I would like to get about 30-35 mph out of it like the nitro motor.

This is kind of what I have figured in my reasearch, I will need:
    80-100 esc??
    Dont know how to size motor???
    3000-4000 20c lipo??

Am I going in the right direction?
    Any help would be great.

Thanks
    J

you will need big $$ stuff for a 40" hull check out the build section for a boat that size
    good luck with it.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

KB 45 9XL motor (1400kv) water cool it
    4S1p 5000mah 25 -30C lipo
    120 amp 6S controller
    M545 prop
    80 amps
    30 -35 mph
    20,000 rpm
    3.75 minute full discharge
    Lipo 80% discharge is 3 minute run time

KB45 10XL (1200kv) water cool it
    6S1p 5000 mah 25-30C lipo
    120 amp 6S-7S controller
    X445 prop
    85 amps
    35-40 mph
    25000 rpm
    3.5 minute full discharge time
    Lipo 80% discharge is 2.8 minute run time
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 01-31-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

<4 minutes that sucks
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

<4 minutes that sucks
    Thats avarage for a fast boat. Lets not scare away the newb just yet . I know Kyosho hulls. This one is carries just a little more weight but is much more rigid than a Super Hawaii, which is about the same size. Reddy has the setup nailed as always. You can also run a set of 36mm 1800 to 2000kv L size motors. Two 100amp esc's on 4s-1p. 37 to 38mm props for around 70 to 80 amps. Run times around 5 minutes. My 2 cents anyway.

I never really timed myself but it seems like I run longer than 4 mins

I'll have to bring a stop watch next time I run.

I can probably run 5 to 8 munites but thats running the packs to deep and risking damage. I need the stop watch & do the math my self. I have been getting carried away latley.

OK with all of this said. I would like about 8-10 minutes run time. Is there a brushed setup that could do what im asking. Maybe a double brushed setup?

Reddy,
    I like the setup you gave me... but very pricey.....I would be better off with a new hull and electrics probably. Can you figure best brushed setup that you might know of. Maybe I could drop speed a little for a little more runtime???

Thanks so far you guys have given good ideas.

J

You can drop the 9xl to a 10 or 11 parallel a set of 4s 5000mah packs, srub off a few MPH and pick up or get very close to the run time you are looking for. It is a little pricy but large hulls always are. The advantage of being able to run in more water conditions is well worth it IMO.

This brushed setup can be run on 12 cells at 35 amps for 6 minutes on the 4s1p 5000mah It will run in the lower 20's in your 40 inch hull.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-700sc
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=hl-je600n

This is another brushless setup you can run on 12 cells at 35 amps for 6 minutes of run time on 4s1p lipos. Will probably run mid 20's.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...qug7000&cat=42
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prb3309&cat=75

Water cool motor and controller on both setups. The longer you run the hotter they will get.

*You can purchase a SV27 RTR boat and it will run with your nitro for a reasonable price.*
    It will have a 5-8 minute run time depending on which batteries you purchase.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=52
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 02-01-2008 at 01:30 PM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

After searching this site and others it looks like I can do this upgrade for about $120-130 dollars plus the cost of a battery.

Which motor is better? Aquacraft? Ferigo? Hextronic?

Also, This boat is a single prop, would it be better to run 2 motors through some sort of gearbox? on a single battery? or double battery? I havent seen any type of gearboxes on any of the site. What are my options there? Any info would be great.

Thanks for all the help.

J

Quote Originally Posted by wildjaych View Post
    After searching this site and others it looks like I can do this upgrade for about $120-130 dollars plus the cost of a battery.

Which motor is better? Aquacraft? Ferigo? Hextronic?

Also, This boat is a single prop, would it be better to run 2 motors through some sort of gearbox? on a single battery? or double battery? I havent seen any type of gearboxes on any of the site. What are my options there? Any info would be great.

Thanks for all the help.

J
    my bet be the feigao ,,, but it really depends how u gonna set it up at the end of the day , what kinda lipos and props???

There is not enough room in this hull to worry about 2 motors
    1 bigger motor and esc is better than 2 smaller motors and 2 esc's (and cheaper)