Thread: Water Pump for continuous cooling

Default Water Pump for continuous cooling

Today I've started to play with a little water pump found on ebay.
    The first impression is positive but I need to test it some more.
    The main problem is that this pump is not self aspirating and so the circuit must be primed but is sufficient to run the boat for a while and as soon as the air is replaced with water it keep on going.
    The first advantage is to cool the ESC and the Motor before to start, just let the pump run for a while and the temp inside the cooling system will be the same as the water temp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9T5PayVRR0
    Last edited by Bigbore; 05-05-2011 at 05:54 PM.

i wannt see it go. i just started building one yesterday. what motor?

oh yeah, and nice job on the pump =)

If the pump is in line with the rest of the cooling, wouldn't it hinder the flow of water once the boat gets going? Surely the water would be moving faster than what the pump runs with the boat sitting still in the water.

I am not usually one to be the bearer of bad news, but if your system needs that much cooling then maybe it is time you looked at the whole setup.
    Just a thought
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

This topic goes usually under the heading of "fun to play with". I messed around with this for awhile once to and got mixed results, but it was still fun to try. If you search around you will find some great threads on this with a LOT of research done.
    The one issue we have in the south is the water temps can get well into the mid 90's during summer in a pond. The East coast guys have that nice cool water to run throught their boats.

If a hose comes loose your gonna have a flood chamber!

Get you a nitro gas tank and make it a closed loop system. Drop a little ice in it and some cold cooler water. This is good for hot summer days. Put clamps on the hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    If the pump is in line with the rest of the cooling, wouldn't it hinder the flow of water once the boat gets going? Surely the water would be moving faster than what the pump runs with the boat sitting still in the water.
    This pump is inline with the cooling but do not lower the flow rate when
    the boat is running at top speed. I guess it depends on the workings
    of this pump.
    However the fact that this pump do not suck water is a limit. Once
    primed it keeps on going but I noticed that sometime some air enter in
    the cooling pipes and the pump stops working, I guess the boat jumping
    at top speed causes the air to enter in the pipes.

I'm gonna try this other little pump cause it seems it sucks water:
    http://www.lightobject.com/3LMin-min...-HHO-P122.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Get you a nitro gas tank and make it a closed loop system. Drop a little ice in it and some cold cooler water. This is good for hot summer days. Put clamps on the hoses.
    What's the advantage of a closed loop vs a open loop. Does it last longer before the ice melts?
    Any advice for a water pump?
    Last edited by Bigbore; 05-09-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Gruapner makes a nice small pump. Closed loop means no drag from inlets on bottoms or rudders and you just add ice water and some ice or chunks to keep it cold. You can search this site as questtech did some good tests with it.

I may run them on my bigger set up for my twins. Plus it is cooling all the time...even before running or in the water and then pull it out of the water and still cooling.

This was my attempt at a closed loop cooling system it runs a small 6v fountain pump that connects to a small radiator that is built into the belly pan of the the boat. So far the system has worked perfectly. I have had more issues related to my switch over to a spektrum system than this pump set up has caused.
    Attached Images Attached Images

well i'm pulling off the Lazarus effect here. (just way too many threads to start and trust me i try not to start new threads if i do not have to) any ways i like to bring back fond memories.
    i purchased only two for my slower boats a Tug and a Cruiser.
    i converted the Atlantic Tug to a brush-less for a rescue boat and added water pickups where i thought they would perform best not even a dribble. i programmed it so it does not go any faster than it should but be able to get to a rescue in a timely fashion. The stock brushed system was Way too slow. so i figured this may help with the cooling. and a special Thanx to Bigbore.
    These are on Ebay you can buy bulk on Banggood they have aluminum ones but it's a bit pricey and had no specs. 28mmx73mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stillwet; 08-14-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: i'm a idiot, i mean editor