Thread: **** insane build **** fe -30

Default **** Insane Build **** FE -30

Started building my new Fe -30. First steps were to the cowl. Addressing some issues about fit, I fit some blocks that run along the cowl lip. These are small 1/4 " blocks, that prevent the cowl from spreading, a slight pinch to the cowl when closing, keeps thing tight up in the front. Might try some small rare earth magnets on the rear, to keep things in place for taping. Will post those picture later.

I will keep this post in picture sections, and update as often as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by INSANEBUILDER; 05-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM

Next steps, were to install the motor, servo bracket, and hardware. Marking the center of the hull, at 3 1/2" , also marking the transom for the center of the harware. I chose to mount the "mounts" on thin ply, to help stiffen the bottom up. The motor mount and servo mount are attached with 6/32 buttonhead cap screws the nyloc nuts. I mounted the motor this way to allow for changes to the motor (P-Sport, P-Spec), and ease in servo replacment if neccesary. Also, allowing for adjustments to the brackets for any alignment issues.

Centerline of hull = 3 1/2"
    Transom to motor mount = 12 5/8" (approx). Be sure the cowl clears motor, wires, cooling lines, etc... Move forward if neccesary.
    Centerline of hardware at transom = 3 1/2"
    Strut height = 7/8" neutral
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM

Default Hardware

Harware install.
    Last edited by INSANEBUILDER; 05-04-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM

Stuffing Tube and Motor next. New rudder installed 1/8" wider, servo rods, some water lines. Pretty self explanitory.
    Ok, Im up to date. No this wasn't all in one sitting. I will post more daily, tomorrow (I hope) Prepare for some battery tie downs, radio box tray, more water lines. Still waiting on my ESC, should be soon.
    Last edited by INSANEBUILDER; 05-03-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM

Sweet!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

good job! looks very clean, I'll follow this, I want to see it run!

Nice job. What was the deal with the broken rudder? Is the wider replacement a Insane unit??

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Nice job. What was the deal with the broken rudder? Is the wider replacement a Insane unit??
    We were waiting for our new order of hardware to arrive, so I used a customer's crashed hardware (run over) as a drill template. Yes the new rudder, and all the hardware is "Insane".
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM

I hope you'll paint the bottom of the boat white or yellow! If you flip it in a race and somebody hits you, don't blame them! That blue color will disappear!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

That all depends on the water color

Regardless of the water color, all dark colors disappear to the eye....unless you're on bright yellow water and then I'd be afraid of a totally different problem or radiation exposure! ;-)
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

ESC and Batteries have arrived, motor in place, stuffing tube, check, floatation in. Ready to test (I think).
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM

Looking good! Did you consider shortening the amount of wire between the motor and esc? I usually do when running that combo, The Neu/CC motors have very long leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Looking good! Did you consider shortening the amount of wire between the motor and esc? I usually do when running that combo, The Neu/CC motors have very long leads.
    I did consider, and will end up shortening them, once I figure out the correct lenght. The consideration is that , I will compete with this boat. I can run the Nue/Castle in the Fe open class, but need the switch to the UL-1 motor, to run in the P-Spec Class. And the UL-1 motor wires are very, very short. I will post other pictures with the UL-1 motor installed later.
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM

Hi Steve,

where did you get the radio box tray from? it way more efficient to keep water away compared to balloons.

Nice bulid by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by battlefury View Post
    Hi Steve,

where did you get the radio box tray from? it way more efficient to keep water away compared to balloons.

Nice bulid by the way!
    It's the lid from a airtronics or futaba servo box.. The one they come in when there new. The other half is even taller.
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM

I'm using a Futaba receiver lid...LOL!

Good idea on the lid!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Good idea on the lid!
    The lid idea, really belongs to Tony / ProperChopper. I saw it on one of his builds. Thanks Tony
    STEVE-O
    WWW.INSANEBOATS.COM