Thread: Mean Machine maiden voyage vid!

Default Mean Machine maiden voyage vid!

I just ran my 24 cell Mean Machine today, went pretty well except for the aerobatics at the end. Ran 1.26/1 gears, 24 IB3600 cells(thanks Battlepack!) and a 1.4x40 carbon prop. I'm guessing mid-forties, will gps next weekend. Had to move the cg forward after the first run. After that turning was alot better. Was dealing with 30mph wind gusts today, maybe with less wind it won't try to blow over. All in all I'm pleased. The motor was only at 103 degrees after the first run and the esc only at 95. I think it will go much faster! Thanks to Offshore and all that helped me with this build on the old forum last year! Here's the vid!http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/show...00&ppuser=3129

Cool

That video looks awesome! It does appear that you are flying the bow a bit high for windy conditions - this can be reduced by moving the CG forward and lowering the strut a bit.

You will see a lot more speed by changing to a metal prop. That is a lot of power to push through a little plastic prop, it is deforming considerably. Going to an x640 or x642 will really wake the boat up, but watch the heat; you may want to play with the gear ratio to get it finely dialed in. I find it more important to check cell temperature than motor or ESC temps - the cells will usually be hotter when you are near the "edge".

But regardless, the boat really looks great. :)

Thanks for the compliments Fluid, I do appreciate it. I think my girlfriend needs a little practice operating the camcorder though,lol! I did check the battery temps too, only at 109 degrees. I did notice when I got home that the epoxy I used to hold the trans down broke loose from the carbon fiber inside the hull. Is there a better product for that?, or is that always going to be a possibility with a violent flip? And I will take your advice regarding the prop, I'll make sure to post more results!

Devcon has not failed me yet.

Where would I find the Devcon, I'll sure give it a try!

Cool

You might find Devcon at your LHS, sometimes I see it at home stores. Some hobby distributors used to have the Devcon put the epoxy in their own branded bottles, but I am not certain if this is still true. I get Devcon gel at some ACE hardware stores. I used that to glue the motor mount into my 12-cell SAW cat - blew that boat over numerous times between 70 and 80 mph and the glue held. http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?catID=20

But regardless of the glue, you need to clean off the interior surface of the hull as some resins will give off a waxy deposit as they cure, and this will prevent the epoxy from getting a good bond. I use soap and water and acetone to remove the film. Lightly sanding the cleaned surface with 100 grit paper might help too.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with flying the hull as you did in the video, that is the way to go the fastest. But it does increase the risk of blowing over, and sometimes the turning is not as good when flying. Looks too cool though..... :)

Last edited by Fluid; 04-22-2007 at 09:39 PM.

RZ if you can't find it I will hook you up. Its 16 bucks for the 2ton stuff. You can paypal me and I'll get it right out to ya. It cures completely clear keeps things looking clean and neet.
    Last edited by SJFE; 04-22-2007 at 09:37 PM.

nice work loved watchin the vid but some annoying buzzing started to occur...... nitros ha.... nice work man nice work
    60% of the time... it works every time!

Thanks again for all the positive comments guys, SJ- I'll look around tomorrow for the Devcon locally. If I can't find it I'll take you up on the offer to send me some. I will also try cleaning the surface before gluing the trans back down. I'm also going to order a couple more props for next weekend, should I be going with the 1.6 copper props or should I stick with the 1.4 pitch? I don't know if one is better for my setup. man I'm havin fun, I can't wait!
    I still consider myself pretty new at this, so I greatly appreciate the tips and advice offered by everyone.
    Last edited by RMZDADDY; 04-22-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Nice Meanie! I have to agree with fluid. Your setup looks pretty good. It's just a bit loose for windy conditions. Cool blow off though!!
    New Orleans Area Fast Electrics

Cool

should I be going with the 1.6 copper props or should I stick with the 1.4 pitch? I don't know if one is better for my setup.
    An x640 has the same diameter as an x440, but more pitch. It will load the motor close to what the x440 did, so the result is usually more speed. But with your transmisison you can change the rpm to suit the prop. I'd run the x640 and change the ratio if it seems to be running hot or cold.

The x640 also has a little more lift than an x440 (neither has very much) and can help in keeping the bow down a bit.

I'll get an X640 ordered today, thanks for the info. I did pick up some 2 ton devcon today and some acetone also. I look forward to hitting the water this weekend. I already have an X642 so I'll get that prop finished this week. I'll have more results as well as gps readings and video. Thanks again!