Thread: Mobile forum

Default Mobile forum

This morning I'm sitting in a boring class surfing in my droid when I got to thinking. Steve you should develop an android and apple app that runs the forum on our mobile devices. I know I'd like to not have to launch my web browser to check the forum.

Just a thought.

there is a new update to the vb forum that has just this. I'm waiting on it for a total site makeover. The products site is going to be wider to allow use of the higher screen resolutions. Along with that will come version of of the vb forum and mobile interface. It will take place in July sometime.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    there is a new update to the vb forum that has just this. I'm waiting on it for a total site makeover. The products site is going to be wider to allow use of the higher screen resolutions. Along with that will come version of of the vb forum and mobile interface. It will take place in July sometime.

My droid will be very pleased with this....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Mine too!!!

i get this site on my iphone all ready...what am i missing?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    i get this site on my iphone all ready...what am i missing?
    There is an actual app available for an individual forum. So OSE would have an app available in the iphone store. But they made is seem much easier than it really is. And now I'm having second thoughts. For starters I would need a mac pc to get the thing started. I'm really not ready of that.
    Steven Vaccaro

DROID app would be cool. I'm on my DroidX now,but an app would make it easier.

To make it easier rather than developing an app what about a mobile version of the Forum?
    If there isn't one already.

Jim
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I think that's what were going to get this summer, Steve said in post 2 that the update will include a mobile interface. So, that's good!

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    To make it easier rather than developing an app what about a mobile version of the Forum?
    If there isn't one already.

Jim
    The vb mobile forum modification has you think its rather easy. But it takes much more than advertised. On checkout of that option they sneak this in,

" I acknowledge that in order to have my mobile applications public on the iTunes store and Android marketplace an iOS developer account*, Android developer account* and access to an Apple computer running Snow Leopard or newer is required.
    *To join these programs, an application fee may be required to be paid to Apple and Google respectively."
    Steven Vaccaro

No need to re-invent the wheel...

You can install one of two things (or both) to make the site much more mobile friendly, and integrate nicely with vBulletin.

One is called tapatalk, and has apps for many mobile platforms: http://www.tapatalk.com/

Another is called BerryBlab, but is BB specific: http://www.berryblab.com/

There are also mobile friendly themes that can be installed (and user selected), but tapatalk is probably your best overall bet.

On a kind of related note, I'm a developer by day (and some nights) and would gladly help out with this if desired.

I bought tapatalk since you recommended it, I've heard of it before but I cannot find OSE on it.....

Steven will have to install the plugin for it before it will work.

Ahhh, yes I was looking at their webpage and it says its free to put your forum into their system. I bet OSE could be a top forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    No need to re-invent the wheel...

You can install one of two things (or both) to make the site much more mobile friendly, and integrate nicely with vBulletin.

One is called tapatalk, and has apps for many mobile platforms: http://www.tapatalk.com/

Another is called BerryBlab, but is BB specific: http://www.berryblab.com/

There are also mobile friendly themes that can be installed (and user selected), but tapatalk is probably your best overall bet.

On a kind of related note, I'm a developer by day (and some nights) and would gladly help out with this if desired.
    Does Tapatalk work with OSE? It's a pay app and has very negative reviews. Many claim it just will not work with most forums. I don't mind paying for it if it will work here.

It only works if the forum owner installs the plugin. If the complaints are about it not working people should have read the notes closer first.

I have it and it works great, but I didn't pay for it (Jailbroken).

If Steven wants to install it and needs help I can definitely help out, and it's 100% free for forum owners to install it.

I've seen very few negative reviews, only what wparsons said. I am using it for the traxxas forums, RCgroups.com, reefcentral.com and a couple others. It's actually quite smooth, I just hope OSE gets on it too soon. Then it'd be even better!

rcgroups.com has it installed, as does vwvortex.com.

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    I've seen very few negative reviews, only what wparsons said. I am using it for the traxxas forums, RCgroups.com, reefcentral.com and a couple others. It's actually quite smooth, I just hope OSE gets on it too soon. Then it'd be even better!
    I was just going by the majority of the reviews on the Android Market that is where I saw all the negative reports. I'm glad to hear that people that have similar interest to myself find it a useful app. If Steve adds this forum to the list I will buy the app. because of the remarks seen here.

I just bought tapatalk also seems pretty cool, Steve if you could add ose to it or whatever needs to be done that would amazing. Its actually a pretty cool app. I been screwing around with rcg on it
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Yeah I have been too. If this version of the forum isn't compatible perhaps the new one will be and even though it has a mobile interface tapatalk is definitely smoother.

Once we switch to the new version I will also add tapatalk. My it persons been on a work trip, and I'm going to the nats next week. So it's going to be about another three weeks.
    Steven Vaccaro

Because I am not computer savvy. I get OSE on my iPhone. So none of this would affect me? Thanks
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

If you need any help getting this all setup , hit me up. I know the backside to the vbulletin quite well, if your web guy was good it would be done already. These arent difficult tasks, But that's just me.

Because I am not computer savvy. I get OSE on my iPhone. So none of this would affect me? Thanks
    It's the same on most smartphones Ron.... On androids get the full version of the website also. Tapatalk just condenses everything and it's just really easy to move around on while using a cell phone. Everything is quickly and easily accessible. I get the full version of rcgroups as well, but now that I have that app, I won't use the mobile browser version anymore.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Just downloaded tapatalk works great

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    1/10th scale miss dewalt, ul-1 insane fe-30, ul-1 jae 21 rigger, ul-1 powered lynx, UL-1 powerd delta force 26,
    ul-1 sprint cat 21

Its not needed because you can surf from the safari browser, but tapatalk reformats the forum nfo so it fits on the iphone better.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by twofford71 View Post
    Just downloaded tapatalk works great

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    Glad its working!
    Steven Vaccaro

It's MUCH easier to browse using tapatalk since it's an app that formats the forum for the smaller screen.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak.