Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Spray Paint for Fiberglass

Default Best Spray Paint for Fiberglass

Curious on what you guys like for rattle canning a FG boat?

I have used the Testors Lacquar before and I really like how it looks, but I have read would have to agree maybe lacquar isn't the best. It peeled on me a little around the tape area even though I made sure I did a very good prep job especially in that area. The finsh was amazing though.

Has anyone every used the Kyrlon Fusion on FG even though it's for plastics? I like there color choices. Just curious on what you guys have used. I read the painting tip section, but didn't answer my questions. I want to try something different the lacquar, Thanks in advance...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

ive used it dale and didnt like how the stuff held on, i dont recommend it but im sure someone else may, didnt work well on plastic as they claimed, best thing i have ever used to make paint stick better to plastics has been bulldog, its a prep paint that bonds well to plastics and then go after it ...used it on a grill on my truck and 5 months later....no bug chips or chips....period

Quote Originally Posted by dano1 View Post
    ive used it dale and didnt like how the stuff held on, i dont recommend it but im sure someone else may, didnt work well on plastic as they claimed, best thing i have ever used to make paint stick better to plastics has been bulldog, its a prep paint that bonds well to plastics and then go after it ...used it on a grill on my truck and 5 months later....no bug chips or chips....period
    Great info Dano...

Your spray of choice for FG kind sir?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default krylon fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Curious on what you guys like for rattle canning a FG boat?

I have used the Testors Lacquar before and I really like how it looks, but I have read would have to agree maybe lacquar isn't the best. It peeled on me a little around the tape area even though I made sure I did a very good prep job especially in that area. The finsh was amazing though.

Has anyone every used the Kyrlon Fusion on FG even though it's for plastics? I like there color choices. Just curious on what you guys have used. I read the painting tip section, but didn't answer my questions. I want to try something different the lacquar, Thanks in advance...
    krylon fusion is what i used on my yellow sv..you saw the outcome...sh**...definitely going to make a project of repainting it.

Regular Krylon primer and paint bonds verywell without peeling caused by removing hatch tape.

I second using bulldog then some krylon

Quote Originally Posted by mdunham View Post
    krylon fusion is what i used on my yellow sv..you saw the outcome...sh**...definitely going to make a project of repainting it.
    Wizard used the Fusion on his pickle and it came out really nice... Maybe it depends on the color and surface not sure....

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Regular Krylon primer and paint bonds verywell without peeling caused by removing hatch tape.
    The multi-purpose stuff?http://www.krylon.com/products/categories/multipurpose/

or the outdoor stuff?
    http://www.krylon.com/products/categ...utdoor_spaces/

I like the metallic look, would this be OK: http://www.krylon.com/products/outdo...tallic_finish/
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Thats it. Colors are limited, but bonds verywell. I used the White Krylon primer before top coating with regular Krylon. Some people use the Krylon fusion paint over abs plastic hulls such as the Vacu Pickle.

Follow instructions on can for best results and be sure to use same brand of primer.
    http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_paint/

Good info about the bulldog! No primer?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Great information everyone, thanks alot.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

bulldog is a adheasive clearcoat, stinks like hell so use very very lite coats with good ventalation, runs like mad!!!! i spray directly over the stuff with the final coat of paint and used krylon, came out sweet, if i build a boat from a bare hull one of these days it will automotive finish like sikkins

Just putting the finishing touches on two sv27's. I used the Krylong Fusion based on a number of threads I'd read. I don't think I will use it again though. It didn't seem to like the application of the second and third coat. There were areas on the hull where the paint wrinkled in areas when I was spraying. I was freakish about taking my time with the prep stage. . . followed instructions on the cans right to a "tee". Had to sand those areas down and start over. ------ Was not impressed!!!!! The same thing happened with the clear coat. I finished the projects but I would use a different product next time around.

Testors has enamel and Lacquer. The clears seem to be lacquer.

I also like Rustoleum. The colors are rather dark though.

DONT try the fluorescent colors. Those colors are junk... Had a terrible experience.

I dont like Krylon. Seems to heavy and takes like a week for each coat to dry "fully".

I never tried the Krylon clear coat, but the regular Krylon dries fast. Verygood results for me.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    I never tried the Krylon clear coat, but the regular Krylon dries fast. Verygood results for me.

im scared of clear coats out of cans, if its white paint job....go for it, my past has been milky film, ruined a perfect paint job, i did a mini bike once and many people thought i used automotive paint, it was that nice, blood red

oh, another trick i do is blow dry it, seems to make the gloss pop more, something the wife should master....ha ha

Yep, I don't know whether my issues with the paint wrinkling had to do with drying time. The manufacturer suggests applying the second coat before 24 hours or after 7 days. Tried both and it didn't seem to matter.

As far as the clear coat is concerned, I just used a lacquer because I couldn't find a Krylon clear coat and the associate in the store assured me that the lacquer was compatible with the Krylon Fusion.

LOL, I used my wife's blow dryer to help the process along in the garage. She graciously pointed out that evening that the air filter in the dryer was thae same coulour as the boats I was painting. . .

Krlyon vs RustOleum... is the rustoleum lacquar?

I did a search on rustoleum.com and this was suggested for FG http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=181
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Hmmm. . . . .Checked the MSDS sheets for both products and they seem to have very similar ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmaclean View Post
    LOL, I used my wife's blow dryer to help the process along in the garage. She graciously pointed out that evening that the air filter in the dryer was thae same coulour as the boats I was painting. . .
    lmaoooo...yeah, i have a dryer just for that stuff

Looking at the testors enamels now. They seem to have a very nice wide color selection.

http://www.testors.com/category/135895/Testors_Enamels
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I've been using duplicolor color mach car paint, they've got this new clear with metalic flakes adds a neet metallic effect, sorry spelling is horrible
    I'm married with children, you can't scare me!

Krylon Fusion is by far my favorite paint for fiberglass IF you follow it up with this stuff http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G18211

I know it's a little expensive but it buffs the paint to a mirror finish that far exceeds any other finish, even clear coat, that I've used or paid for. Chris (H2OCamel) taught me this little trick and it works great! AND you don't need a clear coat.

Choosing the right primer for fiberglass hulls is very important. 2 part 2K epoxy primers like this work the best for almost all paint. LINK

I've used enamel, lacquer, and krylon on this type of primer with good success.

I now use this same primer and have an autobody shop shoot the color and clear for me. It has worked great for that application too.

I've found that the Duplicolor rattle cans work well for me. Fusion Yellow is an exact match for Aeromarine yellow and luckily Fusion Blue exactly matched the blue of my old H&M Drifter. Since most of my boats will get raced, lots of battle scars show up and touch-up is easy with spray paint. Small chips get filled in by spraying into the cap & dabbing with the end of a paper match or cue-tip.

I really like the Fusion Metal Specs paint; it really covers up imperfect repairs. I use Fusion primer ( the color of the primer will affect the darkness of the color coat; it comes in white, red, grey, black, and hotrod dark black.)

Spray Metal Specs paint really dry for the most sparkle, and I've found that the DupliColor clear Enamel, rather than their clear laquer, covers better with fewer coats, looks deeper, and cures really hard to keep from peeling from tape. Just avoid spraying Laquer over Enamel, the reverse is OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by rc2266 View Post
    I've been using duplicolor color mach car paint, they've got this new clear with metalic flakes adds a neet metallic effect, sorry spelling is horrible
    I've used the sparkle clear, really adds some interesting effects - one light coat does it; too much and it dulls down.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I'll try and get some pics of effect when I get off work and post them.
    I'm married with children, you can't scare me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast