Thread: FlySky FS-GT3B Battery Saver Mod

Default FlySky FS-GT3B Battery Saver Mod

I really like this radio, especially for the $$. The only fault I've found is that once the LCD screen auto-dims ( about 10 seconds after an input) it's mostly impossible to tell whether it's ON or OFF. As a result, since I'm easily distracted , I've set it down and left it on long enough to dump all eight of the AA batteries. I've done this several times, so, since I'm used to glancing at my Futaba and Tactic radios to see the screen or LED indicating that they're still on, I modded the FlySky to also provide a highly visible indication of it's state.

Big red switch and flashing RED LED ( 3.0 V, 35 mA, with the supply voltage stepped down by a 330 ohm resistor, and now I hope I'll remember to turn the darn thing off. Also put in a lipo Tx pack and a connector on it and also the original battery tray should I need to pop it back in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUfxgIZxsA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by properchopper; 04-19-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

very good thinking

nice feature there

Nice, that's one of my pet peeves with this radio, the back light turning off to quick, and leaving it on and wasting battery's. For a 35 buck radio, we ended up programing these so the back light would stay on longer. I am much happier with the radio now that were able to program them, all the issues have been able to be fixed. The best thing i ever did to this radio was replace all the small self tapping screws that hold it together, with some M3 aluminum screws I had laying around. The wheel extension feels so much sturdier and solid thenn before, just gotta make sure they are not to long as they will hit the trim buttons.

Hi the radio has alot of problems I will name a few
    The expo function only works to one side.
    also when you switch models you need to actually shut off the radio after you sellect the model you want to run and then turn it back on or the original settings you set for the model you wish to use will not be correct.... only when you do what i said then for some reasion all your original setting then get loaded to the model.

Also you could have cut the leds negitive post and ran it to the negitive at the top of the board what this does is make the LED stay lit all the time when the power switch is on.

One more thing be carful running 3s lipo guy's reported burnt out parts I for one know the regulator in the flysky modual runs hot with normal NIMH batteries... be carful some said adding a diod in line with the radios positive wire will drop voltage by half a volt so you may need to put 2 or so daisy chained together.

Also you can use the flysky modual in Ko propo radios with only soldering 1 12K resistor and the 3 wires with a plug to slide on the radio pins... I did this and it works awesome I have a top quality radio with the good flysky 2.4 RX's that are only $7.50!! Don't get better than that!
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

SweatZ28 I think you may be Reptile on rctech I think, I love the KO conversions, I'm so kicking my own behind on selling my 2 Mars R a couple of years ago. after some 15 bucks in a programmer, the radio has turned out to be okay and all of the bugs have been fixed, its still a cheap disposable radio with 7 dollar receivers and will always be,

real screws M3 to replace all the tiny self tappers

Yep that's me!!
    I think the flysky is ok but for a little more $ you can get a mars and it's much well worth it for how much more features you have and quality.

One thing i hated on the flysky is i used it on two boat runs at the pond with 3 boats each time i went to the pond and one time for a trek in the mountains running my scale 4x4 and after this the steering wheel now wobbles a bit and that's after i took it all apart and lubed it when new with tamiya plastic safe grease.
    I don't know it's not just worth it to me guess if you know alot about radios and how they work and what you can do with them the KO mars for the little extra it's the way to go for a well experianced person i guess.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Yeah the Ko converted radio's are nice, when i can find a nice R to convert it will definitely be on my list of things to do. What was the part number you used for the modual again as if i remember in one of your threads you had it listed. As I should order one up just in case. I'm just glad the receivers are are back in stock again.

I have one of these. I haven't used it yet because of the issues mentioned above. I may use it in a vintage RC-10 rather than one of my boats. What is this about a "programmer"?

Quote Originally Posted by turbobuick6 View Post
    Yeah the Ko converted radio's are nice, when i can find a nice R to convert it will definitely be on my list of things to do. What was the part number you used for the modual again as if i remember in one of your threads you had it listed. As I should order one up just in case. I'm just glad the receivers are are back in stock again.
    Hi here it is on E-bay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FS-TM002-FlySky-...item35b07b6408
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZ28 View Post
    Thanks, it appears no one in the states has it, so good thing I'm not in a hurry for it, it will be nice once I find the perfect R to put it in. I wonder if the module would work in an old Futaba PCM 1024 FP3PB That would be the ultimate vintage setup.

Quote Originally Posted by turbobuick6 View Post
    Thanks, it appears no one in the states has it, so good thing I'm not in a hurry for it, it will be nice once I find the perfect R to put it in. I wonder if the module would work in an old Futaba PCM 1024 FP3PB That would be the ultimate vintage setup.
    I think it would you would need to know what pins on the radio are the + and - and the signal.... but you may have to add a resistor for it to work also.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM