Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motley crue or Proboat m.g

I know thread is old but has anyone now compared the MC to the Mystic looking to get one of them but can't decide or find up to date ratings.

They're both good boats. I raced a Geico all summer. Love the way it handles but I still can't say that either is head and shoulders better than the other. Speeds are very similar. You could look at the laps in our club but there are lot of factors that effect the totals on the season. Water, wind, attrition, etc. I have to give the Geico and Mystic get my vote.....today. I haven't personally spent any time working on a Motley.

Thanks for the info all you keep hearing are complaints about the MC as far as finish and shaft.i have 2 SV's but have not had a pro boat yet.Have to wait for the ponds to thaw so still have some time to decide .

It's a price point thing on both of these. You kinda have to accept them for what they are. They're both reasonably priced entry level offerings that can get you on the water having fun quickly. Glass might not be perfect. AlignmentYep, have to fiddle with them if you want a little extra out of them.

Both those boats have attributes I like. The MC has a tub inside the boat that makes it easy to seal and keep clean. The Geico/Mystic both have a framework installed that keeps it rigid. Geico slides through the turns once you get the strut and CG close to where it needs to be. Realtively predictable too. It's that sliding turn that makes me lean towards the ProBoat. I think that the MC is capable of higher speeds in the straights than the Geico but I have no evidence. Just my hunch from watching them.

Oh, also. The glass issues aren't exclusive to Aquacraft either. The seem where the top meets the bottom mold on a Geico is a weak point. As is the canopy itself. Normal use it's fine but if you crash all bets are off.

Again, price point. There's only so much either company can do before they price themselves out of buyers. I think most of the boats are fine. Then some slip through the manufacturing processes. Thanks to the internet you would think that every boat out of molds was crap. Few people start a thread saying "I've had zero problems. My equipment works exactly as described".

I do know this. There are reps from both companies that will put forth the extra effort to make sure you're satisfied. Within reason of course.

You're right nothing is perfect. I guess thats why the call it a hobby.It would take the fun and frustration out of going to the pond with out having to make some adjustments and have everything work 100%.Well maybe the boys down south that can still run will run them both and compare notes.Like you said both seem to be good boats for the money.

The "new" version if the MC will be available soon according to a post I read from GrimRacer, they are supposed to have fixed the durability issues with the new one.
    I would check out the new version for sure, I like the way mine runs but it has gotten pretty beat up from normal use, my SV is much older and has been used much harder but looks way better. If it came down to the old version VS a Mystic I think I would get the Mystic, I think it's a bit nicer shaped boat, better graphics IMO as well.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I know it's no excuse for any build issues but the way cats re-enter the water when they flip or crash always seems more traumatic to me. The monos flip and maybe bounce on the deck before they come to a stop. Seems like every time a crash a cat it's disaster. Either there's a new crack or it's a yard sale? That's when you open the hatch and nothing is where it's used to be. Motor mount is broken free and the cells are smooshed up in the nose. I hate when that happens.

My last quality crash with my Geico broke the transom off the boat. O. F. F. OFF. Not the boats fault BTW. So I'm currently catless for the 2012 season. Blasphemy.

I'm currently building a H&M Drifter S for spec power, quite the difference in the hulls, also quite the difference in price. Hope the drifter handles ok, have a number of spec motors from 1500kv to 2030 so I can figure out what it likes best.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

My last quality crash with my Geico broke the transom off the boat. O. F. F. OFF. Not the boats fault BTW. So I'm currently catless for the 2012 season. Blasphemy.
    I had one of those.Don't know how bad it was but here's my fix.https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...19-Transom-fix

Mine happened on race day so I fixed it on the fly with a LOT of CA. Raced the next heat. That broken trans cost me first place for the season. Bummer. The boat was so solid early in the season too.

Still debating fixing the hull. There are a couple new options I've been considering for LSO. Nothing confirmed though. Maybe I just fix the Geico and run that until the other ideas become available.

This is the first I've seen of these transoms breaking... Is this something that happens under serious incident, or is it just happening??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Darin, I appreciate you chiming in. My break was my fault. I mounted a rudder bracket to the part of the trans that isn't backed with wood. It finally broke off when I hit a fish or something. No way to account for that kind of nonsense. haha You guys warrant that kind of damage right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12