Thread: Newbie to FE's and starting with the blackjack

Default Newbie to FE's and starting with the blackjack

Hey guys, today I ordered my first FE, the blackjack 26bl. I was wondering what you guys would segest for me to do before the first run. Also what about running in salt water, who does it and what do I need to do to keep stuff from corroding and seizing up? Eventually I plan on getting the fullers hardware, doing the fin angle mod, a new prop, and getting some lipos (they scear me so I have alot of research to do) what lipos do you guys recommend? Also is it worth it to put in a hi torque servo like the hitec 645? This boat will be run in many different conditions so stability will be a must, would moving the battery's foward help with this? Thanks,

Arioch

Quote Originally Posted by Seacraftarioch View Post
    Hey guys, today I ordered my first FE, the blackjack 26bl. I was wondering what you guys would segest for me to do before the first run. Also what about running in salt water, who does it and what do I need to do to keep stuff from corroding and seizing up? Eventually I plan on getting the fullers hardware, doing the fin angle mod, a new prop, and getting some lipos (they scear me so I have alot of research to do) what lipos do you guys recommend? Also is it worth it to put in a hi torque servo like the hitec 645? This boat will be run in many different conditions so stability will be a must, would moving the battery's foward help with this? Thanks,

Arioch
    First off,if stability is an issue,read the "FIXING THE BLACKJACK HANDLING ISSUES" post and follow his suggestions. At the very least,baloon the receiver,pull and grease the flexcable, lower the esc and batteries and shorten/angle the turn fins. Makes a world of difference. And for sure tape down the canopy before you hit the water. You'll soon find that the stock outdrive is OK on the straights, but murder in the turns,so slow it down and make wide turns or the boat will hook and likely flip. Can't comment on the salt water issue (no such thing in Michigan) but I'd hold off on the hi torque servo until you swap out the drive hardware. You're going to like this boat - it's a good platform to work with and responds well to mods.

My bj didnt come with an outdrive, looks like proboat has upgraded and gone with a strut and offset rudder in the 2.4g version. Ive read that thread and took off the turn fins and that helped alot. When i grease the flex shaft ill put some fuel tubing on the stuffing tube and flex shaft. Soon will be lipos

Quote Originally Posted by Seacraftarioch View Post
    My bj didnt come with an outdrive, looks like proboat has upgraded and gone with a strut and offset rudder in the 2.4g version. Ive read that thread and took off the turn fins and that helped alot. When i grease the flex shaft ill put some fuel tubing on the stuffing tube and flex shaft. Soon will be lipos
    Thats a wonderful thing to hear about the drive. Got any pics? Lipos

it looks sweet and for the same price as a reg. bj they call the 2.4 an ss model

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Hmmmmm... I see another one of these in my future... same paint scheme?
    yes

http://proboatmodels.com/Products/De...rodID=PRB3300S

Awesome... I like how they only changed the pics they had to.. Steerable drive is still in one of them...

Guess I may finally have to make myself a matching canopy, then make my existing BJ a twinny.++Seacraft, as for salt water running, just be sure to fluch everything out. In your case, you may wantt o leave the tuperware box in for extra protection. Be sure your taping your hatch down. Do not rely on those magnets. Also remove your flex after every days use, clean it, oil it and store it outside the boat, or at least, not in the stuffing tube. Lay it in the boat or something. Ive been running gassers in salt for about 20 yrs now, maintenance is all I can say, my oldest boat still looks brand new.
    Attached Images Attached Images