Thread: ASSAN 2.4ghz

Default ASSAN 2.4ghz

ASSAN 2.4ghz Review

Already purchasing a Futaba 3PM 10 Channel memory radio when the 2.4ghz radios were over $200.00 or more at the time was most logical. It was a shame when the 2.4 prices fell and to lose this radio and get another one just to get into a 2.4ghz platform was not ideal. In searching I found the ASSAN module. So I easily converted all my FM radios to the Assan's. There is a strong following of people that have used all the other 2.4ghz systems and love the ASSAN just as well if not more as the receivers are so small and inexpensive. The ASSAN is smaller and costs much less than some others on the market. Spectrum comes close though in size but is still pricey for the cost of one receiver you can get 2-3 ASSAN receivers.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8389

The Corona's and FrSky are close competitors and it's mostly the Corona's that have had some issues reported. The ASSAN works great, no range or glitch issues and they bind easily and fast. The receivers are smaller than anything on the market hands down! Try to find anything smaller than this size in a 4 channel: X8 R4 Size: 5mm thick by 32mm length by 15mm wide. That is pretty amazing and Weight: 3.2g. The X8D works great on pistol type radios. On a Futaba 3PM 75MHz radio the X8D fits as if was made for it. No modification to the antenna mount was needed. All you need is to find a spot where you want to install the X8D module as there is plenty of room in the Futaba's radios.

Radio Install of X8D

There are 3 lines grouped together on the break out board that you need to look for on this radio:

VDD (Futaba) = Power goes to Assan +
    SIG (Futaba) = Signal line to Assan (PPM)
    G (Futaba) = Ground to Assan

All the other lines which are HRS/PPM, CR, Data, RF-SW and Ant are to be unsoldered; place a long piece of shrink tubing over them and pack away as they are not used. The board is also removed as it's held by 3
    screws.

The PPM line was easy to find to tap in the Futaba 3PM

Pics: http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/...849.JPG?psid=1

To find the PPM line on a different radio you need to use an oscilloscope. If you have a Futaba radio already I have done the work for you.

Also it was confirmed by Futaba that the 3PM 9.6v system WILL operate up to 12v and if a 11.1v lipo is used so it will not void the warranty and will operate properly even to 12.1 volts. I also learned today that the X8D
    will work fine with the 11.1v lipo battery. Awesome, no more AAA's to buy or use and lasts longer!

Pluses:

1. The receivers are only about 24.50 as is the Tactic, but the Assan one is really thin.
    2. You get to keep your radio so if its a digital AM or FM you get to use all the features instead of loosing all the features to get into a 2.4 and only have a few controls like the cheap Tactic.
    3. You don't end up with another radio if you already have a FM or AM radio and you do the module swap instead and you get channel memory if your radio already has it! You lose that with a Tactic.
    4. ASSAN is very solid and reliable, never had an issue two years now.
    5. Cheaper than any FAAST system or Spectrum system still including the module and extra receivers.
    6. You can modify any PCM radio unless it's 30 years old, but everything these days is PCM.
    7. You may use Lipo battery with the module.

Negatives:

1. The ASSAN receivers only work with the ASSAN modules which makes sense.
    2. Using the ASSAN only voids your actual radio warranty, but that only is for the first year limited warranty which ends after the year anyways.

FCC or AMA Concerns

As for the FCC: As already stated; The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is
    charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.
    Also a device can't be FCC approved and sold to the US if it has not been FCC approved.

By the way, ASSAN's FCC License is: FCC ID: VJ9XRF01

GRANT OF EQUIPMENT
    AUTHORIZATION Certification Issued Under the Authority of the Federal Communications Commission By:
    Timco Engineering, Inc.
    849 NW State Road 45
    P.O. Box 370,
    Newberry, FL 32669

I spoke with the FCC as there were concerns that the ASSAN is not legal to use and here is the facts and my conversation with Jim at the FCC:

Q. "Is there any law that states the following with the FCC Jim? "FCC laws very clearly state that within the United States that you can not open up a transmitter and make any modifications, period."
    A. Jim: "No. So not true! There is no such law."

Q. "Is there anything illegal with how the ASSAN is being used installed of transmitting Jim?"
    A. Jim: "No, the ASSAN device falls under the 15C rules part."

Q. "So what does that mean Jim?"
    A. Jim: "There is no such law that states you can't open an already FCC approved radio and disable it and use the radio as host which is what the ASSAN is designed for as it's own stand alone transmitter. What is
    not FCC approved and illegal is to take an existing FCC radio and modify the EXISTING signal 75Mhz for example, or power output or the way it's broadcasting on that already FCC approved frequency which is
    75Mhz."

So summary, there is no Law that says you can't open a FCC radio and disable it and use the rest of the radio as a host or shell and use the ASSAN. The module has been and is FCC approved as it's own stand alone transmitting device. The ONLY issue is; the device is inside the radio and the rules say a device must show what the device is broadcasting at. So ASSAN just needs a sticker or something that shows the radio is operating as 2.4Ghz as a plug in module does. Jim stated this is a minor issue and breaks no laws and that is the only real issue they see. So basically the part that is illegal is when you are using a module that integrates into the radio system, as in the flow passes through the non compliant module and then out the antennae provided with the system. The ASSAN gets around this because they do not use the on board antennae, but rather it's own. So the module never really integrates with the system, just adds on to the end of the process making it legal.

Also on the AMA insurance:

Using a module other than one manufactured by the transmitter’s manufacturer would not void your AMA insurance coverage. However, we would like to caution that this more than likely would void your manufacturer’s warranty.

Best regards,
    Ilona Maine
    Programs Department
    Phone (765) 287-1256
    Fax (765) 289-4248
    www.modelaircraft.org

I hope all the people that are using the ASSAN or are considering it that it's clear now that it's officially stated by the FCC you are not breaking any laws!

Performance and Quality:

I have not been able to fault the receiver as yet. Never ever had a range issue or the slightest glitch 2 years now using it. Response time is immediate with no delay what so ever. They are so small that they never can upset the balance in any RC vehicle. I never have to worry about where to place it. It has a bright red LED light so when it's on or during the binding process it's easy to see. Binding is quick and easy and you never have to re-bind as others have complained with other 2.4ghz systems. If you have a favorite radio or don't want to purchase a new 2.4ghz radio or want to have 2.4ghz with 10 or 5 channel memory and be able to purchase extra receivers without the high price and be small, the ASSAN system is for you. They have been around since 2005 which was way before a lot of the other companies got on the band wagon to make a profit which is what makes their product "ahead of the curve" I feel.

Check out their other products, they have some amazing products. They are now making ESC's. http://www.assan.cn/index.html

They originally started on HobbyKing but that is not the only place to get their products. See: http://www.assan.cn/main/index-4.html TrueRC swears by it and backs up the ASSAN line http://www.truerc.com.

Threads: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994433

Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 06-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.

I like the flysky fsgt3b 2.4ghz radio from hobbypartz. I use it on all my rigs, rx are only 7 bucks each! And it has 10 model memmory and a nice backlit led screen. Very good radio for the price, $35....