Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miss Geico Lets see what this thing can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    CG is measured from the transom forward. There is no purpose measuring your cells. You need to find the proper cg for the boat to ride with a good attitude.

Also, the inline setup is very inefficient. No reason to keep it. It is disrupting the thrust cone, adding lift to the stren, especially in turns where you are just wasting energy by thrusting into the side of the blade.

JP, how deep is your strut?
    What you say may be true, but my setup works for me with Thr advise I gave and I have Jo bounce and no speed lost through turns at WOT. So, tomatoe, tomato.

Whether you notice or not, you are losing speed in the turns. Ask anyone who races cats if they run a inline strudder.

Jack, it is impossible for you to not lose speed in a turn with the inline setup... The rudder is in direct interference with the natural cone of the prop. Whether or not it's a big difference is the issue but I can guarantee you you'll losing some speed.. hence why the larger counterparts typically have dual rudders or engines on the outside of the rudder... its not only more stability, its to maintain the speed through a course.

I noticed a HUGE difference while cornering during races when I went to the offset rudder. Running the boat by myself, I never realized how much it was actually slowing until I started racing it. I was blown away how much it slowed down. I did find, and posted somewhere... I think in the race set up thread, that offsetting it has nothing to do w/ getting rid of the bounce. Its all about finding the trim and balance. JackB already said that. Anyway, If I wasnt racing, I probably would have kept it inline just because I prefer the look.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    I noticed a HUGE difference while cornering during races when I went to the offset rudder. Running the boat by myself, I never realized how much it was actually slowing until I started racing it. I was blown away how much it slowed down. I did find, and posted somewhere... I think in the race set up thread, that offsetting it has nothing to do w/ getting rid of the bounce. Its all about finding the trim and balance. JackB already said that. Anyway, If I wasnt racing, I probably would have kept it inline just because I prefer the look.
    I wounder why I tuned my boat (or tried too) about 20 runs and never got the bounce out and then when I installed the kinetic offset bracket it instantly went away? Maybe its just me but I cant understand it when people say the bracket has noting to do with it because in my case it had a major difference..
    Heck Ive even tried to tune it to bounce and I cant with the bracket on..

Filled in my rudder inlet since it's not used now.

Also took the rudder brace off and finished it up. Made an epoxy block on the inside of the transom where it mounts so it's more securely attached and solid to the boat/hull. Before I was pressed for time wanting to go run again I used an aluminum brace I cut and made. But wasn't 100% happy with how it held. Also sealed the bracket to the hull with rtv as I mounted it. Instead of the thin rubber pad I was going to use.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Still too windy here. It's nice weather sunny and warm. Just windy really bad. Maybe I need a sail boat.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Agreed, Scott. I never said mving the strut didn't work. I just said it wouldn't take the bounce away. If I were racing my boat I would look in to moving it but I don't personally like the way it looks. Loosing 1-2mph through a turn doesn't mean anything to me since I'm sport boating with friends. 1/2 the time one of u flips over anyways since were all obeyed powered!

So again, for me, my setup works just fine :)

hows the hunt for decals comeing?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I've got 4 with the girl and flags being made up(see last post with it superimposed on my boat) to see how it's going to go. They were supposed to be done today but they haven't finished them yet. I might get them Thursday or Friday.

Got to run a little today after work. The offset rudder helps a bunch. I still need to play with the setup to keep the boat on the water. I have the COG way forward like 12" and the strut level all around. Still can't hold throttle down or she will blow over. I was able to get her up to 59.8 MPH today tho. Still has more than that locked away. Might try a hair negative strut angle or make a clear lexan air dam. Just kicking ideas around for now.
    Last edited by JPriami; 04-25-2011 at 11:56 PM.

perhaps some lead weights in the front.

where is the strut set at? tiegman is running his level and touching the top of the table when boat is sitting on table......may have to shave the cornner off the strut brace with a big prop

My props won't ever hit the strut brace now. I've cut some length off it since I made a new offset rudder mount.
    Might be able to see how much I cut off in this pic. the two bolts on the back of the brace have been relocated I drilled those holes out for them to mount there.

I have the strut dead level with the bottom of the hull. Center of prop shaft is at same level as bottom of ride pads. The angle is set at 0.
    Last edited by JPriami; 04-29-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Went ahead and glassed in the windshield too. It ended up being the weak spot like I feared. It got a very small crack in it the other day. So hopefully this saves it from getting worse.

im curious about air damns on cats. ive thought about trying it with my MM.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    im curious about air damns on cats. ive thought about trying it with my MM.
    theres a few that have done it. Bonewar did a servo controled one on a Matrimo cat and I believe there is a fixt tunnel dam for the Toysport cat.

They work! I run one on my sprintcat and my Maritimo. A few inches (4 on my timo) back from the leading edge of the tunnel. About 3/16" tall is all, entire width of the tunnel.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this part of the boat at high speed is acting like a wing of sorts and air pushing on that high angle is creating lift to the nose of the boat.

I've made places for my lipos to go way forward in the hull to add weight up front to help keep the nose down. And I wonder about making an air dam or clear lexan wing to stick on the front to add the necessary down force. Or just add negative angle on strut. But not fond of that idea just yet.

Show some pics rumdog. If u don't mind.

JP I just took a quick look at mine... you might be right... I didn't think of that before and it's sitting right there in front of us. But the key to fixing that of course is still proper balancing of the lipos and weight in the boat. Interesting but I'm sure that could be contributing to the hull hop.

I'm going to try making a lower air dam first that will stick to the front lower part between the sponsons and see if that counter acts the lift. If that don't work then maybe a small clear angled lip on top that adds down force.

Got to run one time today. First time with the packs way up front COG as balancing point on the boat was about 12.5 " hard to say exactly because its near the first step in the hull. Boats goes through the water at the lower speeds really well. But once you get going above 50 it starts picking the nose up. I then tried the temp test air dam I made that goes between the sponsons up front on the lower side of the hull. and that did help. it still had some bounce across the water at full throttle but it never blew over. Best recorded speed today was 58.6 MPH on a x642 prop.
    Im going to try and make a wing to mount up front that adds down force to the nose. I am thinking I can make this out of a Mini revo vxl wing and use weather proof 3M stick tape to mount it between the sponsons right in front of the bow before it sweeps under the boat. if it doesnt work then I'll just have an extra wing for my mini revo vxl. if it does work then I can perhaps start moving my batteries back to be closer to the 30% COG mark of the hull.

where and how is your strut set?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Level and level

i beleave you are right about the lift under the hull as the air has to go faster over the bottom then the top so lower pressure...ran mine to day twice in rough water and flipped it several times still no prob with hatch...knock on wood

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    Level and level
    Maybe 1 or 2* prop down
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I tried a little negative angle and it still wants to pop up. But I had my COG further back like 10.5/11" at the time.

Just roughing up another idea I had to add down force. This angle covers up the high angle below. But it might add too much.

This was from today. I had to enhance the lighting to show up better because I went later in the day and it was getting close to dusk.
    Eagle Tree data logged GPS 58.6 MPH on a x642

YouTube Video

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast