Thread: RC Boat newb..

Default RC Boat newb..

asks same opening question as always..what should I get!?!?

I just got the Black Jack 26 brush-less and love it! I have had it running for all of 10 minutes and I am already wondering what I should do to make it go faster :)

Everything is stock of course. I have 2 new Venom 7.2 V 5000 mAh batteries. For now, I am not interested in doing lipos ( I discovered what those were a few weeks ago )

I am looking for a simple improvement to my stock boat that would give the biggest bang and that seems to be investing in a new prop?

Would you all agree that would be an easy upgrade? Would seem so but you all have so much info on all of this nothing is ever as simple as it would seem. I thought I read upgrading the prop would increase heat which you need to watch out for.

Is there anything else besides a prop I should consider? What should I avoid or know about props before getting a new one?

I am really not someone who likes to tinker or spend a lot of time working on his boat ( at least for now ) so I welcome VERY simple ideas to help me improve my boats performance.

Thanks!!!

I did find this thread that explained a great deal about props..thanks to the author ( dag-nabit )

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=23534

It seems the primary factors are diameter and pitch meaning of course finding the right prop is more complicated than it would seem to a newbie

What is the consensus on the best prop for the blackjack with a stock motor and 7.2 v nimh batteries?

Thanks!

Unfortunatley, easiest best thing you can do to make it go a lot faster is lipos. You can get a pair of 2S, 40C, 5000mah for about $60.00 shipped. That would be your best bang for the buck.

The Octura X-642 is a great prop for this boat.

the lipos will show better improvement than the prop will. Also, your current batteries may not like a new prop too well. My neighbor got one several months back and the LHS had Nimh batteries in stock, so he grabbed them while he awaited his lipos. His boat would not run on them. It would go about 30 feet and shut down. I dont remember the specs on the battereies, but I would have thought they would have been fine. Oh, this was after the prop swap. It did run on the stock prop just fine. Just a heads up.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

And welcome to the forum!

Agreed with Tiq on this one. New batteries (lipos) are gonna be the best quick upgrade without a doubt. Grab some lipos (not venom) and you will have a HUGE smile on your face.

These packs are AWESOME, I love them...
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10305

These would be a great choice also http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11934
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Thank you tiqueman & Diesel!

The prop is listed as a 1.6 X 2.5 in Composite. Seems rather cheap to me. What if I get something roughly equivalent but in metal? Do you think I might see 1 or 2 MPH greater in speed?

I am probably more interested in making the boat overall more durable in the long run. I just bought those 2 batteries for 80.00 ( 40 each ) at the store so I think I will hold on to them for a while.

The Steerable Drive Sys (BJ26) seems like it should be next on the replacement list. Any improvment in speed with that? I assume it makes it handle at least a little better.

Thanks again for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by hjohnso2 View Post
    Thank you tiqueman & Diesel!

The prop is listed as a 1.6 X 2.5 in Composite. Seems rather cheap to me. What if I get something roughly equivalent but in metal? Do you think I might see 1 or 2 MPH greater in speed?

I am probably more interested in making the boat overall more durable in the long run. I just bought those 2 batteries for 80.00 ( 40 each ) at the store so I think I will hold on to them for a while.

The Steerable Drive Sys (BJ26) seems like it should be next on the replacement list. Any improvment in speed with that? I assume it makes it handle at least a little better.

Thanks again for the advice!
    An exact copy of what you have but in metal should yeild a bit more as it will not flex at top end and lose its shape. So you are correct, you should see a little difference. But, I hate to say it again, lipos are your biggest speed increase. Also keep in mind, your batteries may not supply the umph needed for your new prop. Its worth it and if/ when you do get them, you, in no way at all will regret the expense. Seriously w/ out exageration, its a HUGE difference. Way more than a prop will show.

Changing the drive will not produce more speed but will help in handling to an extent. The BJ26 is not the greatest cornering boat and takes a lot of dialing in to get it, better. Theres a thread on here called "fixing the BJ handling" or something like that. Read it, read all of it. It is several pages long and well worth every minute. The onyl thing that has become different is a lot of people, including myself, have ditched the fins all together instead of modifying them. But, this is after the drive swap. So, dont remove them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Agreed with Tiq on this one. New batteries (lipos) are gonna be the best quick upgrade without a doubt. Grab some lipos (not venom) and you will have a HUGE smile on your face.

These packs are AWESOME, I love them...
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10305

These would be a great choice also http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11934
    wow, very nice. Are niMh batteries more expensive than lipos? Do nImh batteries last longer?

This is what I have..came with 4 different connector types

Venom VEN1548 - 7.2V 6 cell 5000mAh

Battery Type: Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH)
    Length: 5.39" (137mm)
    Height: 0.94" (24mm)
    Width: 1.77" (45mm)
    Weight: 14.4 oz (408g)
    Plug Type: Venom Uni Plug - see below*
    Capacity: 5000mAh
    Cell Configuration: 6-Cell
    Voltage: 7.2V
    Amp Rating: 5 amps

http://www.rcplanesandcopters.com/st...097428561.html

The place where I bought the boat was totally out of batteries..I can't tell you how disappointing that was..like..well..buying an RC boat but having no batteries to run it :)

I called across town to another hobby shop and grabbed what they had feeling fortunate I came up with these.

Thanks again tiqueman,

I thought a new metal drive system might reduce drag.

I like all the paint and body mod jobs you all have done. I would really think about doing something like that in the winter :)

Ill give you the short version lol. No, Lipos are much more expensive, if bought at the LHS. For example, you can get brand XXX nimh batteries for say, $40.00 a piece. 7.2v, 5000mah. A comparable lipo would be about 85 or $90.00 and up. for a low "C" rating. A higher "C" rating can get crazy expensive, over $200.00 a battery for example. the ratings "C" in a nut shell are liek this, cars etc can survive on a 15C. Boat MINIMUM would be 20C, if its all stock and not really going to be modded. I personally try and run at leat 40C. Some of my parallel set ups are running 30C.

For now to keep it simple, think of the C rating like wire gauge. the bigger it has, the more power can be pulled out of it.

the ones Deisel linked are great. I run the Turnigy 2S (7.4V) 40C 5000 in my BJ and its awesome. (first link in Deisels post)

The other thing is they do indeed take a lipo specific charger. So if your current charger does not charge lipos, you would have to get that as well.
    Its tough getting intot he hobby, but once you start getting some of the basics, the big expenses start to go down, until you need another boat, then a faster set up, then another boat. Beware, this is an addiction.

Thanks again tiqueman,

I thought a new metal drive system might reduce drag.

I like all the paint and body mod jobs you all have done. I would really think about doing something like that in the winter :)
    There are definitly some killer Black Jacks out there. In your first post, you mention your not one who really cares to work on or tinker. Id be curious to see how that changes over the next couple months. I think you will be pleasantly suprised how much fun it is to tinker and re-do things, out it back on the water and watch your improvements come together. It feel slike quite an accomplishment. (Public Service announcement), unfortunatley, not all changes are for the good. Sometimes you go

Come winter time, Im sure youll be working the heck out of it.

I was some what intimidated to tear my first one apart. Now I do it like its nothing. Strip it all out, carbon fiber the hull, make a new motor mount, sharpen and balance a new prop, and have it back on the water in 24 hours.

I am just happy I got this one..it seems incredibly fast to me already considering this is my first decent RC boat.

Due to some spotty research, I thought the Traxxas Spartan was the end-all in RC boats. They are incredibly fast from what I have seen but would not like a plastic hull. This seems much more rugged and the catamaran platform is probably better for someone new to RC boats ( more stable )

My son is 7 and I can dial down the speed and trim and let him play with it also :)

**I do LIKE traxxas. I have the traxxas Grave Digger which is a ton of fun and extremely durable right out of the box
    Last edited by hjohnso2; 04-12-2011 at 10:53 PM.

It certainly is a fun boat. But I assure you, it will go upside down. That being said, be sure to tape down your hatch, they are the first thing to be lost. Seal it up good. Clear electrical tape works well. Walmart, GE brand, little over a buck a roll. Id also advise tape up the antenna hole and either drill in a new hole that you can install a grommet and slide the antenna into for a snug, water tight fit, or do a transom mount antenna. And always use soem type of rescue device, be it a canoe, fishing pole or another radio control boat w/ a retreival system.

I here you on the plastic hull. That was a bummer in my book as well.

Hope you dont mind me posting this. But heres a GoPro on my neighbors BJ while running w/ mine. Just a teaser for you. I love running these boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF2bd...eature=related

Stock motors and escs, running 4S (14.8V) and X-642 props.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Hope you dont mind me posting this. But heres a GoPro on my neighbors BJ while running w/ mine. Just a teaser for you. I love running these boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF2bd...eature=related

Stock motors and escs, running 4S (14.8V) and X-642 props.
    Not at all..that was awesome! So catching wake was bad, do you think if the cam was not on it, you/he would have flipped (higher center of gravity more drag?) Great to see it recovered like a champ after that with the cam intact.

Great advice also, much appreciated. I do have an inflatable kayak I plan on bringing so had already considered that.

Taping the hatch I hadn't thought of doing but will do do now, also sealing the antenna hole. It is vexing why they made it so large?

-HJ

It indeed was a bit top heavy w/ the camera and that did contribute to a few of the turn overs. But it still happens occasionally w/ out the camera

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    There are definitly some killer Black Jacks out there. In your first post, you mention your not one who really cares to work on or tinker. Id be curious to see how that changes over the next couple months. I think you will be pleasantly suprised how much fun it is to tinker and re-do things, out it back on the water and watch your improvements come together. It feel slike quite an accomplishment. (Public Service announcement), unfortunatley, not all changes are for the good. Sometimes you go

Come winter time, Im sure youll be working the heck out of it.

I was some what intimidated to tear my first one apart. Now I do it like its nothing. Strip it all out, carbon fiber the hull, make a new motor mount, sharpen and balance a new prop, and have it back on the water in 24 hours.

Well you were right, the tinkering has already begun. I have spent over $30.00 for tools to maintain my boat.

In the course of lubing the drive shaft, I didn't screw in tight enough the set screw..the propeller moved down a bit and broke on the water intake.

Now I have had to order a new prop (from offshore electrics ) and selected something simple but metal..the Octura x640.

I suspect I will be doing more of this maintenance, and will get a little better as time goes on :)

I am just happy I got this one..it seems incredibly fast to me already considering this is my first decent RC boat.

Due to some spotty research, I thought the Traxxas Spartan was the end-all in RC boats. They are incredibly fast from what I have seen but would not like a plastic hull. This seems much more rugged and the catamaran platform is probably better for someone new to RC boats ( more stable )

My son is 7 and I can dial down the speed and trim and let him play with it also :)

**I do LIKE traxxas. I have the traxxas Grave Digger which is a ton of fun and extremely durable right out of the box
    Great advice from Tiq... Sorry I wasn't part of this longer, for some reason the email notifications went to my Junk inbox. Got that fixed. Blackjacks are fun, I have had 2 of them. removing the batt trays did help lower the cg on mine, she still liked the occasional roll over though.

Most important parts of the hobby is having fun doing it. Like tiq said, tinkering is the funnest (for me.) I am a mechanic by trade so taking stuff apart and "attempting" to put it back together the way it came apart is a blast for me lol. This is a great place for info and down the road grab one of Tiq's hatches for a real nice slick looking BJ26!

Mono's are actually the most stable out of FE boats, this link will help you give you a quick rundown on hulls types. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...hull-types.php
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Thanks Diesel,

I checked out your fleet and you tube videos, that was great!

Thanks for putting up the 'I'm On A Boat (ft. T-Pain)', video, one of my all time favorites.

So I was excited to see I got in the mail today the Octura x640 prop. The other stock propeller broker.

I went to install it and the tounge and groove where the prop snugs in is TOO small (drive dog slot?) I am talking about where the wedge is cut out on the prop to get a tight fit to the axle.

Arrggh. Do I send this back or do I have to file it down?

Thanks!
    Last edited by hjohnso2; 04-20-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks Diesel,

I checked out your fleet and you tube videos, that was great!

Thanks for putting up the 'I'm On A Boat (ft. T-Pain)', video, one of my all time favorites.

So I was excited to see I got in the mail today the Octura x640 prop. The other stock propeller broker.

I went to install it and the tounge and groove where the prop snugs in is TOO small (drive dog slot?) I am talking about where the wedge is cut out on the prop to get a tight fit to the axle.

Arrggh. Do I send this back or do I have to file it down?

Thanks!
    You can file it open slightly or get a thinner drive dog.

This should work: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=oct-oc6dmm
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    You can file it open slightly or get a thinner drive dog.

This should work: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=oct-oc6dmm
    Thank you very much! I emailed the nice folks here at Offshore electrics just now and the replied back very quickly, said it would require filing and balancing (x640). I didn't know that before I bought it.

I am going to buy a prop I don't have to work for now and the item you recommended. I can see researching and balancing this taking a couple of hours and I just don't have the time this week to do that. Maybe later.

I am going camping near a great lake next week and really just want to play with it then and work less on the boat for now

Default Lipo's that use Deans connectors?

Diesel or tiqueman - had a question on your recommendation for the Turnigy Lipos in this post for the B26. I currently have 4200 Mah NiMh batteries and I was thinking of replacing them to Lipos (mostly because i think my current NiMh's are dead). I have not modified the stock boat at all.

The 2 batteries you recommended do not have Dean's connectors on them. I don't have the tools required or the knowledge to be soldering new connectors. Can you recommend other batteries that are similar with Deans connections? or can I just get an adapter? if so, do you know who carries these?

Also I was thinking of getting the Dynamite Passport Ultra charger below. Any thoughts on it? Will it work fine for the batteries you recommended?

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4064

any advice is appreciated.

I actually use that exact charger. I've been using it about a year and a half now. it works well and balances 2s packs very well. For some reason my 4s packs I can put on the charger balanced and they come off with always the same cell lower than the other 3. I can't say its a battery issue because all the batteries come off w the same problem (8 batteries 4s each)

As for the deans, even stock id remove them and have 5.5 bullets installed. Id bet someone at your local hobby store would help. At worst case ship em to me and your esc and ill do it. You could do adaptors, but that's just more resistance and at some point mor problems