Thread: Tactic radio mod/ no more pistix

Default Tactic radio mod/ no more pistix

Im going to take a shot at modding my tactic radio so that I dont have to use pistix anymore with my ICE controllers. I have 2 tactic radios, so I will mod one for ari escs and keep the other one for standard setups. I have 4 ICE escs going into boats, and I would rather not run 4 pistix if possible.
    I opened up my Tactic, and there is one return spring for both forward and back positions. The throttle acts like a rocker against another lever so the spring works both ways. My intention is to notch on side of the lever and add to the other with epoxy, so the throttle returns all the way back instead of to the neutral point. Hopefully it works (If not I ruined a radio).

I'll post some pics so hopefully this makes more sense.

It works!!! Thanks to OSE Member Raydee for responding to my PMs and steering me in this direction. This is saving me money and hassle and took maybe 20 minutes to do (a little longer for the epoxy to dry).

Looks better than a rubberband for sure
    Team Liquid Dash

Very cool Keith. Let me know if you break any of those parts, I think I have extras laying around. I ended up converting a few of the tactic's to my old stick radios (I guess I just never got the feel of the pistol grip). Here is the 4 channel version (the 4 slots were milled for servo reverse)...

Anyways, I have some of those parts and you are welcome to them if you need them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that is cool! I have two CC110HV I use pixstix with. might have to give this a go.
    Thanks for sharing.
    "Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument, an exchange of ignorance." Robert Quillen

Smart stuff, very cool man!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Very cool Keith. Let me know if you break any of those parts, I think I have extras laying around. I ended up converting a few of the tactic's to my old stick radios (I guess I just never got the feel of the pistol grip). Here is the 4 channel version (the 4 slots were milled for servo reverse)...

Anyways, I have some of those parts and you are welcome to them if you need them.

Being a "stick" guy myself..... THAT IS AWSOME!!!!!

Later,
    Mike

We are no doubt a rare breed. Last I checked, nobody makes a 2 channel stick radio w/RX that doesn't have an antenna (like tactic).

Keith - I've been making molds and castings lately. Another idea would be to make a mold of your final part (with the epoxy) and casting a new part out of a high strength liquid plastic. The stuff works great for projects like that! One of our local hobby stores actually stocks it.

I saw a guy put a small bungee cord (one of those the girls use on their pigtails) to hold the trigger all the way forward on the tactic. He drilled a smallhole in the front of the trigger and also in the "nub" in front of the trigger. Might be a simpler solution? Dunno.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I see you also have broken the antenna mount. I can see the clear tape on the transmitter on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by supastar1568 View Post
    I see you also have broken the antenna mount. I can see the clear tape on the transmitter on the right.
    But...look close...can you find waldo?

Actually if you take another look you will notice the black tape on the other remote. It's how I told them apart prior to modding the one.

I think some people are missing the point here...
    The idea was to have a remote that works with air escs AND does so like it was made for it. I've put a rubber band on the trigger of a remote before, and it holds the trigger back (provided the rubber band doesnt slip, break, or otherwise malfunction), but there is an overly apparent neutral point where the throttle goes from very easy to squeeze to much more difficult. With my mod you eliminate the tranition from reverse to neutral to forward...there is none. Anyone who used both would choose teh modded version. There really is no comparison. I've actually grown to like the larger throttle range that this remote has more than standard setups with normal ESCs.