Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turnigy 180 cooling upgrade

Default Turnigy 180 cooling upgrade

I've seen several variations on this method. Some just use the center void. Here's a simple way to use the entire plate. IIRC I've seen something pretty close to this way of doing it. Here's how I did it :

Drilled through the side passages into the center void. (Relieved the side-fin with a dremel to allow clearance for drill bit)

Tapped the outside wall of the side-passage tube with a 6-32 tap & blocked off with set screws sealed with JB

Made block-off plates for the ends of the center passage with some scrap aluminum & carefully JB'd to attach & seal

Water enters the first tube-passage, enters the center void, does its heat exchange, exits into the other tube-passage & out the hull exit.

I'll pressure test as soon as the JB cures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

That's cool Tony. I never liked how the water cooling was located on the T180.

Another PIA is the wiring layout. Has anybody ever attempted to re-solder the wires so that they are laying down flat. Not sure if I want to try this myself. My soldering skills are not that great but it should would make layout alot easier. I seem to have trouble finding a happy spot for that ESC.
    "IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT AND THOUGHT A FOOL THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT"

Quote Originally Posted by chummer View Post
    That's cool Tony. I never liked how the water cooling was located on the T180.

Another PIA is the wiring layout. Has anybody ever attempted to re-solder the wires so that they are laying down flat. Not sure if I want to try this myself. My soldering skills are not that great but it should would make layout alot easier. I seem to have trouble finding a happy spot for that ESC.
    I totally agree. Seems like the T-180 wasn't laid out by a boat guy. The cooling design doesn't appear to take full advantage of the plate, and the cooling lines at 90 degrees to the wires are a PIA. An easy mod to change that is pictured; with the mod it just makes into the box on my tunnel-should work for riggers as well.

I have a bonkered 180 with one motor wire desoldered off the board and even though I'm getting pretty good at soldering I haven't found my efforts to re-solder it getting the job done.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Could you solder it flat I need an esc for my apparition but this won't fit unless I can lay the wires down

Quote Originally Posted by Alexgar View Post
    Could you solder it flat I need an esc for my apparition but this won't fit unless I can lay the wires down
    They will fit in the apparition with no modification, just hold the motor wires sideways and tuck it under the lip, you will have to remove part of the wooden esc tray or whatever behind the motor.

how did the pressure test go?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Default T180 heatsink mods

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I totally agree. Seems like the T-180 wasn't laid out by a boat guy. The cooling design doesn't appear to take full advantage of the plate, and the cooling lines at 90 degrees to the wires are a PIA. An easy mod to change that is pictured; with the mod it just makes into the box on my tunnel-should work for riggers as well.

I have a bonkered 180 with one motor wire desoldered off the board and even though I'm getting pretty good at soldering I haven't found my efforts to re-solder it getting the job done.
    Tony

i agree with you, that the T180 does not work well with a boat layout,
    so i took a slightly track than you, i just cut & tapped the brass stubs with 3mm metric, then screwed a plate each end, and used 90deg outlets on the top, i also drilled 2- 3 dia holes each end so water fills the 3 sections inside, seems to work good..

jwt

What is the chance of just using a good old alum type all the rest use? Seem it would be easy and better. Does the heat sink just pull off? Was considering do two for mine but using a alum block...would make it smaller as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jwt View Post
    Tony

i agree with you, that the T180 does not work well with a boat layout,
    so i took a slightly track than you, i just cut & tapped the brass stubs with 3mm metric, then screwed a plate each end, and used 90deg outlets on the top, i also drilled 2- 3 dia holes each end so water fills the 3 sections inside, seems to work good..

jwt
    Nicely done ! Your design makes the finished job even narower than mine, should really help shoehorning into tunnels and riggers. May have to give your method a try with a spare top plate sitting on my bench

I have noticed that on late model T-180's that the brass inlet/outlets show that some sealant is being used which makes extracting them intact a little more challanging - I may try some heat to see if I can just unscrew them rather than cutting them off and re-tapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    What is the chance of just using a good old alum type all the rest use? Seem it would be easy and better. Does the heat sink just pull off? Was considering do two for mine but using a alum block...would make it smaller as well.
    The cooling plate comes off with the four case screws.

Here's another configuration I may try - using the top-plate mod & encasing the heat sink block. Basically, though, if one's setup is correct, major cooling won't be all that necessary but won't hurt either.

be carefull soon you will be in buisness revamping t180's for evenyone lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Tony I was thinking of doing a closed loop / mineral oil bath or transformer oil bath/ heat transfer cooling system using an aluminum enclosure case like this....http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwgf.htm..... Was curious if your bud down there has ever any issues with his closed loop system ? I'm going to put a T180 in it and use in a T29 , in Bakersfield heat the caps allways run hot so this is my solution.... :)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    Tony I was thinking of doing a closed loop / mineral oil bath or transformer oil bath/ heat transfer cooling system using an aluminum enclosure case like this....http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwgf.htm..... Was curious if your bud down there has ever any issues with his closed loop system ? I'm going to put a T180 in it and use in a T29 , in Bakersfield heat the caps allways run hot so this is my solution.... :)
    Randy,

The HPR135 with closed loop/icewater seemed to work very well. Way too complex for normal use, but for highly stressed apps like SAWS maybe worth it.

My friend rigged this simple baby oil bath for a T-180. Crude but it works. I'll withold my take on this

DSC03084.JPG

I still maintain that the best approach to keeping temps in a reasonable range is to have a sensible setup.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post

DSC03084.JPG

I still maintain that the best approach to keeping temps in a reasonable range is to have a sensible setup.
    Ha ha ha !!!...... Well as much as I run boats for me to have a good day needs to include a boat with a edgy / over powered / amped esc to get the desired effect .... I really don't like burned up/ over heated esc's or momma's tupurwhere in my boats so my best chance to run a T29 with a 1515 1y on 4s 10-12000mah with deep turn fins and a 440x 3b( I don't know why this prop, I like it though) and make her handle the weather around hear is doing this esc cooling mod lol I will bring it down sometime to whoop on yours ha ha
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

When you remove & mod the cooling plate what do you use when you put the plate back on to the esc re heat sink compound. I can get the white paste heat sink compound, is this stuff suitable. Thanks Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    When you remove & mod the cooling plate what do you use when you put the plate back on to the esc re heat sink compound. I can get the white paste heat sink compound, is this stuff suitable. Thanks Martin.
    That's what I used. Should work fine.

Thanks Tony, can i ask on the T180 when you use no lvc do you use a low voltage alarm or just keep an eye on run times. Thanks Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Thanks Tony, can i ask on the T180 when you use no lvc do you use a low voltage alarm or just keep an eye on run times. Thanks Martin.
    Martin,

All my boats are configured for sprint (or offshore). Averaging 2 1/2 to three minute runtimes, the race setups are geared towards leaving a safe amount in the batteries.

I've gone high-tech timing my setups ( I really do use this !)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvQbEnwjNSU

Just to let you guys know the heat trick works great for getting the brass nipples out of the ends. I used my mini torch and they came right out.

Turnigy 180 (7).jpgTurnigy 180 (5).jpgTurnigy 180 (4).jpgTurnigy 180 (6).jpg

Tony, Where did you get the 90 degree fittings and are they 10/32? Also, do I owe you some parts from a UL-1?

Thanks Ted
    Ted H. Wachter
    West Florida Model Boat Club
    East Texas RC Boaters

Quote Originally Posted by teddyboy View Post
    Tony, Where did you get the 90 degree fittings and are they 10/32? Also, do I owe you some parts from a UL-1?

Thanks Ted
    Ted,

These are what I've used : (toggle down; you'll see them) http://kintecracing.com/Water_Cooling_BQFJ.html

I've also used these (larger i.d.) - Aeromarine or Insane Boats has them (Kintec's out of stock)- call to order : DSC03406.JPG
    both are 10/32
    Be VERY CAREFULL when removing the original barbs - they break off easy & then

Put a drill bit snugly in the barb to keep it from collapsing , hit the joint with a torch, then CAREFULLY break it loose & unscrew.

You were going to send me a UL-1 strut.

jwt:
    Did you also drill through the sides to get the holes into the center section then seal up the outside holes?
    I can't tell in your pics, in photo #3 I see the hole on the inside but don't see any holes on the outside.
    just last night I took the plate off a bad t180a and was contemplating what I could do with it and then this morning here it is, wow what are the chances.

Tony, thanks for the response. I will be going back to Longview, Texas and I will round up the UL-1 strut(s) I promised you. I am still in Florida and haven't found time to take care of that business. I will take care of it 2nd week in August. Sorry and thanks for the information.

Ted
    Ted H. Wachter
    East Texas RC Boaters

Tony, my flight got cancelled, trip in two weeks to get those struts for you. The esc cooling mods are complete as per your instructions. Thanks again. Ted
    Ted H. Wachter
    East Texas RC Boaters

Quote Originally Posted by teddyboy View Post
    Tony, my flight got cancelled, trip in two weeks to get those struts for you. The esc cooling mods are complete as per your instructions. Thanks again. Ted

And just when you think you've seen all variations....

Here's another one, most of it not new but for me the ideal combination.

I didn't want to make more holes than necessary, so I drilled 4 holes under an angle, like jwt did.
    Next I made a divider or 'dam' from thin aluminium, JB-welded in to keep both sides separated and the water can not go ways it's not supposed to go. (Not likely, but possible if left out) This way I can still use it for dual, or single pickup.
    To mount the covers securely, but not permanent, I wanted to use the nipples to hold the covers on.
    For this I had to make new nipples with a small flange, as the original nipples are constant diameter.
    I think the result looks "cool" ? (pun intended)
    Last edited by viper1; 02-17-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Final Photo's :

Nice Job Have a question ; what tubing did you use that makes nice 90 deg. bends without collapsing ?

Thanks Proper,

That's just "painted on" using the photo before it.
    But with the tygon fuel tubing I use for cooling, reality would not be that far of I guess. but it probably will naturally sit in a U-shape instead of 2- 90 deg. bends

This and the seaking esc is the same thing correct???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast