Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JAE mini sprint 109$

Just went on sale (in stock) this morning.

Yes ordered mine this morning with the $20 reduction for registered news letter subscribers, Their going fast (hopefully they will when built as well). Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    I like the JAE stuff but for less and all built and two inches larger you can get this:http://www.r2hobbies.com/men/proddet...od=rcbt0401005

It's big brother seems successful.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=23946
    Or not.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=25105

I'm sure you'll see pre built minis by qualified builders before it's all said and done.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Yes the R2 Hobbies hydros are cheap to buy, But is it worth the hassle as Doug has pointed out in the thread still running on rebuilds the are neseassary to get a good reliable boat. They also have a question mark over the quality of the ply wood they use, I may be wrong but it looks like packing case quality ply. Its certainly not birch ply. They are cheap though. Martin.

Looks like I got the last Sprint.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Dagnammit, why did I have to go to work today, I missed out.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Zipp kits sold out in 90 minutes but expect to have more stock Wednesday. Martin.

Zippkits have Mini Sprints back in stock but not many left. Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Petro View Post
    Awesome!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Wow..the pre-built ones sold out in a like a second... I am in the middle of a build on one these, going well ...

Hello,
    what motor do you recommend for this model. The motor zippkit recommended from hobbyking is on backorder. Will a Leopard LBP2848/9T 4370KV fit in (mounting holes and diameter with/or without? cooling jacket). As I understand they drive the hobbyking motor without cooling?
    Regards
    Bodo

The bolt spacing on the mount is a standard 19mm centres so the Leopard motor will fit the mount, The Leopard motor is an inrunner so needs a water cooling jacket which obviously will make the motor a bigger diameter so you may have issues with the water jacket not getting low enough in the mount without touching the tub bottom. The motor they recomend is an outrunner so therefore is air cooled. Martin.

The leopard motor is also longer and may not fit under the hatch. Here's a few others that might work from HK, no experience with them though so you may want to read the reviews.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8137

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6387

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9257

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8616

The lower kv motors would require a different prop, but there is another 4400kv one in the above links.

If your using the kit then motor length shouldnt be an issue as it comes with a cowling & not a flat hatch cover, Ive got the kit in front of me ready for build & the main issue would be clearance on the tub bottom with the water jacket. It could be modded to take the Leopard motor by filing the mount holes to raise the motor a bit, Just depends how much you would need to raise the motor though. You would also have to align the stuffing tube to suit the slightly higher drive line of the motor. With the 28mm outrunner motor fitted in the mount theirs around 3.5 mm from the motor can to the tub bottom at its lowest point not sure if thats enough for a water jacket to clear on a 28mm can inrunner + jacket. Martin.

Thanks a lot, martin and wparsons. I think i´ll try the 4400kV motor wparsons mentioned above.
    Bodo

what would be a great 3s motor?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Something in the 3000-3200kv range in the same size should do the trick!

I'm doing a scratch build of one, the hull and sponsons are done but I have other projects to finish before this one gets power.
    Planning to try a Tacon 28mm motor, undecided on length. Not using the stock motor mount idea so I can play with positions.
    I'm using aluminum C channel for a mount that spans the width of the hull and bolts in on both sides.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Got my pre-built mini sprint yesterday and noticed right off the ski isn't centered on the tub and it's cock-eyed. How critical is the ski position and will this cause a problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's interesting....

That will make absolutely no difference whatsoever to the boats performance......Your JAE Mini-Sprint will not care.....
    Finish er' up and go run the boat.....:-)...:-)

Plus, it is centered and straight, it just bulges out in the middle. Your measurements at the front and back are within 0.3mm of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    Plus, it is centered and straight, it just bulges out in the middle. Your measurements at the front and back are within 0.3mm of each other.
    Once again,that will be fine .....the boat will not know the difference......

If you look closely, it's actually out 2.4mm front to back on the left (37.1 vs 39.5)
    and 1.6mm front to back on the right side (39.0 vs 37.4), therfore my concern.

It's all moot since Mr Geraghty says it doesn't matter. I need to get a motor and finish it up. Actually can't wait to get it in the water.

Can I just confirm that there isn't any hydrodynamic or aerodynamic reason for putting the 1/8th" basswood strips for the tub top on the outside? It's just for ease of building right? I think it would look a lot better without the overhang on most of sides at the top of the tub and intend to apply basswood strips internally and sand it off the outside if it's just for ease of building.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I think they're there for ease of taping the hatch on. Without them there's very little material to hold the tape.

I think they're there for ease of taping the hatch on. Without them there's very little material to hold the tape.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Just ran my mini sprint for the fist time. Really ran great! Fun boat for a small pond and turns on a dime. I did clock some faily high temps 160's. Wondering on these outrunner's what is exceptable? More than an Inrunner? Here is a pic of the boat with it's big brother which I also test ran today. It did around 52mph, but has a lot more because I was testing in a very small pond near my house. Great for a quick test, but no room for error with a bigger faster boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    Just ran my mini sprint for the fist time. Really ran great! Fun boat for a small pond and turns on a dime. I did clock some faily high temps 160's. Wondering on these outrunner's what is exceptable? More than an Inrunner? Here is a pic of the boat with it's big brother which I also test ran today. It did around 52mph, but has a lot more because I was testing in a very small pond near my house. Great for a quick test, but no room for error with a bigger faster boat.
    52mph
    holly crud, I did not think these were going that fast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast