Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsession with 6s

Exclamation Obsession with 6s

Scrolling around in the RTR section's I see a lot of new guys attempting to or wanting to run 6s on wrong setups. The Spartan is bringing a lot of new guys into the FE world which is a great thing, but the BIG 6s label on the side of the box seems to be encouraging people to run 6s on mostly everything. There seems to be this RUSH or CHASE slowly becoming an obsession to hit 50mph or run 6s on everything. Running 6s on the wrong setups can cause damaged equipment and also hurt someone. Before running 6s I think some of our new comers to the Hobby should take a look at this chart which was posted by Properchopper a while ago. I think this is a AWESOME chart and I have it saved to every computer in my house. It's good starting point and quick guideline to help you have a good safe & reliable setup. I just think guys should step back from the draw of 6s and take some time to learn what they are doing first. I would hate to see someone blow there setup and waste a lot of money and possible leave the hobby because of it. Just my thoughts!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

big thanks to marketing by one company that has created a buz that one needs 6s to go 50mph, in my opinion
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I know what your saying I spent alot of money when lipos came our runing 6s now my fastest boats are 4-5s I still run 6s but am alot more educated in voltage and amperage, remember when lipo came out we were the guinea pigs some people want to learn the same way

The one good thing is quality and affordable to everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Scrolling around in the RTR section's I see a lot of new guys attempting to or wanting to run 6s on wrong setups. The Spartan is bringing a lot of new guys into the FE world which is a great thing, but the BIG 6s label on the side of the box seems to be encouraging people to run 6s on mostly everything. There seems to be this RUSH or CHASE slowly becoming an obsession to hit 50mph or run 6s on everything. Running 6s on the wrong setups can cause damaged equipment and also hurt someone. Before running 6s I think some of our new comers to the Hobby should take a look at this chart which was posted by Properchopper a while ago. I think this is a AWESOME chart and I have it saved to every computer in my house. It's good starting point and quick guideline to help you have a good safe & reliable setup. I just think guys should step back from the draw of 6s and take some time to learn what they are doing first. I would hate to see someone blow there setup and waste a lot of money and possible leave the hobby because of it. Just my thoughts!

Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    big thanks to marketing by one company that has created a buz that one needs 6s to go 50mph, in my opinion
    Everybody that buys my Micro boats is obsessed with wanting to run them on 4S. All they do is create an uncontrollable boat and burn everything up. I try to warn 'em but whatcha gonna do?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

You need to copy this thread to Fast Electric Rc Boating Questions and Answers
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Everybody that buys my Micro boats is obsessed with wanting to run them on 4S. All they do is create an uncontrollable boat and burn everything up. I try to warn 'em but whatcha gonna do?
    I need to get one of your mini's one of these days
    I have lots of small 2200mah 3s packs
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

But it's easier than learning to drive better or testing setups or learning how to do some prop work or learning.........
    LOL see a pattern?
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I thought I did post this in that section. I must have been half asleep this morning lol... maybe a mod can move this to that section for me. I don't want to make duplicate threads. I

BL55 I do agree that people think the only way to hit 50mph is with more more voltage and not testing props or even messing hardware and cg adjustments.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I thought I did post this in that section. I must have been half asleep this morning lol... maybe a mod can move this to that section for me. I don't want to make duplicate threads. I

BL55 I do agree that people think the only way to hit 50mph is with more more voltage and not testing props or even messing hardware and cg adjustments.
    yeah, I am one who thought this until some here wised me up and told me to work on setup first vs more volts
    I picked up 8-10mph over stock in my UL-1 with a good setup and different prop
    but I have run it on 5s with the setup now and holly

They are a blast. Those are the packs I use in my velocity mono

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    But it's easier than learning to drive better or testing setups or learning how to do some prop work or learning.........
    LOL see a pattern?
    Def agree with that one

yeah, I am one who thought this until some here wised me up and told me to work on setup first vs more volts
    I picked up 8-10mph over stock in my UL-1 with a good setup and different prop
    but I have run it on 5s with the setup now and holly
    I was the same way until wised u which is kinda y I started this thread to maybe educated people better like the way we were when we started.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Mini Boats

Any time! We give OSE members a 10% rebate right now on regular priced items. The Velocity Cats are on sale for $209 due to overstock. When we reorder they'll go back to $229. Some exciting news coming along later this summer about some upgrades also.

I'm offering the
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I think this was moved here from q and a section

Quote Originally Posted by Alexgar View Post
    I think this was moved here from q and a section
    I guess I did post it in the other section then. I wonder why it got moved though. This isn't just about batteries but setup in General.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Cool

Great thread, unfortunately those who need it the most don't seem to be participating....hopefully they are lurking.

I see the same thing, but it goes farther than just running too many cells. I see folks trying to get SV27s into the 50s and a few get there...but so what? The boat is uncontrollable and ends up flipping too often, this is fun? A 24" to 27" boat going 50 mph is in most cases not a boat but a low flying plane. Maybe a lot of this stems from ED problems or similar inadequacies - who knows but it seems that if some folks don't get their boat airborne they think they are lacking in the "size" area...

High power like 6S belongs in larger boats. Unless the small boat owner is using 6S to lower the amp draw for the same speed he had with 4S (a smart thing BTW), 90% of boats under 33" shouldn't run 6S or higher cell counts. If the boater is serious about higher cell counts and higher speeds he's "gonnna need a bigger boat". He'll be a lot happier with the result.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

awhile back I asked in a thread, "why does every one want to run 6s in a 4s hull"? the pm I got was " because it sounds cooler."

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Great thread, unfortunately those who need it the most don't seem to be participating....hopefully they are lurking.
    As long as they are reading and hopefully soaking up some good information, that's what really matters. We all know the ones who will ask if it can be done, we say know they do it burn it up then ask what happened. Hopefully we can stop the burn up part. A lot of the setups I am reading are just ticking time bombs and will fail in a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    awhile back I asked in a thread, "why does every one want to run 6s in a 4s hull"? the pm I got was " because it sounds cooler."

It's cool up until the part when their boat goes up in

Then the
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

[QUOTE=Fluid;303972]Great thread, unfortunately those who need it the most don't seem to be participating....hopefully they are lurking.[quote]

I'm lurking, I agree with all that's been said, I really think that maybe I should have bought a rtr and learnt how to set it up to get it's full potential before building my own set up's but It's just not the way I went. I've found very quickly that it doesn't matter how much money you pump into the boats or even how much time you spend reading thread after thread, "Money can't buy knowledge & Experience".

I have been over this topic so many times that this may the last time I type it, next time I will c+p it.

I use 6S in a hull that most will say is 2S or 3S. Why is that ?
    I have run a very successful setup in this hull at 3S with the esc getting hot.
    I double the cell count, well actually go from 3S2P to 6S1P, and fit a motor that is half the kV with the same esc and guess what? similar performance but bugger all heat.

I work out what power (W) I need in a hull and then work from there to choose the lowest Amp draw I can for my begining estimate. This will take more cells but as the A is low I can go with a high C on the cell and a lower mAh.
    Trust me on this, it works, and well !!

The important thing is that you need to know what Power(W) you will need for your hull and this can take some reading or trial and smoke to determine.

I run a mini/micro 35mph rigger on "3S" and a bigger XL powered 65mph rigger on "4S"

That is all from me for now.

Power(W) = VxA then it is all kv x V and then A/mAh times V..
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

Quote Originally Posted by Simon.O. View Post
    I have been over this topic so many times that this may the last time I type it, next time I will c+p it.

I use 6S in a hull that most will say is 2S or 3S. Why is that ?
    I have run a very successful setup in this hull at 3S with the esc getting hot.
    I double the cell count, well actually go from 3S2P to 6S1P, and fit a motor that is half the kV with the same esc and guess what? similar performance but bugger all heat.

I work out what power (W) I need in a hull and then work from there to choose the lowest Amp draw I can for my begining estimate. This will take more cells but as the A is low I can go with a high C on the cell and a lower mAh.
    Trust me on this, it works, and well !!

The important thing is that you need to know what Power(W) you will need for your hull and this can take some reading or trial and smoke to determine.

I run a mini/micro 35mph rigger on "3S" and a bigger XL powered 65mph rigger on "4S"

That is all from me for now.

Power(W) = VxA then it is all kv x V and then A/mAh times V..

I am not against people running 6s at all, I have/had 6s setup like most people here. My reason for making this thread is you have a lot of brand new people first FE boat first time with lipos (brought into the field because of the spartan) and are attempting to/wanting to run 6s on every single motor they look at. They don't want to run or try anything else other than 6s, BL55 hit it perfect when he said people think they need to run 6s to hit 50mph....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I started out in RC with the Brushless Traxxas Emaxx 4wheel drive truck which requires 6s1p (two 3s packs in series). With a few of those 3s packs on hand I thought I would build a FE boat around them. I finally did build the Phil Thomas SS 20 using 6s1p (nue 1515 1.5y 1500kv, Mamba Monster Max air cooled esc). It ran fast and never a problem,but run time was a little short.

I think Traxxas is the reason for most of the 6s1p boat setups. Most every brushless Traxxas car/truck uses 3s or 6s.
    Last edited by detox; 04-12-2011 at 06:25 PM.

yeah, depending on application, 6s can be good
    but traxxas seams to push the 6s as the only way to go fast
    I have a ERevo that will do 60mph on 4s

its easy, there are a ton of airplane and truck guys with 3s packs. I get this question all the time. I get an email like "can you suggest a setup for this boat". I suggest a 4s setup and they say, "well I have 3s packs, what about a 6s setup".

6s is great. Sure its lots of power. But a 6s setup in a 33" boat(like the Delta) with the right prop can run a a low current draw and for a long time with not to much stress on components.

The real problem right now is the Traxxas. Traxxas suggested 50mph in their boat with 6s power. The high kv of the motor in that boat, coupled with the size of that boat are just to much for that motor. They must have done their testing of that boat on a cold winter day. :-)
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    The high kv of the motor in that boat, coupled with the size of that boat are just to much for that motor. They must have done their testing of that boat on a cold winter day. :-)
    What is the kv rating of the Spartan motor? Maybe just adding a lower kv motor and larger prop is the answer to Spartan reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Maybe just adding a lower kv motor and larger prop is the answer to Spartan reliability.
    It would help.

I run 4 5 6 s and all build to the voltage I had 6s on a xl in a 36 sound like a hk pursuit to optimistic and grossly underpowered

Kv is like 1600-1700 I still would hurt to put a larger motor

This is very well said; thanks for bringing it up. I've wanted to post something like this myself. Sure, going "faster,faster" is on most everyone's agenda, a high percentage being in the rtr category, but there's a right way to do this (and most obviously a wrong way). Going from a 4S setup to 6S without the proper re-tuning gains one, very likely, a membership to the "ZSP/WTS" Club {Zoom,Splash,Plop/What's That Smell?}. I have a boating buddy that embodies this principle, and the guys at the lake call him "Mr. Rowboat" ' cause he has to row out to retrieve his boats just about every time he gets them in the water. It's frustrating trying to convince newbies (or anyone else for that matter) that a solid build, well tuned is a highly desirable and very rewarding way to enjoy the hobby. For those, like myself that've "been there-done that" it becomes rather frustrating when we, with the best of altruistic intentions, try to impart the wisdom gained by our own foolish, costly mistakes. Another thing that lots of the ZSP/WTS crowd doesn't realize is just how hard water becomes as speeds increase, especially in the 60+ realm. Tears the sh*^ out of the boat doing those charming pirouettes at that velocity ! Of course I'm a little biased now that I've been bitten by the racing bug, but my personal philosophy is that your boat ain't done until it can do 6 laps on the 1/6 mile whether you race or not.
    I guess I'm preaching to the choir here, and like Jay said, those that need it most may not be reading this. To each His own, I guess !

( Oh, BTW, the KV chart that I posted was first posted by another member, I just re-posted it). Good stuff 'tho !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast