Thread: Spartan Motor Rotor?

Default Spartan Motor Rotor?

Is this normal?

not a great photo but is it normal?

given the number I have looked I haven't found one that was balanced and "normal"
    But that one is definitely not normal or at all ok.
    Was there any black fiberglass floating around the motor can or attached to the copper windings?

no filings, just weird looking but i have no idea what they r supposed to look like

they look like that cause they are built from many small magnets that are glued together by expoxy/fiberglass.

I tried static balancing my rotor buy its near imposible because there was always a magnetic pull that would make it imosible to balance. If you whant to balnce it it must be a dynamic balance.

so that metal strip is where the epoxy melted or is it supposed to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Jack View Post
    they look like that cause they are built from many small magnets that are glued together by expoxy/fiberglass.

I tried static balancing my rotor buy its near imposible because there was always a magnetic pull that would make it imosible to balance. If you whant to balnce it it must be a dynamic balance.
    No, it is one magnet hence it is a 2 pole motor. What your thinking of is a 4 pole motor that has two independent magnets, 2 Norths and 2 Souths.

The rotor is wrapped with a fiberglass epoxy to prevent the rotor from flying apart at 35,000 rpms

Agreed on the balance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun78 View Post
    so that metal strip is where the epoxy melted or is it supposed to be there?
    The epoxy flaked off or was not there to begin with. the metal strip is the magnet.