Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Destroyed in one second! Traxxas quality control thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Is that a FG hull Eggy??? I tought only plastic hulls were supposed to do that....at least according to most opinions on here...
    Many different material boats will break at 50mph. I'm not engineer but the force involved with a 6-7 pound boat crashing at 50mph much be rather strong!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Is that a FG hull Eggy??? I tought only plastic hulls were supposed to do that....at least according to most opinions on here...
    Yes it was a FG Bandit Boats El Lobo IV. It was at about 50 in the front straight just before turn 1 when bam!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

yea traxxas does let some quality issuses get by them. such as today i was puttin some decals i bought and i noticed that the graphics on sides of the bottom hull arent even on my boat on side without the water outlet the graphics go all the way up 2 the bottom of the top hull but on the side with the water outlet they only come up a quarter of the way up the side. i have seen in some pics that others are the same but i have seen other that the graphics are even on both sides but idk just rambling i guess

Quote Originally Posted by dayne View Post
    yea traxxas does let some quality issuses get by them. such as today i was puttin some decals i bought and i noticed that the graphics on sides of the bottom hull arent even on my boat on side without the water outlet the graphics go all the way up 2 the bottom of the top hull but on the side with the water outlet they only come up a quarter of the way up the side. i have seen in some pics that others are the same but i have seen other that the graphics are even on both sides but idk just rambling i guess
    That's just so your can go faster!!!! Less weight more aerodynamics....:-)

May you got some vacuum in the boat? Did you attatch the hatch with tape? The phemomenon is described here, unfortunatly only in german (the text on the right side)
    http://www.gundert-modellboote.de/katalog/x152.jpg

They say, that if your boat is hemetic, possibly the prob sucks the air out of the boat (via the tube) which will cause the behavior you showed us. To avoid that they suggest to link the tube with fuel line to the outside of the boat.

Just an idea.

I didnt read the link. But it sounds like it refers to a fuel powered boat. And the engine might be sucking all the air out and causing it to implode?

I don't know how this would be on a FE boat.

Interesting tho
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Yes it was a FG Bandit Boats El Lobo IV. It was at about 50 in the front straight just before turn 1 when bam!
    Bandit boats were known for their not the best quality of hulls. I had a shovel nose that went all soft pretty fast. I had to do alot of reinforcements.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hello JPriami, it refers definatly to FE-Boats.

The fule tube is not used for real fuel for nitro racing, it is used to transfer air from the tube on which an outlet for grease/oiling is applied to the outside of the boat. This shoult prevent the situation that the prop sucks air via the tube out of the boat. With the line installed the prop sucks the air from outside of the boat via the tube, so no vacuum can occure. In case of flipping the boat the outlet of the fuel (air) line must be positioned, maybe on the transom, in a place which is above the waterline, even if the boat flips.

The whole phenomenon occures because the will be suction on the frontside of the prop which continues through the tube to the inside of the boat.

I don't own this boat, but I do have a little Traxxas Blast that is currently my rescue boat.

When I first had the boat, I knew nothing about the hobby and proceeded to run a 5000mah pack on the UNCOOLED brushed motor for 20minutes and burned it up. Traxxas repaired it for free, and sent me a cooling kit to boot.

Then I sank it once, and burned out the ESC. They fixed that too for a nominal charge, even when this was completely my fault.

You get what you pay for in terms of buld quality with these RTRs, but so far I've been very impressed with Traxxas customer service.

It pays off for them, since because of the great service I bought a Slash truck for my son. (Try as we might to destroy that one, the darn thing just won't break...)

Chief

Most people here would agree with you that traxxas has had great service over the years, but the problems with launching a product that has not been finished nor fully tested, Is another thing.

The spartan was not ready to be launched, but was launched anyways with over heating problems. and unrelaible electronics.

Well, well, well...... Another hull failure. Not as dramatic as Justin's but a failure non-the-less. The right side of the deck has detached from the hull. I don't mind following Jutin's lead but this is a bit much

Lets see

Can't say for sure, but it definitely looks like it hit something in the video.

I ripped a good chunk of the transom off a smaller fiberglass boat going substantially slower than this just by hitting a twig. It's a HK Small Bolt that was only at about 2/3 throttle.

yeah looks like you hit something. Ive had that happen on one of my cats. on the rudder. But it just messed up the rudder.

Then on a hydro that ran into the bank gone wild. busted the transom. So I fixed it then made a aluminum plate to make it stronger that spanned the whole back of the transom.

Oh I saw the twig that I hit AFTER I hit it.. D'Oh! Didn't see it at all before though. It was about 1/4" diameter and about 18" long.

I put lite ply reinforcement on the inside of the transom and epoxied it all back together, including thin epoxy to seal the gelcoat down.

Looks and sounds like you could have hit a "roller" and stuffed it...JMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12