Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balloon Receiver- Or Chemicals No More

6 rolls of the silicone repair tape here for $28 including shipping:

http://prostores4.megawebservers.com...art_id=1546522
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    Try the .99 cents store I just found them there for some whacky reason. I grabbed them all! LoL.
    WE have the Dollar Store, Dollar Saver, Big Lots, but nuthin called the .99 cent store. Dang!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

99 cent stores only in California, Nevada, Arizona, and Texas. Bummer.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    i have used the non conductive epoxy before on my reciever board being careful not to get it near the crystal or the 3 pins for the plugs, but with all the low priced 2.4 stuff that is around i was thinking why not just put a few extended harness for 1.2.3 channels and encase the entire reciever in the non conductive epoxy and have a nice little receiver cube and never have to worry again
    That's exactly what I did for the receiver in my airboat - opened the case to a cheap HK OrangeRX Spektrum-compatible receiver and loaded both halves with clear silicone, plugged a couple servo extensions into the board for the channels I needed to use, then put the board back in the case and closed it up. All that was left was to clean all the silicone off the case that pooched out through the seams when it was all pressed together. Air/water tight.

And then I just bought a can of plasti-dip yesterday and used that on the speed control board, conveniently able to leave the heatsink exposed too. Works great for me.
    [B]/ Custom Carbon Composite 28" Mono (Video)
    Sprintcat 29 (Mid-Build) / Blackjack 29 V3

Diesel;
    I used to work F-4's at one time when I was in the AF.
    Believe me, with out F4 Tape, those hogs would still be on the ground.

hey diesel have u ever done the coating on servo innards? it would be nice to have a waterproof servo . considering traxxas has their supposed wp servos that most arent as i have had one fail on my summit because of water getting into a steer servo . any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by madmorgan View Post
    hey diesel have u ever done the coating on servo innards? it would be nice to have a waterproof servo . considering traxxas has their supposed wp servos that most arent as i have had one fail on my summit because of water getting into a steer servo . any advice?
    Haven't tried the servos... I guess I have another project to try lol. Ill tear apart a spare servo and see what I can figure out one of these days. On a positive the rx and esc's I have waterproofed have been running flawless (knock on wood) since.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Conformal coating works well too http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-S...7255249&sr=8-2, I get it from Frys. I've also got a GPS that's been encapsulated in casting epoxy and it's worked perfect for the last couple of years, saw the Traxxas guys with one done this way. And for the servos I've started using the new waterproof Hitec ones, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-HS-564...item58919fb29d

IMG_1492.jpg

The acrylic would be a little stronger than the silicon, http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/419b.html. There's also a stripper if you need to remove it for any reason.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but this is "rubber tape" used for electrical splicing up to 600V. I'll have to try this on a 200A Birdie ESC I need to WP.

Anyone ever use a hot glue gun? Seems like it may make a nice coating.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I find it so easy --and effective-- to simply give my ESCs an overnight soak in CorrosionX, I've never tried any other means of waterproofing. If only the stuff didn't smell so damn bad.... :-)

Take it easy,
    desmobob

I have been using Heavy Duty Liquid Nails and then I go over it with Plastic Dip. Been working fine so far. Not the prettiest but gets the job done. Here is one that I just did and is drying. Takes about a day. Then I will put on the black Plastic Dip with a brush, both to seal once again and so it doesn't look so freak'n ugly

Sure seems with all this work a simple plastic box and sealed around the inlets and wires would be just as good. You are already killing any possible air cooling the ESC may need and you are now keeping that heat in. Water alone is not getting all this heat out. Just my 2 cents...they make tons of different size small plastic boxes with snap lids...even small tupperware boxes are aire tight. Not sure you are looking for total submerging or just somethig to keep most water out if you blow a lid off. US plastics and others have any size box you can think of with snap lids. I prefer not to put all that stuff in an ESC if I ever have to get back in to it. KISS is what I like.
    Last edited by Jeff Wohlt; 01-25-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmorgan View Post
    SUCCESS! I waterproofed the control board on a servo, converting a video now and will upload to youtube tonight. The video is a servo, rx and esc all working submerged. The esc is hooked to a edf fan/motor.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Video posted. Tomorrow i'll try to put together the how-to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrebSIwFSvE
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Looks like another spammer got in here! DROP HIM!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Rust-Oleum Leak Seal is the new great way to dip and seal electronics! Easy and cheap and may be removed if need. Walmart!

Default leak seal

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    Rust-Oleum Leak Seal is the new great way to dip and seal electronics! Easy and cheap and may be removed if need. Walmart!
    It's in an aerosol can? How can you dip in that?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Just use the traxxas RX boxes and be done with it. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-3628 I submerged one of these in a 5gal. bucket for a week and it had zero water in it and you don't need to peel all that crap off your Rx if you need to do something with it. Steve is out of stock on them at the moment but there are lots of places to get them.

You really don't need extensions. Covering the pins while coating with DP270 or other is fine. If the connector and pins get wet, it's no different than the extension getting water in it. Just blow them out after a water incident.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    i have used the non conductive epoxy before on my reciever board being careful not to get it near the crystal or the 3 pins for the plugs, but with all the low priced 2.4 stuff that is around i was thinking why not just put a few extended harness for 1.2.3 channels and encase the entire reciever in the non conductive epoxy and have a nice little receiver cube and never have to worry again
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    It's in an aerosol can? How can you dip in that?
    Dip it! It comes in a small can. There is a spray too. Stuff works great and can be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Just use the traxxas RX boxes and be done with it. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-3628 I submerged one of these in a 5gal. bucket for a week and it had zero water in it and you don't need to peel all that crap off your Rx if you need to do something with it. Steve is out of stock on them at the moment but there are lots of places to get them.
    Not everyone has that much room to put a box in their boat. That box would not fit in any MiniCat boat nor in any mini rigger or mini hydro or mono. Plus it just adds unnecessary weight.......

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    You really don't need extensions. Covering the pins while coating with DP270 or other is fine. If the connector and pins get wet, it's no different than the extension getting water in it. Just blow them out after a water incident.
    Correct. But you can even dip past the connections if you wanted to I guess.

You can also apply over already sealed shrink tubed devices like a PisStix instead of dipping too as the shrink tubing is already great water protection. Take a toothpick and apply a little over the existing wires and it will conform easy. Dries evenly also. I'm really loving this stuff, so easy to use and works great and is flexible enough to last stress but not easy enough to scratch off or crack.

CAM00594.jpgCAM00595.jpg

I have used hondabond (high grade silicon...much better than regular silicon) to seal the end of heat shrinked items...so far so good. On my receivers and escs i used clear general purpose two part epoxt from walmart. thin coating. then i usually put dielectric grease on the connections.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Conformal coating works well too http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-S...7255249&sr=8-2, I get it from Frys. I've also got a GPS that's been encapsulated in casting epoxy and it's worked perfect for the last couple of years, saw the Traxxas guys with one done this way. And for the servos I've started using the new waterproof Hitec ones, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-HS-564...item58919fb29d

IMG_1492.jpg
    Hi Oscarel would this servo work set up as dual servo's on Zenoah style outboard linked with arms together push-pull

attachmentQWTHMTQJ.jpg

I had a 10th scale hydro that always had water in the tub ..mitch dillard at hsc makes these little tubs for t120 size esc that work great
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12