Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balloon Receiver- Or Chemicals No More

Default Balloon Receiver- Or Chemicals No More

I have been using something that is better and easier and lasts longer than a typical balloon for my receivers. No chemicals to add and it's easy to put on and remove, no residue. It's self bonding water and air tight. It's chemical and UV resistant also. Temperature range is -60°F to 365°F. It's easy to apply and easy to remove.

It's tape by 3M called Professional All Weather Electrical Tape. Model 2575-Black. Best thing also it's like $3.00!

Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    I have been using something that is better and easier and lasts longer than a typical balloon for my receivers. No chemicals to add and it's easy to put on and remove, no residue. It's self bonding water and air tight. It's chemical and UV resistant also. Temperature range is -60°F to 365°F. It's easy to apply and easy to remove.

It's tape by 3M called Professional All Weather Electrical Tape. Model 2575-Black. Best thing also it's like $3.00!

Try it.
    thats good stuff.
    But how do you seal the wires? Any pictures of a sealed rx?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    thats good stuff.
    But how do you seal the wires? Any pictures of a sealed rx?
    I already thought of that. If you cut a small length, about 5mm you wrap between and then around the wires (I use short extension) and that seals that off.

I'll make a pic soon.

Here is a pic. of my wrapped receiver. One layer. You can always add more as it contours to any shape and is self sealing with a little finger pressure, it will allow you to shape it around any angle to press and seal. It's soft like a rubber balloon but not sticky. It's pretty neat material.

http://cid-ace3bbbe72a55299.photos.l.../IMG^_0091.JPG

Where do you buy it? Googled it and didn't come up with a source.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Where do you buy it?
    Walmart.

I have used this stuff called F-4 tape before. We use it in aviation on jet engine wire harnesses. Worked great but looked ugly lol.... Same concept and it ONLY sticks to itself which is pretty cool. http://www.amazon.com/Harbor-Product...2050266&sr=8-9

I now use this stuff on ALL my rx's (exception is spektrum "mr" series)
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFMQ8wIwAA#

I got mine at Harbor Freight for about $3, I also use it on my Hifei esc's and on my eagletree as well as rx. I once had my tactic rx fully submerged for about 10ms and still using it today without an issue. The stuff I use is clear and it did not effect the bind button on the tactic rx's. All i do with a rx is place a piece of foam over the plug in's and spray2 or 3 coats. I spray 1 coat wait 15ms then the second coat wait 15ms then the final coat and let sit overnight. I take the rx's out of there casing and spray directly to the circuit board, then put everything back together and works like awesome and you can't tell anything was done to the rx. On the hefei esc's i cut the stock heat wrap off of it and coat them then rewrap them with the wide clear heat shrink steve sells. Looks factory, but fully waterproofed!
    This heat shrink works PERFECT for the Swordy 200s.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 04-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    I have used this stuff called F-4 tape before. We use it in aviation on jet engine wire harnesses. Worked great but looked ugly lol.... Same concept and it ONLY sticks to itself which is pretty cool. http://www.amazon.com/Harbor-Product...2050266&sr=8-9

Thats self vulcanizing tape. Been around since the late 60's. I like it too. Wouldnt do a repair on my SeaDoo wiring without using the stuff. Typical NASA/ Space effort technology being used in aerospace/aviation sector. Gawd. Those were some good years for techno advancement. They set the pace. Yeah, some good stuff came out of it but if they didnt set the benchmark back then no one would have even bothered to get where we are today.

Gonna have to keep my eyes open next time in wallyworld. Might have to replace my current inventory of tape due to age.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    Thats self vulcanizing tape. Been around since the late 60's. I like it too. Wouldnt do a repair on my SeaDoo wiring without using the stuff. Typical NASA/ Space effort technology being used in aerospace/aviation sector. Gawd. Those were some good years for techno advancement. They set the pace. Yeah, some good stuff came out of it but if they didnt set the benchmark back then no one would have even bothered to get where we are today.

Gonna have to keep my eyes open next time in wallyworld. Might have to replace my current inventory of tape due to age.

John
    I think it got the nickname F4 tape from the old F-4 Phantoms which where maintenance hogs, and required A LOT of the tape lol so the legend goes at least. Not sure how true it is but that's the story I heard in the aviation world.... I love that stuff!

We also have A.I.D.S in aviation... Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I use Glad Cling Wrap to wrap my RX.

Chief

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Two other things to try:
    Plastidip your RX, I've done this successfully on 2 RXs and a water cooled ESC. Paint the plastidip all over the circuit boards and then wrap in self amalgamating tape.

Alternatively buy a cheap plastic project box (I use Maplins in the UK) cut a slit in one end for your servo connections to enter. Put your RX inside using foam double sided tape. Use silicon sealant to make a seal on the lid and around the servo leads. Stick it in place in the boat using the same silicon or double sided tape.

I'm currently using the second method and after Sundays capsize my hull was completely full of water, no adverse effects though!

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post

John
    That's what I know it as, we use it on all the wire harness plugs on our helos. We use another purple gooey tape under the vulcanizing tape to make it waterproof.
    Real men have shafts.

Can't seem to find the tape at Walmart. I found it at NAPA for $21 a roll! Passed it by. Gonna keep looking!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    I use Glad Cling Wrap to wrap my RX.

Chief
    Whoops sorry-- I meant Glad Press and Seal wrap. Had a RX completely submerged for 4+ hours once and came out dry...

Chief

Can't seem to find the tape at Walmart. I found it at NAPA for $21 a roll! Passed it by. Gonna keep looking!
    Check Walmat again. The one I posted I dont see anymore on the shelves but if you go to the faucets section they have a different one there now but same principle. I'll try to find what the other (new) one is and who it's made by. $21 what a rip!
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 04-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Great minds think alike bro!
    I've been using this stuff for about 2 years now and love the fact that you really don't see it on anything you spray it on, and it so easy to do...
    I had my T29 full of water last year and all I did was blow out the rx to get rid of the excess water, and tossed my T29 back in the water and ran again
    I have the clear version
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Ok at Walmart it's called Peerless model SBP2493 SealWrap Repair Tape. It's $6.27. I also looked at Home Depot and they have a version by Scotch called Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape and it's #2228 and it's $8.97. The specs on both seem to match the same application as from my first post but I have not used either but they are self adhering.

Hmmm, it's not on Walmart's website. The other is not on Home Depot's site either. Must be a local option at your stores.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Hmmm, it's not on Walmart's website. The other is not on Home Depot's site either. Must be a local option at your stores.
    I can never find anything on Wally Marts site
    but it was on the shelf
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I went to Wally World and looked and asked and they didn't know what I was talking about.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I went to Wally World and looked and asked and they didn't know what I was talking about.
    Oh man..
    I know they keep the black on the shelves all the time her in Colorado
    maybe ACE

I never ask Walmart people anything. They are the worst. Many of times I find items and ask about it, and I usually get "we don't have it" or the best one is "I've never seen it". Well just cause you never seen it dies not mean you don't have it! Just means YOU have never seen it. They carry so many items I look on my own. Look in the faucet department where the Teflon tape is that is used for sealing threaded lines.

Hmm, good tip about looking in the plumbing department? Haha. I just think the stores down here in Florida figure we're a bunch of retired dumbies who don't deserve to have anything very technical!

I would have to agree that the average Floridian isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer after seeing who was elected Governor. Jeeeeez!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

i have used the non conductive epoxy before on my reciever board being careful not to get it near the crystal or the 3 pins for the plugs, but with all the low priced 2.4 stuff that is around i was thinking why not just put a few extended harness for 1.2.3 channels and encase the entire reciever in the non conductive epoxy and have a nice little receiver cube and never have to worry again

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    i have used the non conductive epoxy before on my reciever board being careful not to get it near the crystal or the 3 pins for the plugs, but with all the low priced 2.4 stuff that is around i was thinking why not just put a few extended harness for 1.2.3 channels and encase the entire reciever in the non conductive epoxy and have a nice little receiver cube and never have to worry again
    Right! You can and that is how I do it minus the chemical as my receivers are so small I prefer to not put any chemicals on them, hence why I use the tape on the outside make a good seal with a servo extensions.

Use a water proof receiver box from a Traxxas Stampede VXL part number TRA 3628.
    There is no replacement for displacement, I guess I just have to Buzz it higher!

Well, after several diligent searches at the stores around here, I cannot find that tape anywhere. I tried the Glad Cling Wrap method and it did NOT keep the receiver from getting wet. I bought some of the spray stuff and for whatever reason, it destroyed my airtronics 2.4ghz receiver. After coating it, the receiver refuses to bind. I'm not gonna risk another receiver to try it again.

For now it's back to balloons for me!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Try the .99 cents store I just found them there for some whacky reason. I grabbed them all! LoL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast