Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Geico & Mystic Epoxy Hatches

Just LMK when to PP you Scott!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Do you want me to ship it Fridayish? I will box it up the day before and get a shipping quote. As I had mentioned to you, so far the things Ive sent to Canada 'eh" havent been much different in pricing as if I were to have shipped it in the states. Heck, I shipped parts to Canada that were less expensive for almost the same thing to California. Although, to Canada is just a standard shipping. Once you go expidited it doubles the price.

Once I get the shipping quote, Ill request payment. Until then Im not worried about it and to be clear, you on the original price.

Quote Originally Posted by lectriglide View Post
    Awesome Scott. I actually ordered the stock one before you "came back" into production, so I'll use it for a spare. I can run the DF29 and Jae21FE this weekend, but looking forward to getting your creation. You've got funds! Thanks for your diligence and efforts for all of us.
    Looks like your is "out for delivery" in your town

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post
    Thanks Tiqueman, looks so good I don't even want to paint it. I might have to paint my boat white.
    Oooohh, and so is yours!

Friday is good, thank you!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Friday is good, thank you!
    Please PM me your address so I can get an accurate quote.
    Last edited by tiqueman; 04-11-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Scott, honestly I would have paid $60 for the hatch. I don't know how much you're making on them versus how much each one costs you to make, but they are definitely worth the money. I guarantee you that if you put these on eBay for $60 plus $10 for shipping they would sell.

I went to the LHS and they had 2 stock hatches in stock. I almost bought one to save myself the downtime in painting it as to not run with a yellow boat and white hatch. But then I thought of the million Geicos on the water and the cheap build of the stock canopy. Why buy a stock replacement? It will just break anyways. If people want to keep the "Geico" theme they can ether paint the boat as a whole with as close of a Geico color as they can find or paint it all white or to their liking. It's not your fault the hatches break and Horizon made it impossible to match the color! All I know is that unless the water gods take my lid I will not have to worry about getting stupid with the Castle 2650 and having my boat blow over only to break another stock canopy. I know this one will take it an laugh

If people don't like your price they can go buy a stock canopy and when that one breaks and they still have to buy one of yours they will wish they had bought your in the first place.....I guarantee it!

Oh, and I agree with ray. I will not run the tupperware lid ether. I believe the designer added the tupperware lide with knowledge of the crappy canopy breaking and possible flooding the boat. With your lid there is no need to run the inside lid, unless one don't trust their own tape job. I rather have flotation in my lid too.
    Last edited by JackBlack26; 04-11-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBlack26 View Post
    Scott, honestly I would have paid $60 for the hatch. I don't know how much you're making on them versus how much each one costs you to make, but they are definitely worth the money. I guarantee you that if you put these on eBay for $60 plus $10 for shipping they would sell.

I went to the LHS and they had 2 stock hatches in stock. I almost bought one to save myself the downtime in painting it as to not run with a yellow boat and white hatch. But then I thought of the million Geicos on the water and the cheap build of the stock canopy. Why buy a stock replacement? It will just break anyways. If people want to keep the "Geico" theme they can ether paint the boat as a whole with as close of a Geico color as they can find or paint it all white or to their liking. It's not your fault the hatches break and Horizon made it impossible to match the color! All I know is that unless the water gods take my lid I will not have to worry about getting stupid with the Castle 2650 and having my boat blow over only to break another stock canopy. I know this one will take it an laugh

If people don't like your price they can go buy a stock canopy and when that one breaks and they still have to buy one of yours they will wish they had bought your in the first place.....I guarantee it!

Oh, and I agree with ray. I will not run the tupperware lid ether. I believe the designer added the tupperware lide with knowledge of the crappy canopy breaking and possible flooding the boat. With your lid there is no need to run the inside lid, unless one don't trust their own tape job. I rather have flotation in my lid too.
    Thanks for the kind words Rafael. Thats another option I may look into, adding some float to them, as long as folks are willing to run w/ out the tuperware. I think you bring up a good point. Why is the tupperware lid there in the first place, non of my other boats have one. I agree, they knew the factory hatch was fragile. I find it hard to believe in all the testing they may have done, one did not break.

Ha! I'm sure it broke and they sank a boat!! They probably looked at quality control personnel and said, "Now what?" LOL!!

I would say don't add the flotation. Let people do it on their own because if someone chooses to run a 4074 or 3674 motor, which you can now do with your lid(), it may interfere with the length of the motor. I had problems fitting the Castle 1512 in mine with the lid and the way the wires come out of the can. Don't have to worry anymore.

I say sell them how they are and let people figure out what works for them I'm going to shoot mine with a little medium expansion foam.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBlack26 View Post
    Ha! I'm sure it broke and they sank a boat!! They probably looked at quality control personnel and said, "Now what?" LOL!!

I would say don't add the flotation. Let people do it on their own because if someone chooses to run a 4074 or 3674 motor, which you can now do with your lid(), it may interfere with the length of the motor. I had problems fitting the Castle 1512 in mine with the lid and the way the wires come out of the can. Don't have to worry anymore.

I say sell them how they are and let people figure out what works for them I'm going to shoot mine with a little medium expansion foam.
    Good point

Scott,

Got my hatch yesterday! All I can say is...AWESOME! It was better than I expected and is a true fiberglass replica of the stock hatch. Well worth the money imho. I agree with JB26 I would have paid more for it. Keep up the great work and again a big THANK YOU for taking the time and investing the money to get this done. If my repair job comes out like I hope on my new damaged hull Geico I will be putting in an order for another one. Leaning towards the Cintron theme.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go Fast...Turn Right...

Scott,

Got my hatch yesterday! All I can say is...AWESOME! It was better than I expected and is a true fiberglass replica of the stock hatch. Well worth the money imho. I agree with JB26 I would have paid more for it. Keep up the great work and again a big THANK YOU for taking the time and investing the money to get this done. If my repair job comes out like I hope on my new damaged hull Geico I will be putting in an order for another one. Leaning towards the Cintron theme.
    Awesome thank you. Im glad your happy with it. Bottom line, thats all I really want. Yeah, the hatch I feel is cool. But even better is positive remarks about it. So thank you.

Whats wrong w/ the Geico? Was it one of the snow crash boats? I just read something in the "how many boats" thread

In the near future Im going to start working on some scoops. Id like to do some just as in the Cintron pic, which is just a slight mod of the existing and some like that are on the KOS C-1. So keep an eye out, I will keep the thread up to date as they become available. Im also currently working on a hatch w/ no scoops so that any kind can be added or left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Awesome thank you. Im glad your happy with it. Bottom line, thats all I really want. Yeah, the hatch I feel is cool. But even better is positive remarks about it. So thank you.

Whats wrong w/ the Geico? Was it one of the snow crash boats? I just read something in the "how many boats" thread
    Geico was the damaged boat Nor Cal Chris had. Here are a few pics. Damage is bad but very fixable just going to take my time on this one. I am in no rush to get it on the water. Just have to figure out my plan of attack.

Snow crash was just my Rio Ep. Here's the vid, the second to last shot I smack a tree in my front yard...serves me right. It was fun as hell though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AmM_kzaJJw
    Last edited by tunnelvision; 04-12-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: addition
    Go Fast...Turn Right...

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Ouch, how did that happen?
    He lost a signal on his first run and hit a wall if I remember correctly.
    Go Fast...Turn Right...

That sux.

Scott, I also received my canopy yesterday and like all the others, all I can say is it is FANTASTIC!!
    Very sturdy and fits like a glove, makes the hull seems flimsy now. Thanks again for your time and effort making this an even better boat than it already is!

Sorta, he actually turned off the transmitter and it launched wide open into a concrete piling. Bummer of a lesson.

I'll take one of the epoxy hatches. Might not be till next Friday at the latest (maybe sooner) till I can send payment but I can guarantee I'll be buying it. Cause I'll for sure need one. I ordered the boat and should come tomorrow. I've got a new castle 1520 I might put in it or I just bought a new 1518 today that might be what I decide to use. So ill need the extra room of the Tupperware lid taken out & a good hatch/canopy.
    Btw what paint works best? Or should I just take the boat to my ppg paint supplier and have them scan it to match up a color?
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Ive got a few in front of you to do so its not a problem.

Unfirtunately, three PPG dealers, Sherwin Williams, CarQuest and two gelcoat shops could not match the color. Ive spent over $100. tryingto do it and gave up. there are a few threads on the forum discussing it in length. Your welcome to try your PPG dealer. Theres another gentlman on the forum whos also tried w/ out success. He gave up as well after countless dollars. So far the 6 or 7 shops that have tried to scan it, the scanner always kicks back that its white.

Your best bet if your dead set on keeping a factory look would be to get another Geico decal sheet, go to PPG and have them mix a color as cloase as they can for you and keep it on file, that way if need be you can do touch up work.

Ok thanks. I plan on making the new deck logo to remove the gecko. Going to a print shop later this week. But I will need the other decals if I have to spray the whole boat to match. If I do that much work I might square the edges on the hull bottom too. Unless they are already in good shape from factory.

I might be able to hook you up. Let me see what they cost to make and see if they look good actually on the boat.

just out of curiosity can any one of these paint distributors sell florescent green and florescent yellow? All i need is paint of these colors that isn't water based? I can mix up my own and get it close enough for me.

I custom mixed green and yellow for my truck body and they are close enough for me. Only problem is i'm pretty sure this paint will come off since it is water based. So can i get a whatever base would be the best paint in these two colors?

This would be a solution for me.

also did you get your new topcoat? Any updates on how mine is coming along? $$ is waiting to be sent.

That looks pretty cool.
    Most auto body supply shops I deal with will mix up some paint for you. They might charge you for a whole pint of it. That could be close to $30 might be less. Ask them for single stage paint so that you can paint the outside of something and have it shiny too. Its easy to work with for this kind of stuff.
    Unless your okay with doing basecoat and a clear coat then get two stage. But you might need other chemicals like harder and reducers for the multi stage paints so that might be too much for a first timer to mess with. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    just out of curiosity can any one of these paint distributors sell florescent green and florescent yellow? All i need is paint of these colors that isn't water based? I can mix up my own and get it close enough for me.

I custom mixed green and yellow for my truck body and they are close enough for me. Only problem is i'm pretty sure this paint will come off since it is water based. So can i get a whatever base would be the best paint in these two colors?

This would be a solution for me.

also did you get your new topcoat? Any updates on how mine is coming along? $$ is waiting to be sent.
    Hatches are coming out as fast as I can make them. Two more to lay up, then Im at yours. Id say early/ mid next week.

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    That looks pretty cool.
    Most auto body supply shops I deal with will mix up some paint for you. They might charge you for a whole pint of it. That could be close to $30 might be less. Ask them for single stage paint so that you can paint the outside of something and have it shiny too. Its easy to work with for this kind of stuff.
    Unless your okay with doing basecoat and a clear coat then get two stage. But you might need other chemicals like harder and reducers for the multi stage paints so that might be too much for a first timer to mess with. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it all.
    7 auto body suppliers around here couldnt match it. Hopefully you have more success. Theres plenty of discussion of this on the hatch thread in the Proboat section. Custom colors are typically a bit more as they charge for example $25.00 off the top for custom mixing, then usually 15 to 25 for the smallest amount, because its custom, then hardener, reducer, typically becomes quite expensive for a little project. OR, if somehow they do match it, have them put it in a spray ready can. Its worth the $

I'll see what I can do on the paint. It might be a custom mix. The scanner might not give a code that will work so it wont be something I can share a code with to help you guys .
    Best part for me is if it's a little custom pint they give it to me free normally. We deal with the local shops often. I'm in auto restoration of old cars and hot rods. I used to mix paint from codes on microfish film when I was younger too.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast