Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geico & Mystic Epoxy Hatches

Default Geico & Mystic Epoxy Hatches

Production to resume after the Holidays

I finally had a couple days to re-do a mold and hatches are now ready for production. They are the same lay up as my BJ26 hatches, epoxy w/ white epoxy top coat. As of now, I am NOT offering these painted.

Heres a couple pics of the new mold. I have a few to make for some patient folks who have been waiting for quite some time. And then I can get to new orders, so right now they are a week out, maybe a little less.

As of now, Im laying up JackBlacks, tunnelvision and if kmankat is still interested.

Thank you all very much for your patience.

EDIT: PAINTING
    Thought maybe I better share how I have been painting the BJ26 hatches and been very successful. I worked out a technique and use a quality paint, and Ive yet to be able to peel mine.

I start out w/ 400 grit wet sanding. Sand the entire part, very well and very thoroughly. When finished dry it off and let it sit for a few minutes. You will see allthe areas you thought you got thoroughly, but didnt (they will still look glossy). So do it again, then when you think its done, do it again w/ 400, then w/ 600, wet. Ive been using automotive paint, the real stuff (PPG), not duplicolr etc. I use appliance epoxy for the window (black) Ace brand and have been very succesful w/ that as well. For clear I found that U-POL works very well and gives it an amazing crystal clear deep shine. If any more info is needed, feel free to ask via this forum or shoot me a PM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tiqueman; 11-30-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Rafeal, Im laying yours up in the morning and will ship out early in the week. I will contact you via PM when Im ready for PP. Thanks!

Thanks, Scott!!

Can't wait Scott! Thank you! Just pm me with the details when its ready.

Scott - please add me to the list. Been waiting too long for the stock on to be replenished.

Shwing! I'll take one!!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by JackBlack26 View Post
    Thanks, Scott!!
    Depending if its cured enough, I may ship it out tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post
    Can't wait Scott! Thank you! Just pm me with the details when its ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by lectriglide View Post
    Scott - please add me to the list. Been waiting too long for the stock on to be replenished.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Shwing! I'll take one!!!

Im going to try and crank out as many of these as I can the next couple weeks. Im not quite out of the Epoxy top coat. I think I have enough to lay up 3 or 4 more. But I did place the order for another qt on Thursday. The fiberglass shop really drug thier feet on my last order and it took it quite a while to arrive.

Tunnelvision, yours will get layed up tomorrow but wont get shipped out until probably Thursday as I will not be able to get to the P.O. until then.

Lectriglide, yours also I plan on having ready to ship on Thursday.

Ray, lets shoot for early next week shipping, as long as I dont run out of material and or get my new batch in.

As hatches become ready to ship, I will ask for PP and address via PM.

And I hope to get a few more layed up just to have stock on them as I think these are going to be difficult to keep up w/ demand. Im still not over how many BJ26 hatches I had to make, and am still making. Way more than I ever imagined.

I also am going to make a hatch that deletes the scoops, as I think I may prefer one w/ out and I also think Im going to round out the corner a little bit where the canopy meets the deck area, instead of that hard line for a little better lay up because even 4oz cloth doesnt want to stay down around that corner. Eventually I want to make some scoop options that would be an "aftermarket" type add on, and probably even make a hatch w/ a small scoop on top of the canopy, just for another something different But none of that is going to be real soon. Hopefully in a couple months.

very nice, now if anyone can find a good paint for color matching please let us all know here!

I'd like one "tiqueman". Thanks

I'll take one Scott, would be nice to have a spare before the Nat's in June.

Quote Originally Posted by shctexas View Post
    I'd like one "tiqueman". Thanks
    Your on the list. Ill get it done asap.

Quote Originally Posted by hebner View Post
    I'll take one Scott, would be nice to have a spare before the Nat's in June.
    You got it Hugh. Ill have it done and hand deliver it if your going to be at Ackerman next weekend.

Rafael, It still has some curing to do but I will probably ship it today anyway. Heres some pics, and yes, it fits w/ the tuperware lid.

Tunnel, Im laying yours up now. Heres a pic of it in its current state. Just waiting on the PVA to dry in the mold.

Sweet! Can't wait!

I would like one when you get a chance.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Wow! Those look great! A new lid will give me the opportunity to add hatch locks.

Those do look nice... I might have to get a couple myself!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I would like one when you get a chance.
    Will do Steven. I will get it out asap.

Quote Originally Posted by shctexas View Post
    Wow! Those look great! A new lid will give me the opportunity to add hatch locks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Those do look nice... I might have to get a couple myself!
    Thanks gentleman. I cant wait til I can make myself one.... orders are thru the roof right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Your on the list. Ill get it done asap.

You got it Hugh. Ill have it done and hand deliver it if your going to be at Ackerman next weekend.

Rafael, It still has some curing to do but I will probably ship it today anyway. Heres some pics, and yes, it fits w/ the tuperware lid.
    OOOOOOh, I'm getting goose bumps, that is SAWEET!!! I can wait for mine to cure a while. Don't want anything funky happening on the way to Canada!!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    very nice, now if anyone can find a good paint for color matching please let us all know here!
    If you look at your Hatch & hull the canopy is not the same shade as the hull so WTF? Who cares if when you paint it, it's not perfect. It wasn't perfect to begin with
    Nortavlag Bulc

If you look at your Hatch & hull the canopy is not the same shade as the hull so WTF? Who cares if when you paint it, it's not perfect. It wasn't perfect to begin with
    not looking for perfect, just close... have you found such a thing?

Pactra, RC5407, but Im not sure how well it will last on a canopy. Works great for touch up though. Im going to try one at some point when I can make a hatch for myself.

OOOOOOh, I'm getting goose bumps, that is SAWEET!!! I can wait for mine to cure a while. Don't want anything funky happening on the way to Canada!!!
    Yeah, I shipped 2 BJ26 hatches to Canada and had an issue with one. the epoxy topcoat developed a hairline crack along the side of the canopy. Im guessing because of the temp difference? But I dont know. Its the only issue Ive had so far, and I sent 2 in the same box at that time. No box damage etc. So yeah, Im gunna let yours cure a bit more before I ship it off.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    not looking for perfect, just close... have you found such a thing?
    Like Scott just mentioned or I'll just buy some bottles of Tamiya Acrylic Laquers and mix up a batch for the airbrush. Should be close... maybe just repaint the entire hull Tamiya Lime green and be done with it!!

Or just paint another colour...If there is another MG in our club, we need to make them look different somehow...
    Nortavlag Bulc

too bad they wernt ready when larry took off for canada aaaah. he could have shipped em from there
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Yep... You guys know Larry huh? Cool.

I miss him. He's not bringing any boats up this summer but, maybe he'll take one of my rides for a spin and help me trim them out.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post
    Sweet! Can't wait!
    Tunnel, yours is done. Just have to trim it out. Im not sure if I will make it to the PO tomorrow, so it may not go out until Thursday. Sent a PM

Lectriglide, I hope to have yours ready to be mailed on Friday or Saturday

Paypal sent!!

Got it, heres your lid. It looks as if the left side of the windshield (2nd pic) has a dent or something, its the reflection of the front face of the left scoop... shiney!!!!

Thanks Tiqueman, looks so good I don't even want to paint it. I might have to paint my boat white.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast