Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Leopard 4082 1500KV

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun78 View Post
    well then you need to to back that comment up brother........
    Max Input Volts: 25.2 volts that is per Castle for the 1520 so It cant run on 8s
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...le_motors.html
    you shouldn't talk with your foot in your mouth!
    It will run on 8s

.NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

well then you need to to back that comment up brother........
    Max Input Volts: 25.2 volts that is per Castle for the 1520 so It cant run on 8s

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...le_motors.html
    Not entirely true.... yes that's what its rated at but you might be able to get a good saw run before it goes. Just because its rated at 6s doesn't mean people don't push them beyond what they should... the results are usually very bad in the end though lol
    miss gieco cc 1518 62.1mph [/COLOR][/B] Delta Force 33" cc 1717

alright you do what you want Brushless, you r taking this to heart so this conversation is over. Me and Bosncali are close friends and were messing around. I was just stating the specs from castle so you can do what you want, its your motor.
    8s is 33.6 volts.
    Genesis (Bosncali Geico Beater) Leopard 4082 1500KV
    (63.7 MPH) Traxxas Spartan (same setup)

alright you do what you want Brushless, you r taking this to heart so this conversation is over. Me and Bosncali are close friends and were messing around. I was just stating the specs from castle so you can do what you want, its your motor.
    8s is 33.6 volts.
    Talking it to heart?
    I'm not the one telling others they cannot do something
    take a look around and see what others are acually doing before telling someone what they cannot do
    Castle motors are built better than the leopard and can take the same and more
    better to look at the NEU site for specs as the Castle motors are very close the same but built much cheaper in price
    a NEU 1521 1Y can take 38Volts (CC1520 1Y)
    http://www.neumotors.com/Site/1500_series.html
    the bearings on the CC1520 can run to 60,000rpms
    and 8s is 29.6V = 47360 unloaded rpms
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Depends on how you do the math.... a fully charged lipo cell is 4.2vlts which I'm sure you know so technically 8s would be 36.6 and equal 53760 rpms unloaded which is still under the 60000 rpms but honestly I wouldn't recomend it even though I love high rpms but a lot of those rpms get wasted. Example my tacon 4074 2000kv was my fastes speed in my mg at 63.4mph but my 1518 hit 62.1mph both on 6s and my flex shaft was slipping cause 2 runs later it ended up on the bottom of the lake and I know a lot of those rpms were wasted as well but my run times were a lot longer with my 1518 which is why I decided to stay with that motor. People tell me I'm crazy to run either motor on 6s but I still do it. Its your boat your gonna do what you want know matter what people say. Its ll about tral and error that's how I look at it but the faster you spin those the more amps they draw and the better chance you have to fry something imo

Quote Originally Posted by bbosncali View Post
    Depends on how you do the math.... a fully charged lipo cell is 4.2vlts which I'm sure you know so technically 8s would be 36.6 and equal 53760 rpms unloaded which is still under the 60000 rpms but honestly I wouldn't recomend it even though I love high rpms but a lot of those rpms get wasted. Example my tacon 4074 2000kv was my fastes speed in my mg at 63.4mph but my 1518 hit 62.1mph both on 6s and my flex shaft was slipping cause 2 runs later it ended up on the bottom of the lake and I know a lot of those rpms were wasted as well but my run times were a lot longer with my 1518 which is why I decided to stay with that motor. People tell me I'm crazy to run either motor on 6s but I still do it. Its your boat your gonna do what you want know matter what people say. Its ll about tral and error that's how I look at it but the faster you spin those the more amps they draw and the better chance you have to fry something imo
    Bro, take a look around and see others have run these motors on 8s
    3.7 per cell is how most every FE builder builds with
    and that would put me at about 47,000rpms and under a load I will be about 36-37,000rpms at best
    your Castle 1518 is a better motor than the Leopard, and why your speeds are so good with it, also the kv of that motor is better than the other and should pull less amps with the same prop
    upping the volts and going with a smaller prop can actually pull less amps than a bigger prop with less volts

But what I don't understand is why you would want t prop dwn with more rpms? To me it doesn't make sense. If your spinning all those rpms wouldn't you want to apply them? I guess thas where I get confused. I hear aot of people talking about prop slip and drawing to many amps which I guess is why you would want to prop down to avoid high amp draw but to me it also seems like there not getting applied with a smaller prop? And yes I agree the 1518 is a better motor and I only got to use 1 set of batteries so haven't really got to play with it to much with that motor but very happy with it so far. you like me seem to like the high rpms but a lot of people on here always say that is not good even ose recommends 27000-33000 rpms again not sure why? I haven't been in fe rc for all that long to understand everything. I read a lot and try to get the most frm what other people have done but I'm still gonna go my own way in the end and hope for the best and so far I think I've accomplished a lot for the short time I've been doing it. I'm not saying anything I wrote is right or wrong a lot of it is just me repeating things I've read or have tried for myself. I do also agree with you on the neu specs which I wish castle would just make there own chart but they have to be pretty close to the same since they are a sister company to eachother

Brandon, going up in rpms with a smaller prop can get the same power as with lower volts but wtih a bigger prop on 4s
    like lets say just for example 1600kv x 6s with XXX smaller size prop gets 50amps cont.
    and same motor 1600kv x 4s with XXX but bigger prop gets 75amps cont.
    so the 6s setup with the smaller prop gets you more rpms with less amp draw

but there is a fine line for hull size x kv x prop size
    to much rpms on to big a prop and smoke!

but if I did run my Gen on 8s it would only be for a few short runs just to make the gas guys pee their pants!

Lol... I think I get it.. that's what I was saying in a couple earier posts that you would just do a saw run or 2. Personaly I was always a gas guy in all my other rc stuff but with technoligy the way it is today I get faster vehicles with less headaces with electric over gas. Yeah I don't get the excitement of the little gas engine reving up whith all those rpms and all the noise but I'm not constantly tinkering with my carb to get a few more rpms or tuning it just right plus you can't even run gas boats on a lot of lakes in my area anyways so with that said electric all the way. That would still be cool to see that 1520 on 8s a little crazy but still fun to watch but honestly 60mph is more than fast enough for me but I still need to hit atleast 63.8mph just so I can have bragging rights over shaun lol. I hit 63.4 and he beat me out by .3mph lol.. then last week I hit 62.1 with my 1518 and he got me by .2mph so we are always going back and forth but he's in for a rude awakening when I'm done building my genesis with that 1518... I'm going for our record so I can talk smack to him hehe.

what prop are you running?
    I do like gas boats and cars by the way... only on Colman fuel though
    I would love a 5th scale gas 4 wheel drive street car

With my 1518 I'm running a m545 with my 4074 I was running a x642. Id love to own one of those hpi baja trucks that thing is huge!! It looks so much bigger than the 1/5 buggy. I've had every gas powered monster truck or truggy at one point but still my favorite had to have been my revo with a sirio .27 that thing was a beast. My biggest fear with a gas boat was hving it stall in the middle of a lake with no way to get it but I've found out electric doesn't make it any easier if something goes wrong lol

Default Leopard 4082 Y2 (Kv 1,500) Question

This maybe a stupid question. If you have a Leopard 4082 Y2 (Kv1,500) and you'r running it with 6s lipo, this will produce an mathematical rpm of 4.23 x 6 = 25.38 volts x 1,500 = 38,0700 rpm’s with a fully charged lipo pack. If you run it down to the minimum of 3 volts, this would 3 x 6 = 18 volts x 1,500 = 27,000 rpm. Knowing these figures, how do you figure what prop to use? Would you want the best rpm for the motor without over heateing it, best speed, longest run time, or a combination? I cannot image this is by trial and error and I find no data when I Google the question.

I use 3.7 volts and an efficiency of 85% to estimate where to start. Unless you find someone who has run the same setup, it is trial and error. In your case there are many guys that have run these setups. Now you just need to search the threads or maybe one will answer.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by barryaclarke View Post
    This maybe a stupid question. If you have a Leopard 4082 Y2 (Kv1,500) and you'r running it with 6s lipo, this will produce an mathematical rpm of 4.23 x 6 = 25.38 volts x 1,500 = 38,0700 rpm’s with a fully charged lipo pack. If you run it down to the minimum of 3 volts, this would 3 x 6 = 18 volts x 1,500 = 27,000 rpm. Knowing these figures, how do you figure what prop to use? Would you want the best rpm for the motor without over heateing it, best speed, longest run time, or a combination? I cannot image this is by trial and error and I find no data when I Google the question.
    I agree with Steven, just use the nominal voltage of 3.7v per cell in your calculations.

Or better, use the handy calculators here on OSE.

You can turn a pretty big prop with the 4082 1500, but torque roll and prop walk can start to factor in if you go too big.

The Prather 220 and 225 have been used successfully with this motor, or similar Octura props like the X642 or X645.

Some props, like Octura M series are designed to reduce lift which can help reduce prop walk.

Kevin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234