Thread: Dumas Hot Shot 3.5 Build

Default Dumas Hot Shot 3.5 Build

I started this build several weeks ago with intent running as nitro but have recently decided to go with electric. Pictures noted below shows my progres so far. Have it framed up and gonna do some more sanding tomorow. My plans are to use an OS lower unit with a Hyper Performance conversion motor plate: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-eobckOS35-5mm and the Aquacraft motor and esc package: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=dh-aqcom-2030
    Havn't figured out yet what size prop I would need to start with. Any help and tips would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!
    ML Boatworks PS295, Dumas Hot Shot Sprint 3.5, JAE 21FE, Yellow Jacket Outrigger,

More pics
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!
    ML Boatworks PS295, Dumas Hot Shot Sprint 3.5, JAE 21FE, Yellow Jacket Outrigger,

Going to leave the hull wooden. Just going to use a little darker stain. Post pics when I finish with the stain.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

On 4S we have had good luck with the 42X55 prop Looks like fun!
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Finished staining. Would it be okay to use this epoxy (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSL34&P=0) on top of the stain for the clear coat or sealing the hull?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Great post. I remember building one of these about 25 years ago! Looks like the same kit!

Finished sealing hull
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Hi Mcgrimson, I am currently building a 28.5 inch balsa/ply cladding hydroplane and planning on using the same powerplant,
    What length is this boat? and is it balsa or ply construction.??
    The Aquacraft power system seems like a good combination of performance and low current draw to me, I am a rookie in the field of motors for boats, but must say the engineering in these little outboards looks very
    Cheers for sharing your build..Stu

On the subject of an epoxy sealer, the slower drying the better, will help with a smooooother finish, are you going to spray or brush your clearcoats?? Maybe consider a 2Pot Clearcoat as they would use on cars??

ps295's are useing a octura m445 prop....i thing i am running a m445 on all my boats now
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Finally got the hull painted. Was going to leave it wooden but just didn't like the shade of stain I used against the red cowl. Since the anticipation of getting the ML Boatworks PS295 I have decided to save my new OS lower leg for it and just finish building this one in nitro fashon since I have an OS 21 lying around. I'll gladly post a final pic of it fully rigged if thread doesn't get removed.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Looks nice You will love the ps295.

All hardware installed. Just need to change prop and put her in the lake to see how she does!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

we need video's lots of video's

viddss please

Got it balanced today and waxed it. Did make it shine a little better. I didn't do no flashy paint job as I only used rattle cans to paint it with. Got a lot going on tomorow but if I can find the time I'm gona try to brake her in on the water.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Looks good!
    Fleet: 55" Quad inline T600 Cigarette boat, Twin Mean Machine, Twin T600 47" mystery mono, 4082 Surge Crusher, 1717 8s Genesis, 4074 Villain, "mini mono", 52" Bonzi, Prather Funcruiser, 2 DPI 3.5cc tunnels, 5' Styrofoam recover barge

After all the prep work of setting all the control throws on the steering and throtle, adjusting the height and angle on the outboard for a good starting point and getting the boat balanced right in the middle of the sweet spot I was ready to take her out to the lake today for a run. Got everything and walked across the street, fueled her up, radio check good, applied the starter and she would never hit. Of all the things I forgot to charge my glow heater
    May try again afterwhile
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!