Thread: Waterproofing

Default Waterproofing

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this and have had my supervee27R out two times now but am getting quite a bit of water in the hull. I can tell when the back end starts hanging low.

I have siliconed around the canopy but I think water must be coming in elsewhere UNLESS this is normal.

This can't be good for the electronics?

Thanks!
    -Brady

Get some hatch tape and most of your problems should be solved. Silicone seals never work well. Also, did you check all the hardware to make sure its tight...better yet, remove all hardware and put a bit of silicone on each.....put the boat in the bathtub and see where it maybe coming in.....put the batteries in while doing this to simulate the weight of the hull ready to run.....if theres water coming up the stuffing tube, then a bit of silicone tubing can be placed over the stuffing tube and the cable.

Thanks buddy! I will do what you said and putting it in the tub is a smart idea.

Where would you get some hatch tape?

Also, does everybody pull out the motor after every usage and spray down?

Thanks for the help - I've quickly found out that I need to run this thing at a bigger pond than my last boat, it rips!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
    Thanks buddy! I will do what you said and putting it in the tub is a smart idea.

Where would you get some hatch tape?

Also, does everybody pull out the motor after every usage and spray down?

Thanks for the help - I've quickly found out that I need to run this thing at a bigger pond than my last boat, it rips!
    you can just use elctrical tape because its waterproof. i dont ever pull the motor out number 1. because its a PITA and 2. because unless its full of water you really dont need to. you can spray it now and again with some wd40 and youre all set.

I would recommend clear hockey tape over electrical tape because I've had it leave a residue and doesn't seal as well for me. I've used hockey tape ( from here on OSE or Dicks sporting goods) for a while now and it has never failed, left marks or peeled paint.

ive never used the hockey tape, but i can tell you some rubbing alcohol will take residue off easy. plus home depot has electrical tape for .59 per roll. hockey tape is what like 10 bux or something? whichever you decide, tape is a good idea

Good call, I have lots of hockey tape here at my house!

So, you put in the batteries and tape it off and drive it. Take it off later and do it again next time. That should help, the boat handles bad once it starts getting water in the back.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    you can just use elctrical tape because its waterproof. i dont ever pull the motor out number 1. because its a PITA and 2. because unless its full of water you really dont need to. you can spray it now and again with some wd40 and youre all set.
    So Dana, you just spray the motor and leave it in you say? That sounds good to me.

What about the driveshaft? Are you pulling it out and greasing it every time like the manual says?

yes leave the motor, the sv motor is a pain to remove. as for the driveshaft i usually take it out and grease it every 3 runs. some guys do it every time but thats your call

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    yes leave the motor, the sv motor is a pain to remove. as for the driveshaft i usually take it out and grease it every 3 runs. some guys do it every time but thats your call
    Do you have any other good tips? I really am a rookie at this but am understanding it quick. I am sure the metal prop is in my future.

I had the boat ripping it up today with some chop in a large pond. First lesson learned was to let off the throttle turning into the wind. She flipped and had to wash into shore...haha

other than upgrading parts i dont have any more tips really. a prop would be a good place to start. try an aquacraft 40/52/3. also if you want the boat to get on a plane faster try a x440/2. 2 blade props have less top speed but get goin alot quicker. theyre better for small ponds.

Theres a reason its nicknamed the Super Flip!

It is a fun boat......placing the batteries in front of the motor in a V formation can really improve the handeling is rougher and windier conditions. Are you running LiPos?

Thanks for the help guys. I have 2 5000mah nimh batteries. I think they are a lot heavier than lipos but the hobby shop I got it from said they are good for a newbie like me.

I can't wait to try it when the water is like glass.

I did a bathtub test and found that my boat leaked on the transom around the stuffing tube. I sealed that with some Z-poxy, and then noticed that it only took on water when running. I suspected my water jacket, and it wasn't until I used vasoline on the o-rings when assembling the water jacket before I got that to seal perfectly.

When I ran the boat tonight, it was perfectly dry inside after about 5 minutes. I then ran it some more, barrel rolled it, and almost sank it because I didn't tape the hatch.

always tape the hatch, even on a short run.

Do you guys add more foam inside the hull to avoid the sinking? Some guys put pieces of a pool noodle inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
    Do you guys add more foam inside the hull to avoid the sinking? Some guys put pieces of a pool noodle inside.
    yes pool noodles work great! stuff a piece into the front. ALWAYS use tape.

BTW here is the tape I use. Works great and one roll will last you a long time..
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=hatch-tape

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    BTW here is the tape I use. Works great and one roll will last you a long time..
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=hatch-tape
    Cool, that's the same as hockey tape. I burn through 10 rolls a winter so it is always on hand.

I used silicone to reseal all of the components but never knew about either tightening or resealing the water jacket. That's my next bet and it should be dry soon.

This boat is a ton of fun!

Its good practice to lay a folded sheet of paper towel in the bottom of the boat, this just helps
    collect any slight drops from the water jacket etc, and stops any water hitting electrics, like everyone says tho, if you tape your hatch good you shouldn't get any water in there!

Have fun!
    Tone

Thanks for all the advice guys!

The inside of my boat is perfectly dry now every time.

Cheers!