Thread: Question about floatation for a BJ26

Default Question about floatation for a BJ26

I was wondering instead of using a pool noodle to add flotation, could I use some sprayfoam insulation. Like the kind you use to fill in cracks around the house.

i use pool noodles, they work great, im not sure about the spray foam ive heard of some having good success and others having a catastrophie on there hands some say the spray foam never fully cures so when you take the boat out in the sun it heats up and continues to expand and can possibly split your hull, if your wanting something more sophitsticated you can use the pourable foam that youget from the boat supply store its a two part that you mix together and them pour it into the hull hope this helps

Pool noodles work, and is a quick fix. I use the spray foam. Just use a little at a time and after dry put the boat in the sun for an hour or so. Then after it is fully expanded put on another layer. Do this till you feel there is enough.

I used construction foam on mine. Its light weight and is very buoyant and doesn't soak up water. I tried spray foam on a homemade boat and it expanded out of control. Besides you might need to maintenance your hull at some point and good luck removing that spray foam!!! But I haven't got any water in my boat since i started using hatch tape and plugged my antennae hole with a rubber boot. You don't need much if you put the foam up in the bow. Due to the air pocket that would get trapped. But i cut a block out that would make my boat and batteries just neutrally buoyant just to be safe!..don't sink!!!

where can i find this construction foam..ive been to lowes and ace hardware and home depot and i cant find any..please let me know where you got your foam from,.,thanks

I got my foam at Lowes. it come in 4x8 sheets and about 2 inches thick. it should be in back kinda by the heating and AC stuff. if your going to use it in a BJ-26, i found a block about the same size as the hatch is all you need. I know the guys at the hardware stores dont always know whats up, but if you ask for a sheet of foam they should be able to point you in the right area...what your looking for is the stuff that doesnt look like its made of little been bag pellets! its the pink..or blue stuff. im not sure about the color...im color handy caped!...but its not the white stuff. good luck!

Pool noodles can be cut into wedges, etc. to fit up in the nose, cut down in width to fit in the sponsons, etc. Just make the pieces a tight fit. The best part is they can be removed if you get damage where you need to get to the inside of the hull to make repairs. Can't do that with the spray foam or 2 part foam. Best part is they're $1 and the dollar store and one length will do two or more boats.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Sailr is correct. Find some without the hole in the center, more flotation, and slice it with an exacto knife to fit, do not glue.