Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: post rescue rigs here

Quote Originally Posted by DyrtyByrd View Post
    i seen some where somebody had one made from a boogie board looked very interesting anyone else ever seen this
    The links are in my earlier post #4

Here's the Villain rescuing a Deuce

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

here is my rig, just finished it yesterday, kinda overkill but it has a ton of thrust and turns on a dime, works well just pushes too much water, working on revision #2, would be nice to have something that will get to the crash site quickly...
    Attached Images Attached Images

In revision #2 try lifting the crossbar pieces with an arch to get your electronics off the water and that rescue boat should move very quickly. You will probably need to lengthen your drive train to reach your outdrives since they will be mounted lower.
    I had the same water pushing issue with my first version.

You might want to use a 45 degree fitting at the front of your sponsons to prevent pushing water against a flat surface.

You might even get that beast on plane!
    SoCal Fast Electrics|H&M Drifter S-CC1512/4S/T180A|Aeromarine Scorpion 32"- UL-1/4S/HM200A|Insane 34- CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|BK Bandit S-CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|Insane FE30 UL-1/4S/ETTI 150

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    In revision #2 try lifting the crossbar pieces with an arch to get your electronics off the water and that rescue boat should move very quickly. You will probably need to lengthen your drive train to reach your outdrives since they will be mounted lower.
    I had the same water pushing issue with my first version.

You might want to use a 45 degree fitting at the front of your sponsons to prevent pushing water against a flat surface.

You might even get that beast on plane!
    Yea that would be sweet lol, thanks for the input, i had somthing like that in mind BTW awesome job on ur rig with the lift! That thing is badace

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    how does the gaff work? do you attach something to it?
    The gaff (or "floating grappling hook" as I would describe it to others) comes with about 6' of fishing line. Simply attach one end of the line to the gaff and the other end to the ass-end to any boat ever made. Then drag the gaff around the downed boat once or twice and come back to shore. The gaff has hooked the downed boat on the first try for me every time so far. I added a special tow-hitch off of the end of my mini-c so the line doesn't get pulled into the propeller. I'll try to get some video of it in action this weekend. It's a faster setup for retrieving a downed boat than these huge, cumbersome water-plow-rescue-craft-monstrosities and like I said the whole setup fits in my boat tool bag. All you need is the $24 gaff and ANY boat.

I have a huge, rediculous PVC water-plow-rescue-craft-monstrosity that I made and I MUCH prefer my mini-c and baby duck gaff setup.

I likewise have drug my boats from behind using another boat or a fishing line and the problem I have is that I end up submerging the boat needing to be rescued more and causing it to possibly take on more water. That is why I designed the lift.

Plus have you tried to rescue a "nose up" partially submerged boat with the gaff or a push type boat. All I can say is it is not easy to do.

I use my rescue boat for our boat club so I have to be able to rescue various sized boats in any condition.

The speed of my PVC rescue boat would probably rival a stock mini C especially with it dragging a floating grappling hook behind it. After all I have over 5 lbs of thrust pushing it with dual EDFs.

It is large, but I have plans to attach wheels to it and use it as a dolly to transport all of my boating gear including the boats to the lakeside as well. It still fits in the back seat of my car.

In my humble opinion, a rescue boat should be a single purpose vehicle otherwise you will end up using it as a play boat and it will get flipped or stalled, then what do you do?

Regardless of how you rescue a boat, the best way is to always do it is from shore. Far too many people have lost their lives trying to swim to a boat that appeared to be "close enough". There have even been people that have died going out to rescue an RC boat in an inflatable boat that had accidentally deflated or got hit by another RC boat.
    Rescue boats or other devices can save lives.
    SoCal Fast Electrics|H&M Drifter S-CC1512/4S/T180A|Aeromarine Scorpion 32"- UL-1/4S/HM200A|Insane 34- CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|BK Bandit S-CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|Insane FE30 UL-1/4S/ETTI 150

very well said....and its fun to rescue with the boats!!

FE Wannabe - You have a lot of good points here and for the record, your rescue boat is the best I've seen. I haven't yet had a "nose up" boat situation while I've had the gaff so I couldn't say how well that particular rescue works with the gaff. Does your lift lower to 2' below the surface for rescues of that nature or do you just push those in?

I understand where you're coming from about having a single purpose rescue boat, I just can't justify me taking the time to load up my 4' rescue rig every time I want to spend 10 minutes on the water. Honestly, I'd rather have to retreive my mini-c by throwing my tennis ball on a string at it. Oddly enough, the rx/tx range on the mini-c is about the same range as my throwing arm.

Either way, I think we can all agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    Regardless of how you rescue a boat, the best way is to always do it is from shore. Far too many people have lost their lives trying to swim to a boat that appeared to be "close enough". There have even been people that have died going out to rescue an RC boat in an inflatable boat that had accidentally deflated or got hit by another RC boat.
    Rescue boats or other devices can save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by koshokid View Post
    FE Wannabe - You have a lot of good points here and for the record, your rescue boat is the best I've seen. I haven't yet had a "nose up" boat situation while I've had the gaff so I couldn't say how well that particular rescue works with the gaff. Does your lift lower to 2' below the surface for rescues of that nature or do you just push those in?

I understand where you're coming from about having a single purpose rescue boat, I just can't justify me taking the time to load up my 4' rescue rig every time I want to spend 10 minutes on the water. Honestly, I'd rather have to retreive my mini-c by throwing my tennis ball on a string at it. Oddly enough, the rx/tx range on the mini-c is about the same range as my throwing arm.

Either way, I think we can all agree with this:
    I agree with you as well, that PVC beast can be awkward to store and transport.
    I need to find a way to be able to break it down and assemble it quickly.

I have the ability to lower the basket up to 17" below the water line which should suffice for most nose up rescues as none of the boats we run are normally longer than 34-36".

I think a rescue boat thread should be made a Sticky so that beginners don't have to learn a lesson the hard way.

Default Apache proboat rescue rig

I kept it pretty simple and made the pvc part of the hull, never planned on doing anything else with this boat.......best one in the whole fleet, never have had to work on her...lol

Default My Rig

I guess I'm just not as cool as you guys!!
    Paddle boat
    Last edited by wrongway; 03-26-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Here's my rescue barge in action. all scratch built, running a 60T crawler motor direct drive to stearable outdrive and a 40A proboat ESC. It is the boat that has the most wet time of the whole fleet. It also fits right behind my driver's seat with the forks on the floor and leaning against the back seat, wedging it up in the air - very convenient and goes every trip. Construction foam and styrene tub - unsinkable, and pvc with pool noodle for booms. The lid keeps water out. I am still thinking on how to upgrade it, but it keeps working and saving FE pilots' lives.

"Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I am trying to figure out a cheap motor & esc combo for a recovery boat I am wanting to build.

What would be a cheap brushless or brushed combo to go with??
    Would like to be able to recover gas boats too so would need to be a decent amount of power as gas boats are heavy!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Default Cheap motor

I put a aquacraft 550 brushed motor and a used 35amp esc
    in a sv27 with a 42mm rio ep prop. It runs rather well. Put a cooling coil on the
    motor but it doesnt seem to need it! Runs about 15 minutes on a 3cell 3300 lipo.
    The esc I am using can be used with Nimh or Lipo by a jumper change. Total investment of

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    I put a aquacraft 550 brushed motor and a used 35amp esc
    in a sv27 with a 42mm rio ep prop. It runs rather well. Put a cooling coil on the
    motor but it doesnt seem to need it! Runs about 15 minutes on a 3cell 3300 lipo.
    The esc I am using can be used with Nimh or Lipo by a jumper change. Total investment of
    The boat I have is decently heavy as it is twice the size of a sv so might need a little more power.
    What is wanted to go twin brushed what esc to use??

You think the 550 can push 15-20lbs???
    What flex & prop are you using??
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Hi Everyone,

Just a thought. Could carbon or Aluminum arrow shafts be used
    rather than PVC? Would be much lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    What is wanted to go twin brushed what esc to use??

You think the 550 can push a 15-20lb boat?
    What flex & prop are you using??
    In real life, tug boats use large props at low speed... They have a lot of grunt. I think that's what I would shoot for. If I get anything together I'll be sure to post here.

One tip I have learned from experience is that you want thrust vectoring or a steerable outdrive. A fixed prop with a rudder makes very poor maneuverability.

Monojeff,

I used a GreatPlanes C-55 Esc. Got it used on the bay for half new price.
    Hobbyking also has a similar one for less than 10.00.

Quote Originally Posted by mickvk View Post
    In real life, tug boats use large props at low speed... They have a lot of grunt. I think that's what I would shoot for. If I get anything together I'll be sure to post here.

One tip I have learned from experience is that you want thrust vectoring or a steerable outdrive. A fixed prop with a rudder makes very poor maneuverability.
    Yeah I know but outboards are more expensive would be nice but at moment think I need to go the cheap route....
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    Monojeff,

I used a GreatPlanes C-55 Esc. Got it used on the bay for half new price.
    Hobbyking also has a similar one for less than 10.00.
    Can I run 2 for twins???
    Do you know the link for hobbyking was looking there earlier.
    This be the one?? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6468
    Not sure how to work that....

Hobby Partz has this one could I get away with using 1 for twins?
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/es50abrmoesc.html
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Yes that is the esc. My SV27 i think was around 6 pounds.
    I honestly do not know if 2 550 motors would do it for you.
    I used one 550 with a .130 cable with 1/8 prop shaft. 42mm prop.
    It would run about 25mph.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15196
    Here is a motor capable of 1100 watts. Would be a battery killer though I would think.
    Sorry i do not know much about motor sizing.

Yes you could use one esc if it is rated for enough amps for both motors.

I think for the price I would use 2 ESC's.
    One large battery.

I think twin 550's might work.
    But just not sure I can find an esc high enough rating so thats why I was wondering if I could run 2 escs.
    How would I set up the escs with a Y splitter??

I have been told a 770 motor would be better.

Yeah I am still learning on the motor sizing also.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Monojeff,

Yes I agree a 770 would be much better. You could run a larger prop.
    You need torque rather than all out speed. I think you would have to
    run 2 esc's.

Hi Guy's ,

Keeping it simple , have you ever thought of a tennis ball attached to a fishing reel . Works every time for me & no issues with electrics , just drinking arm ( LOL )

All the best in retreival ,
    Brad
    Roy Cooper's www.fastonwater.co.uk - Where Brittish Raceboat History Comes To Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcboatmanwithkids2880 View Post
    Hi Guy's ,

Keeping it simple , have you ever thought of a tennis ball attached to a fishing reel . Works every time for me & no issues with electrics , just drinking arm ( LOL )

All the best in retreival ,
    Brad
    Absolutely I use the tennis ball for most of my retrieval but when it's too far or the wind is blowing the wrong way the rescue rig comes in pretty handy.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I agree it's just as a backup.

What KV brushless would be good choice???
    Any cheap brushless motor suggestions?
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Default black jack

Quote Originally Posted by tim v View Post

had it going 47mph 6s with out the front piece on
    here ia video of it in action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xcZg..._order&list=UL
    :canada

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast