Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: post rescue rigs here

Default post rescue rigs here

as the title says.... im looking to build something simple and just trying to get some idea's... im thinking a brushed motor and nimh pack to run it....

Dana,

take a look at the one Diesel6401 has. I think he uses a Proboat Apache now 'cause it maneuvers better with the steerable drives. He has vids in action on his sig links.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=16705

yeah it looks like it works ok, but i dont want to use a boat hull, i would rather make something even more simple. also one of the things i dont like about everybodys rigs is, they all seem to act more like plows than anything. im thinking pvc skeleton with carved styrofoam hull sorta shape. i would like to make something that glides thru the water but is still capable of a rescue. im thinking something along the lines of a rescue rig like diesel has, but making the sponsons shaped a bit more like rigger sponsons, so it moves thru the water nicely. jmo

Check out the boogie board rescue boats on youtube

Ducted fan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLpHQi-456c

Brushless
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldAN..._order&list=UL

They might give you some ideas

This was my early attempt with a boogie board and packing tape it actually worked but I never used it.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Default Springer

I built A Springer Tug. Great fun to build and run. I had most everything in my spare parts bin. I attach a PVC and pipe insulation fork for rescue duties
    Attached Images Attached Images

AQ Atlantic modified with Pitman 12v and 4 blade prop.
    twin 5000 mah NiMh in parallel it runs all day

The front boom stays up until the boat gets
    to the rescue (boom in the water slows the boat down)

A switch on the Xmitter "lowers the boom"
    and the stricken vessel is pushed to the dock.

no matter where I run my boats
    everyone loves the tugboat most

go figure - a 50 mph 22 inch rocket
    (Delta Force Vortex) and they wanna
    see the tug?
    You can lie to mother Nature
    but You can not fool father Physics
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know

that looks pretty cool. maybe a little big, since i drive a civic but thanks for sharing! im interested in the yellow hydro in the pic, what is it? thanks

had it going 47mph 6s with out the front piece on
    Last edited by tim v; 03-14-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    :canada

Thanks Dana, she is a bit big but the
    boom comes off easily.

It is being fitted with a fire monitor and a kort nozzle.

The Hydro is a Graupner Tornado
    currently being fitted with a small outrunner motor.
    for use on 3s.

Tim, 47 mph with the front boom fitted?
    This I'd like to see.
    Please shoot a video of it.
    You can lie to mother Nature
    but You can not fool father Physics
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know

with out it fitted on but we will see.....lol
    :canada

Dana,

Here is a video of my PVC rescue boat with boat lift in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l43oljVXtXc

In this video I was using a single brushed motor with a steerable Apache 24 outdrive. I was using a .130 flex cable from the motor to the outdrive and I kept having issues breaking it, so I went to dual ducted fans and a stick radio so I could control the fans independently.
    I liked the idea of fans because I didn't want the rescue boat to get tangled up in fishing line or other floating obstructions.

If I was going to propel this with props again, I would probably use a separate motor and non-steerable drive attached to each sponson and use a stick radio to control them.

I use a separate channel on the radio to control the winch that raises and lowers the basket up to 17 inches below the water. The basket may seem unnecessary to some people, but I like the idea of getting an upside down boat out of the water as quickly as possible. Also, have you ever tried pushing a boat that is nose up? I have, and it does not work well; you will normally just make it take on more water.

This is fairly large, but it can easily be scaled to the size boats you need to rescue and can be pinned together for quick assembly and disassembly. I does fit easily in my 4 door sedan's back seat.

Brad
    SoCal Fast Electrics|H&M Drifter S-CC1512/4S/T180A|Aeromarine Scorpion 32"- UL-1/4S/HM200A|Insane 34- CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|BK Bandit S-CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|Insane FE30 UL-1/4S/ETTI 150

If you're looking for a reliable rescue rig without making a huge specacle of things, you might consider using a mini boat with a ProBoat "baby duck gaff". Horizon Hobby sells the gaffs seperately and best of all, you can attach them to any boat you may already have. Click the link to check out my setup, it's so small I keep the entire rig in my boat tool bag. I've tested it out, it works like a champ with very little customization necessary.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=22922

Here is my Apache rescue rig. It fits perfectly across the back seat on my 98 Civic 4 door. As you can see I notched the pvc fittings to fit the hull seams then I CA glued everything. Works like a charm and I would never run my boats without it! It's powered by a Mamba Max ESC in a balloon and the motor out of my Miss Geico. When at the lake, I plug in the ESC battery and tape the lid. It's stays on all day and only the radio gets turned on and off as needed. The boat and radio sit by the shore so anyone can use it when they need it. It puts in major work and doesn't break a sweat!

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    Dana,

Here is a video of my PVC rescue boat with boat lift in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l43oljVXtXc

In this video I was using a single brushed motor with a steerable Apache 24 outdrive. I was using a .130 flex cable from the motor to the outdrive and I kept having issues breaking it, so I went to dual ducted fans and a stick radio so I could control the fans independently.
    I liked the idea of fans because I didn't want the rescue boat to get tangled up in fishing line or other floating obstructions.

If I was going to propel this with props again, I would probably use a separate motor and non-steerable drive attached to each sponson and use a stick radio to control them.

I use a separate channel on the radio to control the winch that raises and lowers the basket up to 17 inches below the water. The basket may seem unnecessary to some people, but I like the idea of getting an upside down boat out of the water as quickly as possible. Also, have you ever tried pushing a boat that is nose up? I have, and it does not work well; you will normally just make it take on more water.

This is fairly large, but it can easily be scaled to the size boats you need to rescue and can be pinned together for quick assembly and disassembly. I does fit easily in my 4 door sedan's back seat.

Brad

Do you have a build thread on this?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post

Do you have a build thread on this?
    Thanks, I have been meaning to do one, but I have never got around to it.

This is the second of three revisions so far.
    The first version was designed as a pusher only.
    This second version I added the winch powered boat lift.
    The third and current version I widened the area between the sponsons and added the Ducted fans.

It took some time to design but it works well and is always my best maintained RC craft. It is the first boat in the water and the last to leave.

It is funny, like someone else mentioned, it gets way more attention from the public than my 62mph H&M Drifter S!

Brad
    SoCal Fast Electrics|H&M Drifter S-CC1512/4S/T180A|Aeromarine Scorpion 32"- UL-1/4S/HM200A|Insane 34- CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|BK Bandit S-CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|Insane FE30 UL-1/4S/ETTI 150

cool stuff in here. nice works

I made that one after seeing diesels
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

This was my first boat LOL and now she doubles as a mini v and a rescue rig! Cheap, easy, and it works....Plus pull it out of the pvc and its still usable like the day it was new.

Traxxas xl-5 esc
    duratrax vr3 380 motor
    2s 1300mah lipo
    ..Eagles may soar in the clouds, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines..56" P.I. Fountain /37"Genesis Cat.-1717/T-180/33" DF Copy-1717/T-180

im seeing some great ideas here guys! i love how everyone has something a little different.... im surprised none of the manufacturers have come up with a RTR rescue rig....

Quote Originally Posted by koshokid View Post
    If you're looking for a reliable rescue rig without making a huge specacle of things, you might consider using a mini boat with a ProBoat "baby duck gaff". Horizon Hobby sells the gaffs seperately and best of all, you can attach them to any boat you may already have. Click the link to check out my setup, it's so small I keep the entire rig in my boat tool bag. I've tested it out, it works like a champ with very little customization necessary.

how does the gaff work? do you attach something to it?

Springer Tug

550 motor
    2 esc- one for motor/ one for water pump
    2- 6v 4500ma SLA
    50mm 5-blade brass prop in a kort nozzle/ will turn on a dime.

I've pushed in small electrics to 60" gassers. This is my most reliable boat and probably my favorite. Gets more attention than anything else I own.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by koshokid View Post
    If you're looking for a reliable rescue rig without making a huge spectacle of things, you might consider using a mini boat with a ProBoat "baby duck gaff". Horizon Hobby sells the gaffs separately and best of all, you can attach them to any boat you may already have. Click the link to check out my setup, it's so small I keep the entire rig in my boat tool bag. I've tested it out, it works like a champ with very little customization necessary.

I can't see how this would work. Can you explain a little more?
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

i actually kinda like the duck decoy with gaff. i dunno about over 100 bux tho. maybe a mini c used and get the gaff....

Quote Originally Posted by lipdaddy View Post
    Springer Tug

550 motor
    2 esc- one for motor/ one for water pump
    2- 6v 4500ma SLA
    50mm 5-blade brass prop in a kort nozzle/ will turn on a dime.

I've pushed in small electrics to 60" gassers. This is my most reliable boat and probably my favorite. Gets more attention than anything else I own.

Ryan
    what's the water pump used for?

i seen some where somebody had one made from a boogie board looked very interesting anyone else ever seen this

Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    Im guessing to pump coolant thru the system?
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    It's used to cool the motor and esc's. It's from a swiffer wet jet and works great. It's probably an over kill, but I like to keep everything cool. Since it has it's own esc the pumps action is linear to the throttle. At low rpms there's less flow and as the throttle increases so does the flow.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by lipdaddy View Post
    It's used to cool the motor and esc's. It's from a swiffer wet jet and works great. It's probably an over kill, but I like to keep everything cool. Since it has it's own esc the pumps action is linear to the throttle. At low rpms there's less flow and as the throttle increases so does the flow.

Ryan
    ahh, makes sense with the low speed of rescue rigs...

its cool because its a jet drive, so there is no chance of getting the lines tangled in the prop. i can see how something that simple would work well

Im running a proboat apache dana, been the only boat i havent had to work on and has the steering rudder on shaft, cant beat it for the money

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast