Thread: New-bee seeking your wisdom...

Question New-bee seeking your wisdom...

Brand new-bee here. Very exciting the last week or so reading about everyone's experiences! I'm the proud owner of a TRAXXAS SPARTAN and would like to know, besides the 3s 11.1v 5000 40c(50c burst) lipo's I'm waiting for, what simple add-ons might push her to MAX TOP END! Only prop's come to mind...what size??? Learned about adjusting trim tabs from all of you...THANKS...done. What else??? Thanks again...very willing student here, promise to post all findings...REGARDS TO ALL!!! Ciao

OK here is a start.

Open up your water cooling inlet on the rudder, and increase the tubing size, drill out the water outlet as well to maximize flow. Some guys have also drilled out the barb on top of the rudder.

Some have found this increases water pressure enough the stock cooling jacket will leak. An upgraded aluminum cooling jacket is more efficient and will prevent any leaking. (540XL 36mm x 60mm size)

RECOMMENDED - Install a separate water pick up and outlet, and feed separate streams to motor and ESC. This is the option I chose to use, but there are a few other options out there. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Up-on-Spartan

For Props, I'm really leery about recommending propping up on the stock setup because of all the overheating issues guys are having, even with the stock prop.

The stock prop is 42mm dia. x 59mm pitch.
    The Prather 215 @ 40.6mmx63.5mm is a good first step up
    The Prather 220 @ 43.7mmx66mm would be a good next step, but personally I think you may have problems with this prop on stock set up. This prop should get you close to the claimed 50 mph mark.

Kevin

there is a vid of a stock Spartan on 6s breaking the 50mph mark with a X440/3
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Any chance you have a link Brushless. I'd be interested in viewing that one.

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Any chance you have a link Brushless. I'd be interested in viewing that one.
    in this video bro!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VbaoSuXG_U
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Thanks Brushless, Cool video that answers a couple questions I've been wondering about.

The three blade prop seems to work real well, almost 55 mph on stock motor and ESC.

I almost went with a 120 amp ESC, but decided for the extra vfew bucks I would go 180 amp, because I figured I might want the extra capacity down the road in a different hull.

The 120amp ESC seemed to handle that 1900kv motor (although we didn't see temps or amp draw). But I think the 120 amp might be a safe bet as an upgrade and it will probably fit the tray better.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Thanks Brushless, Cool video that answers a couple questions I've been wondering about.

The three blade prop seems to work real well, almost 55 mph on stock motor and ESC.

I almost went with a 120 amp ESC, but decided for the extra vfew bucks I would go 180 amp, because I figured I might want the extra capacity down the road in a different hull.

The 120amp ESC seemed to handle that 1900kv motor (although we didn't see temps or amp draw). But I think the 120 amp might be a safe bet as an upgrade and it will probably fit the tray better.

Kevin
    yeah, it's an interesting video for sure
    the higher kv motor on a bigger prop was only able to muster 2.6mph more??
    it could be a gps fluke on the X440/3, even being traxxas 50mph+ claim is based on a bigger prop

Default Got butter???

Thank you ALL for sharing your knowledge and the quick responses! This hobby has GREAT people associated with it and I'm proud to be a part of it!!! I promised earlier to share #'s and info with everyone...like 75 degree batteries and 106 degree ESC's and 106 to 138 motor after a few quick bursts. However, why would I tease you at this point? TOAST ANYONE??? Yep...DONE wasn't THAT hot (138)...POOF! Waiting to see what TRAXXAS will do. Might be talked into NEUMOTOR 1527 1Y with new esc. HELP...what kind of horsepower does that equate to??? looking for TOP END...LHS very willing to help. any suggestions for new guts...8-12HP??? Might as well make her SCREAM!!! Thank you STAY WET...Ciao

Where at in NC are you located? I am in Charlotte area, maybe I can help you get this thing running.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by 101onwater View Post
    Thank you ALL for sharing your knowledge and the quick responses! This hobby has GREAT people associated with it and I'm proud to be a part of it!!! I promised earlier to share #'s and info with everyone...like 75 degree batteries and 106 degree ESC's and 106 to 138 motor after a few quick bursts. However, why would I tease you at this point? TOAST ANYONE??? Yep...DONE wasn't THAT hot (138)...POOF! Waiting to see what TRAXXAS will do. Might be talked into NEUMOTOR 1527 1Y with new esc. HELP...what kind of horsepower does that equate to??? looking for TOP END...LHS very willing to help. any suggestions for new guts...8-12HP??? Might as well make her SCREAM!!! Thank you STAY WET...Ciao
    CC1520 on 6s2p

Quote Originally Posted by 101onwater View Post
    A Neu 1527 is way overkill for that boat....................may twist it up...........

The Leopard 4082 is a much better option power-wise and $$-wise. The 4082 1500kv on 6s will spin alot of prop and should hit 60..................if the hull is worthy of it.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...o-4082&cat=148
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=