Thread: Worth it to upgrade my Apache?

Default Worth it to upgrade my Apache?

I would have posted this in the proboat forum, but I wanted to get a wide variety of opinions, so I decided to post here.

I am wondering if it would be worth the time and money to try to upgrade my Apache to racing spec?

I am 75% leaning towards leaving it stock and looking at getting the Miss Geico, so that if someone that's new that wants to try RC boats for the first time, can without getting in over their heads as it were.

Not sure what to do.
    My Fleet:
    Proboat Apache 24
    Formula 1 Style Tunnel Hull (In perpetual Delay )

If I may be blunt: not worth it. I have seen many more unhappy outcomes of upgrading that hull. It was designed for teens and low 20s so pushing it will be a recipe for disappointment...

just my opinion. The MG is a great handling cat and very up to date, i.e., designed for brushless motors and lipo power!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Sorry, this has to be moved. I thought this was about the Aeromarine Apache
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    If I may be blunt: not worth it. I have seen many more unhappy outcomes of upgrading that hull. It was designed for teens and low 20s so pushing it will be a recipe for disappointment...

just my opinion. The MG is a great handling cat and very up to date, i.e., designed for brushless motors and lipo power!
    Well I am leaning towards keeping it stock, as I said in my 1st post, I can introduce someone to RC boating, without them getting in over their heads with the Miss Geico (This is assuming I get the MG).

I love my Apache...it may not be fast, but it's a great beginner boat, without which, I probably would have never got into RC boating. Even if I get the MG, there will be times when I want to go slow instead of fast
    My Fleet:
    Proboat Apache 24
    Formula 1 Style Tunnel Hull (In perpetual Delay )

All I did to my Apache was add a 35A brushless ESC (from HK), a 1300kv brushless motor (from here), a new motor-to-driveshaft coupler, some fins, a metal prop and some 2s 3000mah lipo batteries and it turned out well. Due to the added speed (about 30-35mph or so), it is more prone to flipping but it's fun as all get-out. It was a great project boat to work on while I still had my Formula Fastech to play with. Doing anything more than the above to the Apache is probably not worth the money, but those few (cheap) parts make the Apache WAY more fun to play with.

Now the Apache is as reliable as my Fastech.

Built up an Apache this past winter for my son with spare Aquacraft and Pro Boat pieces. It's a "surprising" little boat that's a blast to drive and watch as long as you don't ask too much of it. It'll let you know when that happens. There's just something about a small boat with too much motor skipping across the water on the edge of control that makes you smile. I'd do another one.

Been there done that and sold it. For what you will have to do to it and the money you will spend on it you could have gotten a better boat IE fiberglass and faster. IMO.
    Good luck to you
    Grif

Whatever you do with it, i say tear out the ESC and drive shaft. The solid drive shaft will tear your boat apart vibrating. And I've already burned through two of those ESCs on completely stock setup.

I need the stock rudder parts and steering anybody wants to part with ? thanks