Thread: Another Balance/Sharpening Question

Default Another Balance/Sharpening Question

Ok, so I figured I'd start learning how and bought the necessary tools. I put the prop on the balancer and found the heavy blade. After filing and filing and finally getting the prop balanced I was doing the happy joy joy! So I take my newly b/s grimracer 40x57 3 and compare the weight on the digital scale with the b/s grimracer 40x57 3 that I purchased from OSE a while back.

Here's the difference in weight:

Grimracer 40x57 3 (Balanced & sharpened by them)
    weight:
    152.5grains
    or
    9.89 grams

Grimracer 40x57 3 (Balanced & sharpened by me)
    start weight:
    189.8grains
    or
    12.29grams

end weight after B/S
    177.8grains
    or
    11.52grams

My query is this, looking over the two, the grimracer prop b/s by them is alot thinner and lighter than the one I did. So in seeing this, would the two props perform entirely different? Or is there a set parameter as far as how much weight must be taken away from the unbalanced/sharpened prop? I've read all the links other folks have posted about prop balancing, but none of them talk about weight of the prop or how much should be taken away. Or does it not matter as long as its balanced and sharpened? Your thoughts....
    A bizarre incident in the outskirts of an American suburb. It was later revealed the disaster was caused by the T-Virus. A mutagentic toxin created by Umbrella Incorporated for use in bio-weapon experiments. Don't worry the zombies are looking for brains, you're safe.

It is a matter of experience I think. It's good to make the propeller thin and sharp but no good to make it too thin because it will be bent easily. I have destroyed a few props since I started experimenting on them ....
    but now I think that I am on the right way.
    Testing is the only way to find out.
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

That's less than 1/10 of an oz difference - nothing to be worried about as long as the blades match and it's balanced.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I guess I will do some testing the next few days and see if there is any significance in that little bit of weight or thin/thickness.
    A bizarre incident in the outskirts of an American suburb. It was later revealed the disaster was caused by the T-Virus. A mutagentic toxin created by Umbrella Incorporated for use in bio-weapon experiments. Don't worry the zombies are looking for brains, you're safe.