Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquacraft Motley Crew Cat

I have been looking at these and waiting .. but I like the Miss Geico the best of em' .... The idea of putting a nice prather 230 on her and running mid 40's with 2, 2s lipos is awful nice.... and the fact that I have spent 10 times the asking price on a Single boat makes me like it as well...lol... think once I recoup from my last weeks purchases I am gonna buy me one!!!

Mike, I have only fixed the ones that got them from the LHS here maybe 5-6. He sold many and they are enjoying them very much now. We got the right props and they are rockets but hard to handle in race conditions.

What have I done to them: I fixed the turnfin area with cracks and tried fixing the coolers but ended up getting them from Kintec. Besides helping them with some propping changes and we did put in most of the new strut bushings I make after cutting the stuffing tube back. I know, Jay T and you hate this but it works best for us. The bushing was spinning in the stuffing tube and would eventually wear out or worse... seize up. Of course we have added some wire drives to a few.

Other than that....they are happy. I made sure they did not retun them...well we did return 2 ESCs but they were just bad from the factory.

My hobby guy knows who to call when he has unhappy customers and is now selling more boats. A couple newbies were ready to send them back as they had no idea what to do...especially at the hull cracks at the turnfin. They now love them.

That was probably my concern on some fo the RTRs. The MG is a big hit but does a lot of dancing....the AQ cat should be a good one. Most everything is the same so we know it has been tested for hardware and motors, esc, etc.

You can't throw a cat togther and stick steps on her and expect true running. More to it than that...as you know.

Thanks for asking.

Just want to clarify then..

You yourself do not own one..

But you have helped 5 or 6 people in your area? Get past some of the first issues we had with the boat.

OK.. Cool! ..Thanks

Grim

All I have to say is that if you think the glass is half full or half empty your are only half right. It is always full! 1/2 liquid the other half gasses! LOL now you can go back to your regular scheduled program.

I had one of the first but sold it after I changed a few things. Never ran but now wish I had but I had a local buyer waiting on one so I let him have it. These guys are having a blast with them. I am still hung on cats...got rid of all my hydros excpt a Classic that I still have...she runs out pretty well with an 8XL and 4S.

I think the AQ cat will do well. Several positive reports. The inner dual hull is sweet.

No, I don't bash all RTRs. Actually they have done a complete 360 compared to what we had before. So, you and Darin deserve a nice "kudos" nothing can be perfect to start out and I know you both are dedicated to the sport.

Default Something to think about

BUT.. I bet my SuperVee can beat your SuperVee...

THAT is what the intent of the boat and it has PROVEN that year after year..

The VS1 on the other hand was not designed or EVER intended for FE.. BUT.. its still a very formidable contender..

Truth is the Villian/VS1 one of the Best Sport Tunnels ever marketed.. It likely has more wins (club, district and national level) in RC tunnel boat racing then any other tunnel boat on the market. Especially for 150 bucks!.. but.. I do have to say.. the HTB 290 has a ton of wins as well.. the Mod class just does not fill as thick as the Sport class.

Make mine AQUACRAFT!

ROCK AND ROLL!

Grim

Chose your weapon
    Turn away and take 10 steps
    Turn and FIRE.. see ya at the finish line!

I don't see why people need to have a race ready boat out of the box. These are for guys just starting out and they will have a ton of fun with them. Then they will build a kick a$$ one and spend all their money with OSE. Then their wives will bitch at them, want a $400 purse or $200 jeans because they spent a bunch of money on their boat. Circle of life my friend.

Get rid of the annoying wives and do what you want,when you want.

Big

I did not know those were questions but to answer I would say no and yes..

The SV although has a single planing surface, also has a very tall freeboard. Just not good mono material. I have never considered the SV competition mono marital. Some have had fun trying and some have even had some good luck racing them.. but a mono.. na.. that its not..

The VS-1 on other hand is about the best you can buy for what it was intended for. It still wins even after 14 years off the table. (its getting quite old! lol)

Grim

im dying to see some good vid of the aquacat...... "taps foot"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    Big

I did not know those were questions but to answer I would say no and yes..

The SV although has a single planing surface, also has a very tall freeboard. Just not good mono material. I have never considered the SV competition mono marital. Some have had fun trying and some have even had some good luck racing them.. but a mono.. na.. that its not..

The VS-1 on other hand is about the best you can buy for what it was intended for. It still wins even after 14 years off the table. (its getting quite old! lol)

Grim
    14years!!
    dang

hey Grim, what would be a great prop to start with on this new Cat?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Our 4255 is gnarly on the boat.. I have ran 47 to 50 with that prop on the boat.. BUT.. its a cat.. They are hungry.. You are going to be chomping at the amps!

Still.. the 4255 DO WORK!

Grim

Just blows me away that those ESCs are so tough!! A buddy was running the 60 amp version with a BJ cat and 2300 (7xl) motor and 4s with all the way up to 445and never had any problems...yet many say...oh you need a 180 amp or 240 amp ESC.

What the hell did you make, Mike :)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    Our 4255 is gnarly on the boat.. I have ran 47 to 50 with that prop on the boat.. BUT.. its a cat.. They are hungry.. You are going to be chomping at the amps!

Still.. the 4255 DO WORK!

Grim
    Thank you
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

hey folks,
    Over here in Sydney, AUS, my young bloke (5.5yo) and I are starting to get back into boats (been around nitro stuff for many years now). I have a miss vegas nitro already, and i plan to get another boat.
    Ive been reading this thread. For what ever reason, my preference has always been either tunnel, hydro or cat.
    This new boat will be for both my son and I. He is a pretty good steerer already, drives my miss vegas pretty well....at 5.5yo!

This is what i have been thinking
    proboat BJ55
    venom KOS
    aq. ul-1
    aq. motley crew.

I like the idea of a BIG BOAT in a cat, but i also like the FE due to the easy high speed, i do really like what i see in the aq MC boat.

Peoples thoughts?...is AQ making a 26cc CAT soon ?

cheers
    Peter

Welcome to the forums here at OSE!
    Out of the list you made, I would pick the new AQ Motley Crew Cat
    Looks to be easy to set up and run with some good lipo packs..

I like this paint job better but its not the same hull
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

thanks for your input....i am now considering another option, making my nitro .21xm leg into a FE on my old topspeed2, I have 4boats already

thanks again
    Peter

Jeff,
    I tend to agree that the RTR boats need to be more "user friendly" out of the box. My son has put together several almost RTR aircraft and them seem to fly very well right "outa da box".
    JMHO to improve our sport/hobby.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=23553
    Support US hobby suppliers

I have motley crew i had to make minor adjustments but i am very happy with it. It is better than i expected to be honest with you. It is a great handling boat with some agressive speeds with grimm racer prop 42 x 55 (aqub9725).

i have won both my first two races with my mc and all i did was upgrade my prop i think grim has done a great job no problems and have had it for 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by dillier572 View Post
    i have won both my first two races with my mc and all i did was upgrade my prop i think grim has done a great job no problems and have had it for 3 months
    Congrats!

I used to race sc trucks and there is not one out there you can buy and run without having some problem without spending money. I bought a traxxas slash and put about 500 in it to make it fast without breaking. It was 399 off the shelf and after about a year I saved and bought an sc8e and it was 600 and I only replace tires now. Gotta pay to play fast. That's the fun for me. Figuring out what I can get away with and making it better. As someone coming from dirt to liquid and having bought several rtr trucks and cars I think these guys do a great job with these Fe rtr. You guys switched me over. I say let's get drunk and eat chicken fingers and fix the worlds problems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12