Thread: prop suggestions

Default prop suggestions

i just got an ekos looking for a good prop to start out with on my maiden i would like to use one that i already have this is the setup

leopard 4082 1500kv
    seaking 180amp
    .187 flex
    two 3s 4000 mah 40c in paralell (6s)

hoping to get close to 60mph but would like to start conservativly and go from there here are the props i have

k 42 plastic, 4 for pitch?
    1.4x45 plastic it also says b-2 on the hub
    grim racer 40x53

im not hip on all the different prop designations i got these from a purchase but anyways any help is apprieciated thanks

I would start with an X445.

if you just want to test and buy a cheap prop you dont need to sharpen look at the CF props sold here on OSE. They have a CF 45mm prop comparable to the 445 series. then if you like it and want the metal version buy the x445 and have it done or do it yourself, sharpen and balance the prop.
    im betting a x645 or m645 would drive that boat near 60 on 6S
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

i tried a 1.4x45 today and shredded the prop it was porposing and wah-ing real bad and then it broke so i put my k42 back on it it runs fast and ultra smooth i dont know how fast im shooting for 60 but would estimate mid 50s maybe, waiting on my gps and then ill know for sure

Did you leave any gap in the flex cable to allow for swelling? Thats odd behavior.

i dont know i just seen a vid of a miss geico using a 2030kv on 4s2p turning a 445 , my boats bigger, i dont know why it wouldnt take the 445
    jpriami if your asking if there is a gap between the drive dog and the strut then no but my flex came with what looks/feels like a blackish gray plastic washer that goes between the strut and dog so i assumed that it shoud be butted up to the strut if im wrong please let me know i really want this thing to settle down and scoot like it should also im not sure if the 1.4x45 i used was carbon or not any ways heres my setup any help is appreiciated
    leo 4082 1500kv
    t180
    .187 flex
    6s2p
    im turning 33300 unloaded rpms

You need to leave a gap between the drive dog and the plastic washer, at least 1/8" or even more.

Quote Originally Posted by DyrtyByrd View Post
    i dont know i just seen a vid of a miss geico using a 2030kv on 4s2p turning a 445 , my boats bigger, i dont know why it wouldnt take the 445
    jpriami if your asking if there is a gap between the drive dog and the strut then no but my flex came with what looks/feels like a blackish gray plastic washer that goes between the strut and dog so i assumed that it shoud be butted up to the strut if im wrong please let me know i really want this thing to settle down and scoot like it should also im not sure if the 1.4x45 i used was carbon or not any ways heres my setup any help is appreiciated
    leo 4082 1500kv
    t180
    .187 flex
    6s2p

I agree you need to leave a gap. The cable shrinks a little under a load.

so leave a gap, then is it ok if the washer is just flopping around there? are you even supposed to have a washer there? im still not sure why my prop broke

The washer should be Teflon. Sometimes they are thin fiber. It's called a thrust washer normally. It has other names too. If the gap in the cable isn't enough it's supposed to keep metal to metal contact from occurring. Sound like you hit something somehow if the prop actually broke.

With the power & speed that motor is capable of you should really be useing metal props, You may get away with carbon props but certainly not plastic. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DyrtyByrd View Post
    i dont know i just seen a vid of a miss geico using a 2030kv on 4s2p turning a 445 , my boats bigger, i dont know why it wouldnt take the 445jpriami if your asking if there is a gap between the drive dog and the strut then no but my flex came with what looks/feels like a blackish gray plastic washer that goes between the strut and dog so i assumed that it shoud be butted up to the strut if im wrong please let me know i really want this thing to settle down and scoot like it should also im not sure if the 1.4x45 i used was carbon or not any ways heres my setup any help is appreiciated
    leo 4082 1500kv
    t180
    .187 flex
    6s2p
    The venom is only approx 3" longer then the MG. Yes you could swing a MUCH bigger prop then the 2030 motor on the MG in the video you seen, BUT the hull may not like the bigger prop. With the the amount of torque your motor can put out and with a larger prop, you may experience a lot of torque roll. You still need a gap between the strut and drive dog. Gap should be the diameter of the cable. I also think x445 or m445 would work nicely. A x645, prather 220 are some other props to try as well. You maybe able to get away with a x447 2 blade.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    The venom is only approx 3" longer then the MG. Yes you could swing a MUCH bigger prop then the 2030 motor on the MG in the video you seen, BUT the hull may not like the bigger prop. With the the amount of torque your motor can put out and with a larger prop, you may experience a lot of torque roll. You still need a gap between the strut and drive dog. Gap should be the diameter of the cable. I also think x445 or m445 would work nicely. A x645, prather 220 are some other props to try as well. You maybe able to get away with a x447 2 blade.
    see thats what i was thinking from what ive been told that a 445 should work and may push me past 60mph but the 445 looks huge on the ekos i have a different rudder setup and the 445 is about 4mm from the rudder boom, as soon as i put it on i got way more torque roll alot of wah some kid of gyrating motion and it almost blew over and i never even took it to full throttle but even at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it was faster than the 442 i know its asking alot but do you think the bad habbits can be tuned out and if so where would i start, thanks

Try a Octura 440 3 blade prop if your uncomfortable with how close the 45mm blades come to the rudder boom. You should get some decent speed with that and save space.

Or if you really want to make it go try a ABC 1616-10-50(3) CLL
    thats another prop about the same size as the Octura 440 3 but has a 1.6 pitch vs the Octura 1.4
    But you may run into cavitation problems with a smaller prop and more pitch at dead stop to low speeds if u gun it suddenly.

You should experience less torque roll with these smaller props. But I think if you were running the flex with no gap prior you could possibly experience torque roll because the cable was binding making the motor work harder. So that could be a partial contributing factor to that problem.

Also look at the strut it might be able to move down a little if needed?
    Last edited by JPriami; 03-18-2011 at 10:34 PM.

thanks guys i got a 445 carbon on the way and will try it again also just got my gps today so tomorow i will get some speed tests on the 442

well i hit 50.4 mph on the 442 not as much as i would have liked but respectable none the less will try again with the 445 when it comes in

im not sure about adjusting the strut i know how changing the angle will affect the boat but how about moving it up and down when is this needed and what does it do to the attitude of the boat, thanks

Up or down is just how much water is on the prop best to my knowledge. I see most cats run the strut with the stuffing tube/prop shaft fairly level with the bottom of the sponsons. With just a hair of positive angle on the prop. I was just mentioning you could lower it if you felt the prop was going to hit the top. But as long as it's clearing and all the bolts are tight you should be ok.
    The 50mph with 6S on a 442 in a cat/hydro is pretty average so your right in range. The 445 will boost you up a bit. If you don't like the 445 because of size and clearance try a 440(3) it will get you some more speed too. If you want more try the ABC prop I mentioned for a 40mm 3 blade with 1.6 pitch. Or if 3 blades not your thing a ABC 2 blade that's 43mm with 1.6 pitch try a 1716-10-50(2)-CLL.
    Last edited by JPriami; 03-20-2011 at 10:48 PM.

do you know of anyone who makes the 3 blade props you mentioned in carbon for a 3/16 shaft? or how about 642 or 645 in carbon cant seem to find them on here

well i got my k45 yesterday and tried it out it was very windy and i put my cog as far foward as i could going by what i expierienced last time i tried a 445, and to my dismay i went 2mph slower i dont know why, maybe the cog, maybe the wind, i dont know, but im going to try again this weekend and play around with the cog i was also thinking of a v942 the numbers look outstanding but im not sure how much of a load it will put on my components

just ordered a v942 and a x642 i would have got the 645 but i dont like the temps of my caps
    with th 445 so i figured id go with the smaller higher pitch props who knows i might hit 70s with the 942 but i know things will be hot well have to see

Wish you the best.
    I run a leopard 4082 1500kv & t-180 with an m645 on my spartan. getting about 58/59mph on 6S. Temps are good. not hot to touch at all.

thanks, im just curious what do the x,y,v,p designations mean on the octura props ive looked in the catalog we have on here and can find no explaination

X - low lift prop
    M - same as X with tongue removed
    V - cleaver style blade, pointed
    P - non-progressive pitch, lower-lift version of 1700 series
    Y are like X series but have 10% more pitch

The numbers refer in couplets to the pitch ratio and the diameter in mm.
    1640 - 40mm diameter, 1.6 pitch ratio = 64mm pitch
    X640 - 40mm diameter, X blade shape, 1.6 ratio = 64mm pitch

12 are low lift ideal for submerged drive
    X4 are medium lift general purpose props
    M4 are like X4 but with the ears removed to unload the prop
    Y are like X series but have 10% more pitch
    X5 are general all purpose med lift prop
    X6 are higher lift than X4 and suitable for surface/semi surface use
    14 are moderately high lift for hydros and deep V's
    16 are high lift props for riggers and hydro's
    17 are the highest lift prop for riggers and outboards
    P7 are similar to 17 series but more rake and less lift
    19 are high lift for riggers and hydro's
    V9 are moderate lift suitable for riggers, mono's and cat
    20 are moderately high lift suitable for riggers
    21 are high lift for riggers and hydro's
    22 are high lift surface drive only good straight line speed.

Justin Priami

thank you so much priami thats alot of typing and i really apprieciate it , more than i could have asked for!

Thats ok. I didnt type it all out that time. I keep useful information saved as documents for my own personal reference incase I forget something. So I just posted it from what I had saved. I do remember having that same question as you so I took some time to research it and didnt want to loose what all I found so I took notes.

great idea thanks again!

Default stock props

Hello fellas. I just got the kos EP and was looking for more speed than the stock props. I'm running 2 3s 5000 lipo and everything else is stock. What size are the stock props? I'm thinking of going with 36mm but I think that's what's on there now. If so will be looking at x440 I guess. Anybody know the stock size? Thanks

EKOS stock prop size is 36mm. Go up to 40mm and you'll get a nice kick in speed and acceleration. Later you can swap out the motors and esc's that you can 4s lipos.